Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Rogue Trader

VAT exempt or not?
« on: May 27, 2010, 08:45:37 pm »
Does anyone know if doctors surgeries are VAT exempt? , i gotta put in a quote for one and this will determine the quote,

Thanks

Matt

Re: VAT exempt or not?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 08:55:46 pm »
Why would it make a difference? If you are VAT registered you have to charge them VAT anyway. If not it makes no difference.  ???

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 09:24:24 pm »
u r the one charging vat, not them,  there only things i think that are vat excemp is food and kids cloths,

Rogue Trader

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 09:46:18 pm »
i am competing against non VAT reg window cleaners , meaning that if the surgery are VAT registerd then i can charge say £50 + vat and that means that they only pay £50 cos they claim the VAT back if they are not VAT reg then they cant claim the VAT back so they end up paying £58.75 compared to a non VAT reg window cleaner charging £50 and getting the job. If they are VAT exempt i dont have to charge VAT and am on a level playing field with non VAT reg companies.

sherco

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 09:49:55 pm »
They still have to pay you Vat as you are vat registered even if they are vat exempt.
Natural stone floor restoration service.
Natural stone fixing and repairs.
www.poshstonefloors.co.uk

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 09:50:44 pm »
i am sure u still have to charge vat, they just cant claim it back,  ring the tax man and ask him

mci services

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 09:52:39 pm »
thats not right you still have to charge vat whether they are vat registered or not. but as they are a doctors surgery i am pretty sure they will be turning over more than 70k so they will be vat registered even if they are exempt charging vat they can still claim it back so if you quote 50 +vat and the other company charges 50 it makes no odds as they can claim it back

Rogue Trader

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 10:02:40 pm »
i do a nursing home who are VAT exempt and my accountant has informed me that i do not charge them VAT

mci services

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 10:05:46 pm »
i will give an example if it helps. my mate is a fishmonger and is vat exempt. he doesnt pay vat from the wholesalers market for the fish and he doesnt charge vat from his customers. but he is vat registered as he turns over the required amount. so he claims back the vat on fuel, window cleaner, all expenses etc but pays no vat on his fish

edit
just read your last post maybe i am wrong so best to phone hrmc

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 07:05:24 am »
I would presume that if you are VAT reg and your accountant says not to charge VAT there must be something to do with Zero rating, phone the surgery and then HM Rev.

richyp

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 06:29:57 pm »
if you are vat registered you have to charge vat, simples!!

awcs

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2010, 08:52:09 pm »
Ask for cash. my surgery pays me out of petty cash

Rogue Trader

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2010, 09:35:53 pm »
if you are vat registered you have to charge vat, simples!!

thanks for that , pure genius ::)

Ask for cash. my surgery pays me out of petty cash

hmm :o

stephen.b1

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2010, 09:36:25 pm »
some of you guys have got it completley wrong
surgerys are 0.00% rated vat so is new build housing
fill out your Quote as normal and replace the 17.5% for 0.00% then total
simples iam vat registerd and work on new build

ronnie paton

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2010, 10:13:00 pm »
i would chek this outhas my understanding from th vat helpline is that you charge everyone vat ie resident ass are non profit making org but i have to chzrge vat!!!!!

david willis

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2010, 10:17:22 pm »
I think you could have a point and would take advice from your accountant

When carrying out work that is funded by government you don't charge VAT and that is if you are VAT registered or not so I would say same applies here

ronnie paton

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2010, 06:47:16 am »
just a quick note if the said is true about not charging vat what happens if they  take some petty ash to say get some ink from staples do they say o by the way dont carge us vat???

ray l

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2010, 08:03:17 pm »
A few things I,d mention here ( after a bottle of wine )

1) Put in your quote with a note   "excluding any taxes"  dont say you are vat registered unless asked.
     Let them clain it back if they are enttled to it.

2) Some one said about new builds, its only the insides that come under this. Don,t blaim me or quote
     me. But check it with hmrc to be sure.(I might be thinking of construction register )

3) Take the hit on vat but increase your price year on year.