Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

dmlservices

Re: what are the pros and cons of business banking
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2010, 08:36:51 pm »
its a waste of time for domestic cheques from house cleans but can be handy for bigger commercial work - many councils - so that includes schools and so on will only write cheques to a business name to help the tax man keep an eye on earnings.

When i get cheques from larger jobs and they make them out to my business name , I just write my name next to it on the pay line, never had a problem yet :)

what do you do about initialing the changes, or do you forge a signature?

daz

Window Washers

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2010, 08:38:54 pm »
why do people scrimp on a business thing like a business account   ::), does your money you drop hit you on the back of the head ?
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2010, 08:41:29 pm »

Because you dont have to filter thru 12 months of personal and business transactions,

Business account is for the business,

Personal account is for your personal money,

Simples.

I transfer money from my business account to my personal account every month.

Dean.

You just set up a seperate personal account, it doesn't have to be a business account. You use this account only for business purposes then.

Simpleser.
in banks term & conditions,you are not allowed to but business money though a personal accounts. :o

For a sole trader it's classed as personal.

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2010, 08:57:00 pm »
why do people scrimp on a business thing like a business account   ::), does your money you drop hit you on the back of the head ?

Some are wiser than others so can see when a business account is totally unnecessary in purpose & cost. ;)

Dean Taberner

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2010, 09:00:36 pm »
Is this thread for real ??? ??? ???

All bank charges are tax deductable.

Dean.
Operations manager at J.V Price Ltd

http://www.thepricegroup.co.uk

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2010, 09:08:17 pm »
Is this thread for real ??? ??? ???

All bank charges are tax deductable.

Dean.

Vans are tax deductable, why don't you go out & spend 20k on one tomorrow?

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2010, 09:14:41 pm »
Open two personal accounts a different banks use one for personal and one for business. On the top of your invoices put N J Norman trading as “Skippies Window Cleaner”

Dean Taberner

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2010, 09:14:56 pm »
Theres abit of a difference in mate,

Each to ones own.

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2010, 09:19:53 pm »
Theres abit of a difference in mate,

Each to ones own.

The point is that it is foolish to spend for the purpose of saving tax.

If you need/want/require a business account than that's fine but to assume the thread is a joke just "because it's tax deductable" shows where the real advice is coming from. ;)

Dean Taberner

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2010, 09:24:53 pm »
I have a business account because my business needs one,

If yours can run without one and its legal to do it then yeah why not do it that way?

If a business is to grow to its potential though it will at some point need to have a business account.

Ryan @ Transparent, Carlisle

« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2010, 09:57:17 pm »
i got my busness account when i was only turning over 600 a month.....  :o

FREE for a year.... thereafter i think its 20p to pay a check in [can pay upto 5 checks in on the same 20p :D]

Carey Ward

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2010, 10:02:15 pm »
Alliance & Leicester is sort of free - Chq's take at least 4 days to be put on your account.  Cheques have to be posted to them or handed over at post office (so you don't need a stamp) word of advice - I had an envelope go missing after I handed it over to Post office (you do get receipt which I advise you to keep until chq's are credited to your account) - when I advised them that chq's had gone astray they were not interested so advisable to keep good note of who your chq's are from should you need to ask for another one.

Would say that it's just as easy to use a separate personal account (as stated above it is easier when doing your year end / tax etc)
- banks these days take no notice of whats on the chq - I put one in the other month that hadn't even been signed and it was credited no problem - they don't have the time which is possibly why chq's are being removed in 2018
- I used to be bugged when putting in lots of chq's to  my personal account when paying in at the counter - they used to say have you thought about a business account or Oooo you need to have a business account - silly beggers have now installed machines for depositing chq's and cash - hey presto no more bugging

Hope this helps

Paul Coleman

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2010, 11:08:10 pm »
As the title says  :D

All the money that i earn goes into a current account which pays for all the household bills etc.

what are the fees for business banking and is it worth it....

Business accounts can cost a fair bit in charges once you get past any free trial period.  This can be quite expensive for domestic window cleaners because the cheque transactions are often a smallish amount and payingf a "per transaction" fee can be a pain.
Santander give free business banking for life so long as you deposit less than 100 cheques per month and less than 3 grand cash (I think) per month.  Most sole traders will stay within those limits or, as I have done several times, hold a few cheques back for the following month.  The big drawback for me is that Santander will not supply the BACS reference numbers with which you supply your customer.  Anyone paying this way is given a unique ID by me consisting of house number (or abbreviation of house name) plus their postcode.  By not displaying this reference, Santander effectively expect me to guess who has paid.  This is often possible because surname and amount are displayed.  However, as more and more customers pay like this, surnames and amounts can easily be duplicated - especially with the more commonly occurring names.  The upside of Santander for me is that it is easy for me to deposit cash and cheques (it has to be at their branch ATMs).  I live a few minutes walk away from a branch.
If you are a member of the FSB (recommended) you also qualify for free business banking with Co-op bank.  Deposits may be made at certain pre-selected post offices (up to four) so you would be rerstricted to doing this in office hours.  It is possible to nominate the post offices on various parts of your round.  However, the customer service pepple at Co-op bank tell me that if you don't use a post office regularly, it can be awkward making deposits.  I couldn't follow their logic on this.  Co-op bank do show the BACS references and they even show the account number from which the customer paid (not that I need that second bit of info).

The end result of this is that I pay cash and cheques into Santander via their ATM.  I receive BACS payments to my Co-op account.  Gradually the emphasis will switch more and more to the Co-op account as less people use cheques until their phasing out in 2018.  This may sound complicated but it's the way that works best for me.  Two free business accounts to enable me to use the best features of each.

I even asked Santander if I should pay my credit card by BACS and just give "P Coleman" as the reference instead of my 16 digit card number.  Of course I was being sarcastic and my brand of wit wasn't appreciated.

FSB membership costs me £100 a year (a bit more for the first year I think) and is tax deductible.  I believe it is worth having - particularly as they cover the accountancy fees in an investigation.  An insurance policy alone for that would cost more than the membership fee and you can get other things from the FSB too.

Frankybadboy

« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2010, 07:19:53 am »

For a sole trader it's classed as personal.
wrong ;)