Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Fieldsy

How Long to Flush New Membranes ??
« on: June 16, 2010, 06:22:48 pm »
I've just replaced 2 x 100gpd membranes from Daqua in my small 200gpd unit..................and had them running for two and a half hours. The resultant TDS before DI is 60 !!!!. I've taken them out, made sure they are seated ok, tightened all connections and resealed everything, but it still won't budge. Is this the norm. I filled up 3x25litre drums. i don't seem to remember waiting this long before for the water to settle....................or am I just impatient.

Yes, there is an 85psi booster pump on the system  ;)

I've replaced them because my previous tds was 24, but that was after a year of use of the membranes. I expected these to be lower within a reasonable time??

Thanks
If Carlsberg made window cleaners....I'd be one of them....lol

formb

Re: How Long to Flush New Membranes ??
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 06:37:15 pm »
Phone Doug @ Daqua.

He'll sort you out I'm sure.

Fieldsy

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 08:31:06 pm »
Have rung Doug, and said I should back flush the system ???, he wasn't sure how, neither am I. Had the water running nearly 4 hours and still on 57.

Any help please :(

weetot

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 08:33:54 pm »
Someone on here was on about how to backflush a system a couple of weeks ago, not sure if the answer was put up, but if you look back at previous topics from a about 3-4 weeks ago it may help you?
Never take financial advice from people who have no money!

Fieldsy

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 08:37:47 pm »
I just thought I put new membranes in and away I go, obviously not :(

Fieldsy

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 08:58:45 pm »
Mine has an Auto flush valve ??............and still on tds 57 !!! after installing 2 new membranes.............anybody ???

cat9921

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 09:22:53 pm »
I've just replaced 2 x 100gpd membranes from Daqua in my small 200gpd unit..................and had them running for two and a half hours. The resultant TDS before DI is 60 !!!!. I've taken them out, made sure they are seated ok, tightened all connections and resealed everything, but it still won't budge. Is this the norm. I filled up 3x25litre drums. i don't seem to remember waiting this long before for the water to settle....................or am I just impatient.

I've replaced them because my previous tds was 24, but that was after a year of use of the membranes. I expected these to be lower within a reasonable time??

Thanks

Fieldsy I know this will sound stupid but is the system on backflush now , My RO still makes water when my RO is on backflush and the TDS is high  ::) if not then Change your filters and see if that helps

Adders

john tomkins

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 09:24:09 pm »
Enlarge the pic in this link and the blue valve needs to be closed to produce and open to flush
http://www.ro-man.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=1664

dmlservices

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 09:26:48 pm »

Thanks

Fieldsy I know this will sound stupid but is the system on backflush now , My RO still makes water when my RO is on backflush and the TDS is high  ::) if not then Change your filters and see if that helps

Adders

when i flush membranes , i dissconnect feed to di, and run to drain , for this very reason.

daz

Fieldsy

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 09:42:45 pm »
there is no blue valve on my system, and yes it is disconnected before DI.

Its now been running for nearly 6 hours and still on 57. Put the old membranes back in and tds has dropped to 25, which is why I took them out in the first place !!! :(

Getting severely ****** off !!

Darranvps

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 07:41:30 am »
Hi,
Are you sure you have put the membranes in the right way around?

Fieldsy

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 07:55:24 am »
Most Definately  :)

Darranvps

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2010, 08:29:43 am »
You have the brine seal at the right end :P ?

Fieldsy

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2010, 08:34:01 am »
Yep, what doesn't make sense is that putting the old membranes back in results in the tds going down ??, Using the new ones, shoots up to 57. I assumed membranes from daqua would be ok...........and I honestly can't believe both are faulty ??

john tomkins

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2010, 08:51:08 am »
you could try isolating each membrane to see if one is giving a high figure and is knackered.

You say you are getting 57 but that is both combined , you could be getting 14 out the one and 100 out the other giving a combined reading of 57 if you see what I mean

Fieldsy

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2010, 08:53:46 am »
yh, thanks John, I tried that, one is 53, the other is 68   :(

I'm also suspicious that other membranes arrived sealed and wet, as though they had been tested. These arrived sealed but bone dry, would that make any difference ??

john tomkins

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2010, 08:59:24 am »
I'd get back on to him tbh, think you have flushed them enough to be way lower than they are now.
Good luck

Fieldsy

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2010, 09:10:12 am »
Thanks  ;)

Darranvps

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2010, 12:41:44 pm »
They should not have arrived dry. I would speak with whoever you bought them from.
There is a company called Fileder in Kent - and I think they supply a lot of the resellers, perhaps you could go to them directly in future.

Dave Willis

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2010, 07:29:38 pm »
Normally they arrive and the bag is vacuum sealed. If the bag around them was loose it could have been punctured allowing the membrane to dry out and deteriorate?