Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Think my van engine has gone.
« on: June 09, 2010, 07:35:36 am »
Had what appears to be a sudden and catastrophic engine power failure in my van.

Had it 3 months and changed the timing belt and pulleys as soon as I got it. Now it puthers out black smoke and wont go above 10 mph. I am hoping it is something to do with the timing belt change so that the garage are liable. Other than that and I am after a new van, having spent my reserve!!

Londoner

Re: Think my van engine has gone.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 07:41:29 am »
That could be something relatively minor.

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 07:47:51 am »
did it go bang, and r u still driving it, as if it is the cam belt, buy a new engine

bobby p

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 07:49:30 am »
have a peek behind the cover where the cambelt is .  if it doesnt look slack  ,it means it hasnt  jumped any cogs and  you can breathe a big sigh

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 07:49:59 am »
That could be something relatively minor.

I hope that too, but always work on a worst case scenario. The engine was making some rather bad clattering noise afterward.

Tom White

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 08:30:14 am »
Bad news, Stuart, fella.  I hope it's not as bad as what you think.  I'm the same though; I always think the worst and it rarely (if ever) is what I think.

Get it to the garage quickly and put yourself out of the misery.

Tom Mac

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 09:31:57 am »
Blown turbo

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 09:46:09 am »
I should offer a prize for the correct analysis.  ;D

Went to the garage to speak with them this morning, in the car as I cant really drive the van, they will call round later to have a look. Judgement is reserved till then.

Whats more annoying is that I just half filled the tank for £50.00. Although looking on the bright side, if it is a blown engine it's scrap value has just doubled!

stevieg

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 10:36:25 am »
When my van was stolen i had just put £55 in it !!!!!! The most ever!!!!

chopsie

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 10:50:33 am »
Blown turbo
I am no mechanic, but this sounds about right, What van is it? a vauxhall or renault? I drove a 2x movano's that this happened to, ploom of black smoke then lost all power, I for one do not think i will ever get a vauxall/renault van as i have known of and seen too many problems with them. Same with cars, only problems i have had are with vauxhall's (bloody engine management light coming on). Got a Vw car now, love it, Would of loved a VW van but funds would not stretch (one day) Those new long wheel base caddy's look good.
chopsie

AJ

AuRavelling79

It's a game of three halves!

AJ

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 06:41:50 pm »
If it is the turbo, don't drive it. Once the turbo is mashed up, the bits can get sucked into the engine. Then you got problems.

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2010, 08:52:49 pm »
Sadly I did drive it home. About 2 miles.  :'(

There was a strange noise after a mile or so. In my defence I simply thought I was low on fuel or had some dirt in the fuel lines. Just been up and down a really steep hill. hence the £50.00 fuel.

What reward for the correct diagnosis should I offer?  ;D

NJWindowCleaning

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2010, 09:55:21 pm »
does sounds that it is set right like diesel pump isnt fire in at the right time of firing turbo probably fine as its not timed correctly. There might be a injector bloke easy to do yourself.

Glen Bullivant

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2010, 10:01:46 pm »
depends what van really, if its a vauxhall 1.7td then its almost certainly the fuel pump (useless korean part), if its common rail then you would get a trouble light on the dash if it was an injector or injector pump so it sounds like its probably the turbo, it may drop bit into your engine, but also another thing they do is that when the seal goes the turbo starts pumping your oil into the engine (which it will happily run on) until you run out of engine oil and the bottom end goes.

Also on a citroen/peugeot I have known the Cat to collapse, 90% blocking the exhaust and giving a similar experience.

good luck mate!

smearo

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2010, 10:03:07 pm »
u sure aint put petrol in instead of diesel ???

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2010, 03:42:01 pm »
The garage came and had a look this morning while I was out working from my wifes car.

Called in just now on my way past.

"Did you have a chance to look at the van Graham"

"Yes" (Bit of a pause)

"It's not good Stuart!"

"How bad" (No reply) "Is it dead?" I wanted to make it easy for him.

"I'm afraid so"

"What caused it?"

"It's hard to tell without stripping it down"

"If you want a project you can do that if you want"

"No thanks.........Iv'e been on to my engine guy, no point trying to rebore ect. etc" He then said lots of stuff which I didn't understand.

"Is it scrap then"

"Yes"

So thats it then, dead van and a grand loss of just over £2k that is if I get a few hundered scrap.

My address is on my website for cash of bottles of whiskey!!

Stuart

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2010, 05:20:36 pm »
Actually I just worked out that I had the van for exactly 8 weeks!! Quite costly that.

Glen Bullivant

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2010, 05:22:51 pm »
rather than lose £2K, why not try to source a new engine, shouldn't cost you half of that if your careful.

damn shame mate.