This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

th77

wfp and ladders
« on: April 27, 2010, 04:47:47 pm »
Do any of you guys using wfp still use ladders?
And if so,what for?

Martin ccs

Re: wfp and ladders
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 04:50:01 pm »
yeah all the time - some jobs/windows/customers just arent right for wfp on my round.

they are just both tools to clean windows etc... so it doesnt matter what you use aslong as the jobs done properly and the customers are happy!

DaveG

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 04:50:26 pm »
Use steps occasionally for reaching above flat roofs and use my ladders for emptying out the odd gutter :)
You can't polish a turd

dazmond

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 05:06:44 pm »
h2ose do you use a little 3 step stool to stand on when wfpoling over certain kitchen extensions etc?

i was thinking about this the other day as when i go wfp i dont want to get my ladders out and stand on the roof(like i do now! ::)) for the odd job or two.

regards

dazmond
price higher/work harder!

DaveG

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 05:12:13 pm »
Hi Daz Ive got some "5 step" ladders that are ideal for reaching over roofs, I did try some "3 steps" but they were a bit too small, especially if the windows are stepped back quite a bit
You can't polish a turd

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 05:12:33 pm »
yeah all the time - some jobs/windows/customers just arent right for wfp on my round.

they are just both tools to clean windows etc... so it doesnt matter what you use aslong as the jobs done properly and the customers are happy!

Yep, same here plus insides of hotels, schools etc.

mlscontractcleaner

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 05:16:15 pm »
I need a ladder to get up on some garage roofs on one job, on top of a metal roof between two office blocks, on top of a small roof on a block of flats and that's about it I think. Never to clean windows; even inside pubs I just pinch a chair to stand on ;D
Come and talk dirty to us!!!

paul rulton

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 06:34:03 pm »
hell no!!! they had 2go  ;D if i get a job where i need a ladder i will past it 2 1of me m8s  ;)

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 06:46:23 pm »

Martin I think the HSE won't agree to that.
remember ladders must only be used after all safer alternatives have been ruled out.

Matt
Reaching parts traditional window cleaners can not reach.

james44

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 09:02:44 pm »
ladders must only be used after all safer alternatives have been ruled out

these rules are all misleading, you can use a ladder provided it is safe and secure, what if i dont have any alternatives no wfp no extention poles, i can use my ladder!

mci services

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 09:07:36 pm »
yes i use wfp and ladders, sometimes i deem wfp the safest. practical option and other times i deem ladders to be safer and practical

james44

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 09:12:26 pm »
true stu-mac

Sometimes wfp can be the safest method but might not be practical

ladders on the other hand can be more practical but might not be the safest method confused so are the rules ;D

geoffreyspecht

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 09:48:03 pm »

Martin I think the HSE won't agree to that.
remember ladders must only be used after all safer alternatives have been ruled out.

Matt
i still use ladders

williamx

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 10:01:19 pm »
I haven't used a ladder in the last 7-8 years and I do not intend to start a bad habit again, if a window cannot be cleaned with a pole then it stays dirty.

As "spock" would say Live LONG and prosper

C.C.W.C

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 10:15:59 pm »
only for a hotel we do and thats it

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2010, 10:28:53 pm »

these rules are all misleading, you can use a ladder provided it is safe and secure, what if i dont have any alternatives no wfp no extention poles, i can use my ladder!

If you dont have a safer alternative then you can use a set off ladders.
but if you had a WFP set up in your van, but chose to use the ladders and you fall off them the HSE would come down on you like a tonne of bricks.

Matt

Reaching parts traditional window cleaners can not reach.

james44

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2010, 10:36:56 pm »
If you dont have a safer alternative then you can use a set off ladders.
but if you had a WFP set up in your van, but chose to use the ladders and you fall off them the HSE would come down on you like a tonne of bricks.
no matt as i have said it is all misleading

Sometimes wfp can be the safest method but might not be practical

ladders on the other hand can be more practical but might not be the safest method

mci services

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2010, 10:39:31 pm »
ok heres my scenario, i have a van mount wfp but i do a flat above some shops. on a town centre cross roads with traffic lights. so i cant park close enough to use the van mount. luckily i also have a trolley so i could use that.

my problem is i then pour water all over the shops below to clean the flat windows and also cause a lot of water falling above entrances to the shop soaking customers of the shop and causing water to be trailed into the shops below.

so for me the safest practicable option is to ladder the job using safety precautions.  

Mist A Bit

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2010, 10:42:20 pm »
i use wfp 70% of the time. i have some work where my van mount is to inpractical so untill i get a backpack for those jobs i still use ladders where nessesery. Once i`ve got the backpack it will be 100% wfp

idealrob

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2010, 11:12:15 pm »

not misleading, as you said they are rules, and its a law passed in parliament, and enforsable and you could go to jail if you blatently ignore the rules or seriously injure or kill some one because of not abiding by this law, and this applies to WFP as well as ladders.
There is a law on having an MOT on a car every year on a car over 3 years old, if you cant afford or dont have one doesnt exclude you from the law. Fact
Its idiots saying the rules are missleading is the problem, please tell us whats missleading, the fact that if you dont consider all the options, and you still use a ladder is ok, as long as its secured, and a full written risk assesment is done, simple.
i saw a w/c today cleaning ground floor shop windows with a pointer, when under  WAHR law, all work has to be done from ground where possible, you quote no extension poles, but a W/C could use a £1.50 broom shank, simple, no need for risk assesment, and if you cant afford 30 bob, time to give up
Sick of excuses, and b & q do a harris pole for under a tenner, and you wont get fined
we just got a £60k contract, because the previous firm ,constantly broke HSE law, and the building owner did not want to got to jail because of their incompetancy

idealrob