Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

from edge2edge

transit van suspension upgrade
« on: April 26, 2010, 04:19:19 pm »
Hi guys have any of you had an upgrade on your van to accomodate more weight.Heres my dilemma.I have a 56 plate swb transit 280 with a steamway 9100lx in it which puts me close to the weight restriction when full of fuel and water.I sometimes need to carry my thermadry system and it has put me in a position where i have just had my nsr tyre replaced due to excessive weight.I have spoken to the local ford dealer and he is going to get back to me with an answer as to whether or not it can be done and at what price.Regards Alan(swindon)

richie

Re: transit van suspension upgrade
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 04:50:28 pm »
What size tyres are on your van?

from edge2edge

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 06:08:50 pm »
195 70r15c

richie

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 10:50:46 pm »
with the suspension uprated you will need to put 16 inch wheels on the van.  Uprating is something that is possible but dont have it one at Ford as they will charge you a fortune.

Richie.

from edge2edge

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 10:52:42 pm »
Thanks for that Richie i will look into getting someone local to sort it for me.Regards Alan(swindon)

derek west

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 10:54:44 pm »
getting it uprated is one thing, getting the plate changed! who's gonna do that, then theres your insurance! probably cheaper to trade in,

from edge2edge

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 05:58:37 am »
Yes that is a great van for loading and kit etc but was a bit too big for work in Oxford tight streets.Hope all is going wel mate.Regards Alan(like the signwritting too)  Swindon

murky

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 08:20:49 am »
Edgie,

Upgrading the springs on your van wont help, I used to be HGV driver, all that does is make your van look lighter and therefore wont get stopped. Also I think your rear axle has a sensor on it to compensate the braking, your springs wont compensate for that.

Just find your local weighbridge and go in with your kit and say half a tank of water, they will tell you what you can and cant do, they are very helpful if you ask them. They look at your 'plate' and tell you how near you are to the limit, think it costs about £20.00.

They are not helpful if you get pulled by the yellow jackets or the Police. As I think someone on here got done a while ago will tell you.

Murky

Simon@arenaclean

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 02:05:50 pm »
Yes that is a great van for loading and kit etc but was a bit too big for work in Oxford tight streets.Hope all is going wel mate.Regards Alan(like the signwritting too)  Swindon

Sorry did not want to hijack the thread, all ply lined and insulated, straight through the mot :D Chuffed thanks!