Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

coyote7

Victorian tiled floor
« on: April 30, 2010, 12:21:17 pm »
Hi Guys,

Went to quote on a letting job and the carpet in the hallway was ripped out and this gem of a floor was hidden underneath. Been asked if I could clean it but have no experience in hard floor cleaning. It is covered in glue from where the carpet laid on top and some of the tiles are damaged. It is about a metre wide and roughly 15 foot long. Is hard floor cleaning a good thing to do as a side line and what kind of money could you charge to do a job like this ??? It might be the nudge I need to get myself on a hard floor course.

All thoughts appreciated as always ;D

Rich

Paul Redden Countryfresh

Re: Victorian tiled floor
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 01:34:29 pm »
Did a similar one, my god was it hard work, completely undercharged it, took ages getting glue off.

do a test on some glue and see what solvents work before you price it.
"So basically its a big vax!"

coyote7

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 01:55:23 pm »
Thanks didn't think it would be easy first impressions and all. So what would be a competitive price for such a job ::)

murky

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 02:01:36 pm »
Speak to sherco on the general side, he does these all the time.

Firstly i dont use solvents, just a roto with a good stripping solution and a black pad, that should do it, but he will confirm.

Steve. Taylor

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 05:10:21 pm »
Difficult to say just looking at pictures need to see first hand really. but here goes

1. Do a small test with a solvent caution

2. Rubber gloves very hot water almost boiling

3. warm iron keep it moving on brown paper

4. green pad on buffer soak the pad first in solution diluted stripper keep it moving and wet.

5. wait and see what sherco says. ;D

Warning this job may take time price accordingly just some of the methods used by me over the years
Steve T       All the gear but no idea!
www.leatherrepairsouthampton.co.uk

Steve. Taylor

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 05:57:11 pm »
For got to mention before you do anything check the subbase of the tiles these probaly where laid around 130 years ago quick test you could get on your hands and knees pat the floor and feel the vibration through your knees for loose ones.

sherco

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 06:00:46 pm »
I will be back to this one a bit later.. ;D
Natural stone floor restoration service.
Natural stone fixing and repairs.
www.poshstonefloors.co.uk

adimarsh

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 08:23:35 pm »
Coyote7

No disrespect intended but, if you have no experience in hard floor cleaning this is absolutely not the floor to practice on; it will come back to bite you.

Steve. Taylor

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 08:28:35 pm »
Just read this post again the other thing to consider are the broken tiles this work is restoration and no amount of cleaning will fix these.
And if you want to go into hard flooring then yes it is good work and makes a change to carpets see your in wiltshire prochem do a course for hard flooring i am based southampton not to far from you would be happy for you to come  along on any hardfloor work i do.

Colin Day

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 09:09:22 pm »
If found that flooring under my carpet, I'd pay almost anything to have it professionally reclaimed and restored.... Pass the job on to an expert mate!!! :)

Steve Barnett (Carpet Care Plus)

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 09:37:32 pm »
The biggest problem you might have is that the gripper looks like it has been laid on PA5, which is a 2 part resin adhesive and sticks like s**t to a blanket in 5 minutes.

coyote7

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 09:37:53 pm »
Thanks for the replys guys just confirming my gut feeling that I should leave it well alone I think it will take some time even with experience. Just want to get it sorted for the land lady as she has said if it is to much then they will just put carpet over it again which would be a shame :'( as I am sure it will come up a treat.

coyote7

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 09:40:16 pm »
Steve thanks for the offer you are probably a little to far from me but nice gesture. Think I will give the prochem course a bash soon ;D

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 09:43:09 pm »
Coyote

From experience, I think the best course you can do is the IICRC one at Alltec, very technical but what the trainer doesn't know about hard floors isn't worth knowing.

derek west

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 09:48:24 pm »
may 24th 25th and 26th. see ya there. ;)

Steve. Taylor

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2010, 09:57:11 pm »
Steve your right about the pa5 got to be carefull when sanding this keep it wet wear face mask contains peroxide. been down this route got some info from ball or bale think that was the name :-\

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2010, 10:00:50 pm »
Steve - yes it was manufactured by F.Ball & Co, they have stopped making it, which is a shame as it's a fantastic product, you can stretch away from it in about 10 minutes. No doubt some H & S halfwit decreed it as unsafe.

Steve. Taylor

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2010, 10:07:03 pm »
Yeah most use a spray glue now. thats it ball bales the tile adhesive ::)

sherco

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2010, 10:11:46 pm »
This type of floor can be restored by just following a few rules..These tiles floors should not be soaked with large volumes of water as this could eventually loosen the tiles, i would use Aqua mix sealer & coating remover on this floor to remove any glue, paint etc. The once i have used this i would use Aqua mix heavy duty tile & grout cleaner and some Nano scrub, use a low speed scrubbing machine, clean relatively small areas and when each has been well scrubbed rinse several times with clean water, once the whole floor has been done, do it all over again, throughout this process it is important to monitor the cleaning solution and rinsing water, change them frequently as they get dirty. Acid cleaning solutions can be used especially where there is grout, or cement and levelling compounds have left a residue on the tiles. Only use acid where you will not damage fabrics or skirting, and always test on a tile before commencing. Once the tiles are clean it must be sealed Acrylic sealers are probably the best for this type of floor, these are easy to apply and the amount of sheen can be tailored to what the customer wants. Avoid using natural waxes for these floors as these trap dirt and discolour as the coats accumulate, and can be slippery and require alot of maintenance. You will not learn how to clean these on a Prochem course as i have done there course.

Natural stone floor restoration service.
Natural stone fixing and repairs.
www.poshstonefloors.co.uk

Andrew Briscoe

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2010, 10:12:07 pm »
Personally i wouldnt bother, if you look down right hand side, about 18"
of the pattern is missing, i would say the right hand wall has been knocked
down, and a new partition wall has been put in to make adjoining room bigger.

Would be a good floor to practice on, but like Steve says the glue will be a ball ache.

Andrew