This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

james44

Re: wfp and ladders
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2010, 11:17:43 pm »
ok heres my scenario, i have a van mount wfp but i do a flat above some shops. on a town centre cross roads with traffic lights. so i cant park close enough to use the van mount. luckily i also have a trolley so i could use that.

my problem is i then pour water all over the shops below to clean the flat windows and also cause a lot of water falling above entrances to the shop soaking customers of the shop and causing water to be trailed into the shops below.

so for me the safest practicable option is to ladder the job using safety precautions.

This would be correct would it not!

idealrob

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2010, 11:42:10 pm »
A full risk assesment, would conclude that a telescopic pole, fitted with a mop and squeegee would be the safest option would it not, and comply with the law
simple is it

idealrob

mci services

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2010, 11:51:24 pm »
A full risk assesment, would conclude that a telescopic pole, fitted with a mop and squeegee would be the safest option would it not, and comply with the law
simple is it

idealrob

i cant argue with that really. except that the top openers are leaded

idealrob

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2010, 11:54:23 pm »
If they are leaded, then finish off with a clamp with a scrim clamped to it, still simple, and no wfp

idealrob

mci services

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2010, 11:57:35 pm »
If they are leaded, then finish off with a clamp with a scrim clamped to it, still simple, and no wfp

idealrob

ok i lose well done ;D

williamx

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2010, 09:06:13 am »
ok heres my scenario, i have a van mount wfp but i do a flat above some shops. on a town centre cross roads with traffic lights. so i cant park close enough to use the van mount. luckily i also have a trolley so i could use that.

my problem is i then pour water all over the shops below to clean the flat windows and also cause a lot of water falling above entrances to the shop soaking customers of the shop and causing water to be trailed into the shops below.

so for me the safest practicable option is to ladder the job using safety precautions.  

and a lady with her 4 year walks out of the shop, she is trying to control the child and dosn't see the ladder.

She crashes into the ladder and the ladder falls, the cleaner falls and lands on the child breaking his back in the process.

The child, who saved the cleaners life because he had a softer landing, dies from severe head injuries.

Will the hse accept your risk assement that the use of a ladder was correct in this case??

Martin ccs

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2010, 01:35:36 pm »
yeah all the time - some jobs/windows/customers just arent right for wfp on my round.

they are just both tools to clean windows etc... so it doesnt matter what you use aslong as the jobs done properly and the customers are happy!

Martin I think the HSE won't agree to that.
remember ladders must only be used after all safer alternatives have been ruled out.

Matt

i thing you are wrong in some ways. yes hs  are clamping down on ladder use but how do you explain all the trad only guys then?

all i said was i use them from time to time and the other comment about ladders n wfp are just tools was to cool off any wfp v trad wars.

everyone on here thinks they know everything!

dazmond

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2010, 01:59:13 pm »
the windows on a recent commercial job have come up really well with trad pole 25 ft in the air!its on a main road and i do the bottom windows as well.i plan to wfp the lot next time but in the middle of winter i will use trad pole again if risk of water freezing on the ground as that will be the safest method of doing the job.

the public walk on this pavement so im reluctant to wfp the bottoms because of wetting the pavement.

what do you guys do if an account is on a main road/public footpath??trad bottoms? ???
price higher/work harder!

mci services

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2010, 04:24:27 pm »
yes i trad all my shops etc

daz1977

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2010, 04:27:14 pm »
i wfp every thing except the inside of a chipy  and might do 3 bungys trad, if i fancy a change for a bit,  but other that than  dont even take ladders out with me any more, not ever for the guttering jobs

gary999

« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2010, 04:30:10 pm »
i used mine today wfping a con ,was too tight to get
any angle from ground on one side so slung me ladder
up so i could splash water around ;D