This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

broadband
« on: August 20, 2005, 07:17:18 pm »
ok it's not window cleaning but it is the tool many of us use to communicate on our favourite topic
does anybody else keep going offline for no reason on broadband
i get the adsl light flashing and the only cure seems to be taking the phone off the hook - then the light goes solid
i have passed this on to friends with broadband and it works for them, but there surely must  be a more permanent cure
can anyone help :-\

Bazzy1999

Re: broadband
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005, 09:07:09 pm »
Who are you with.. AOL..NTL?

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 10:36:00 pm »
wannadont ;D

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2005, 12:53:13 am »
i`m on ntl and ive never had a problem, I think cable is more reliable 
Sussex by the sea

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2005, 12:57:54 am »
wanadoo been great 99% of the time

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2005, 01:17:23 am »
filters need to be in the right place if your useing a phone and broadband connection check you have things setup correctly

Sussex by the sea

Ian Rochester

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2005, 06:42:31 am »
I had this problem when I first started using broadband and it was due to the fact I was running my broadband via an extension cable cable from the main phone socket in the house.

I have now run a permanent cable up to the office (little bedroom) from the BT socket outside the house.

The other problem is you may have a dodgy box Have you spoken to wanadoo about the problem?

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2005, 07:28:05 am »
I am on an extension cable - To be fair, it's not that bad a problem, but happens most days - the phone sometimes crackles too so maybe BT can have a look

Ian_Giles

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2005, 09:24:31 am »
One thing you do need to check is how many things you have plugged into your phone line, fax's answer phones, other phones and so on!
Every appliance has a load rating (usually '1')
if this load rating (usually found on the back of the phone or appliance somewhere) on all of the appliances you have add up to more than 4 the you will keep getting kicked offline.

Make sure that you are connected directly to the main phone inlet.

And modems hate cordless phones too!! So if you have a couple of those that can also cause problems.

regards,

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2005, 09:30:27 am »
Cheers Ian and everyone - I have a couple of phones inc. one cordless so I will do a little experimenting today :)

Paul Coleman

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2005, 11:25:32 am »
Cheers Ian and everyone - I have a couple of phones inc. one cordless so I will do a little experimenting today :)

I just felt that I ought to say I have broadband too.  I use an extension cable (only 3 metres) and I have a cordless phone.  I have not  had any such problems with the broadband.
Too many devices can be an issue .  Personally I only have the broadband and cordless phone hooked up.  If you have several devices, there can be problems.
Don't take the following as gospel as I'm going by memoery  ;) .  If you have a splitter anywhere BEFORE the broadband, it may cause a problem.  Also, if the extension cable is very long, again this may cause a problem.  Maybe try the usenet newsgroups on this?  There is one called uk.telecom and there are some pretty knowledgeable people on there.

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2005, 07:11:01 pm »
thanks Shiner - I have two phones and three points with a about 10m of cable - been out today so might do the fiddling tomorrow ;)

Colin_Glenn

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2005, 07:58:35 pm »
You guys are all lucky!!!

I got UKOnline last week. The Modem came, I waited till last Monday for the system to go live. I got an Email Monday night to say it was live, set up the modem and ........... NOTHING. NOT A PEEP. The power light comes on but no ADSL light.

Phoned UKOnline, spent 25 mins waiting to be spoken to. Went through everything that I had already tried, Nothing. They sent out new filters, nothing doing. Spent another 45 mins waiting to be spoken to. They tested the line again, got me to strip down my main box to try the little socket inside......Nothing.

Now they have bumped me up to the next level of engineers and said "Dont call us again, some one will call you...." HA!!!

So my first payment will go out of my bank tomorrow and I have already had a week without anything. Not to mention the money I have spent using dial up while I should have been surfing at warp 10 on adsl. AND the money I spent to thier dedicated help line. I am really frustrated.

So far I do NOT recomend UKONLINE!!!

Colin
 >:( >:( >:(
Transparent Weather Exclusion Systems Technician.

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2005, 09:25:49 pm »
Had problems like colin_Glenn with Homecall spent lots of time on phone, got agrivated told them to stick b-band where the sun don't shine, to my suprise they did,then tried to charge for twelve months,
in reply I put claim in against them claiming product was substandard and I wanted compensating for inconveniance and loss of business(via web site)all went quite.

now with one tel 2 meg b-band good service to date

run b-band at end of 8 mtre extenshion no problem, I think all extenshions must have filters in correct place.. (I,ve got spares from home call (not asked for equip back Yet)
The secret is not doing as you like but liking what you do
www.thewindowcleaner.biz

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2005, 10:14:07 pm »
Tesco broadband for me. Never any trouble.

I'm sorry to use the "T" word Graham, but at least it wasn't Mor***sons!