This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

mlscontractcleaner

spinning pole sections
« on: June 15, 2010, 06:58:03 pm »
Hi all.

Does anyone on here have any quick fix ideas on how to solve spinning sections without taking the pole in for repair ???

I'm talking about a 35ft Xtel hybrid pole and the 1st and 2nd sections have a habit of spinning around on occasions; the 2nd section even manages to creep it's way in to the 3rd section a little if I'm working at a shallow angle and not right above myself.

I can take the pole up to Varitech for them to look at it; I'd just like to get through the rest of this week first as we're snowed under and could do without the interuption.

Cheers ;)
Come and talk dirty to us!!!

mlscontractcleaner

Re: spinning pole sections
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 06:59:19 pm »
I forgot to add; I've already tightened the clamps as far as they'll go; the pole's around 2 years old and obviously well used ;)

clean

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 07:18:51 pm »
Sometimes you can replace just the clamps as they do also get worn and that does make a difference

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 07:22:01 pm »
Hi all.

Does anyone on here have any quick fix ideas on how to solve spinning sections without taking the pole in for repair ???

I'm talking about a 35ft Xtel hybrid pole and the 1st and 2nd sections have a habit of spinning around on occasions; the 2nd section even manages to creep it's way in to the 3rd section a little if I'm working at a shallow angle and not right above myself.

I can take the pole up to Varitech for them to look at it; I'd just like to get through the rest of this week first as we're snowed under and could do without the interuption.

Cheers ;)

Have you tightened the screws on the side of the clamp?

Matt
Reaching parts traditional window cleaners can not reach.

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 07:23:07 pm »
sorry didnt read the second post, it sounds like you need new clamps.

Matt
Reaching parts traditional window cleaners can not reach.

Mike_G

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 07:32:53 pm »
Not sure what your clamps are like but if you tighten spin the handle away from the normal locking position it should tighten, or in other word open the clamp and keep going until it is about to flip right around and it should be ok for a while at least.

darragh windows

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 07:50:26 pm »
I know these are not your clamps but it will work the same either file out where i have the arrow or take your lever off and use a thinish grider blade and widen the gap you dont want to over do it just take a few mm of each side then you can tighten your screw just that little bit more it should last a few months
jamie

Steve Weatherley

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 07:57:48 pm »
If you have tightened the clamps as far as the screws will allow I suspect that the pole section has worn down meaning you may need to replace the section

mlscontractcleaner

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 08:18:45 pm »
That's what I was hoping to avoid to be honest :(

Oh well, I can't complain; like I say I've had the pole for a couple of years and it gets used all the time.

Cheers lads. :)

Mike_G

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 08:21:21 pm »
Thats the clamps i have spin the lever right round it will tighten

NJWindowCleaning

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 08:34:42 pm »
Hi 
Could you not undo the claim and fit lets say like a bit of tin or plastic and then re-do the claim up and adjust your claim so it claims snuggly and gliders better??

Londoner

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 09:35:50 pm »
Most poles get a wear ring right at the top where the clamp goes when the pole is closed and that can cause spinning. Espescially on the top two sections which are the sections are thinnest and  most of the wear occours. You can take the clamp off (or the threaded bit on the top section) cut about an inch or so off and replace the old clamp or fit a new one .

jouk45

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 09:49:54 pm »
if it is temp, then just ad some insulating tape around the 4 prongs, that will hold out for a few weeks, thats what i did with my extention for the harris pole, they have the same prongs, its worth a shot

Londoner

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2010, 09:55:43 pm »
If you have tightened the clamps as far as the screws will allow I suspect that the pole section has worn down meaning you may need to replace the section

I've replaced quite a few sections in my time but now I just buy a new pole. By the time you buy a couple of sections and new clamps its hardly worth bothering.

Window Washers

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 10:07:50 pm »
selotape will stop spinning it maybe A DAILY TAK BUT IT DOES WORK i AM DOING THIS ON THE SLX i HAVE AT THE MO TILL i GET ANOTHER NEXT WEEK, caps was a mistake sry,

Ian
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

mlscontractcleaner

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2010, 10:16:07 pm »
Cheers lads; I'll give the suggestions a go :)

Window Washers

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2010, 10:17:22 pm »
Cheers lads; I'll give the suggestions a go :)
Always welcome  ;)
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

Central Window Cleaners

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2010, 07:04:24 pm »
You could try stripping the pole down a spraying the  affected sections with a few coats of laquer

Mist A Bit

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2010, 07:07:29 pm »
i dont know if its the same thing but my clamp has let go today and i just superglue them back in place