Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Mike55

Laminate flooring
« on: March 30, 2010, 12:35:06 am »
Hi Guys,

I have been asked by a custy if I could fit a laminate floor for them.  Can anyone help me with current rate pricing for this sort of job. (ie is there a charge per sq metre?). 

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers
Mike

Deep Cleaning Solutions

Re: Laminate flooring
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 07:47:54 am »
Traitor! :P
David.
Owner of Deep Cleaning Solutions.
Expert in Web Design & SEO
www.rocketwebsitedesigners.co.uk

Joe H

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 07:49:07 am »
Excluding the cost of all the materials, what else do you need to cover

your time (inc travel costs etc)

so what do you need to earn to be comfortable?

You can take that to an hourly rate or a day rate.

Keyplus    ;D

Steve Barnett (Carpet Care Plus)

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 08:01:09 am »
I charge £ 200 per day to "fit only" laminate or £ 8.00 per m2.

I hope you've got all the right tools and not just the mickey mouse installation kit that the diy sheds sell.

Steve

Mike55

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 07:59:42 pm »
Cheers guys...it's actually for someone I know....I'm a windy cleaner but have been asked to do it.   ;)

I just wondered what the going rate was and I'll knock some off as I know them.

What more do you need to fit laminate other than the standard gear available from your DIY shop?

Steve Barnett (Carpet Care Plus)

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 08:19:23 pm »
Undercut jamb saw
Mitre saw
Straight edge
Nail gun
Coloured silicone ........... and plenty of other problem solving bits and pieces.

I get paid to lay a floor professionally so I have the correct tools. If you're using a DIY kit then you're doing a DIY job, which is fine unless you're charging for it, in which case shouldn't you be using the best tools you can to do a proper job ?

Just my opinion.

Jim_77

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 10:27:59 pm »
Very very true Steve.

How's the karcher Puzzi working out for you? ;D ;D

Jim_77

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 10:29:45 pm »
but seriously, I presume Mike isn't doing this as a day to day business, but just needs to earn a few beer tokens whilst saving his mate some dosh.

Actually don't get me started on laminate floor laying, I laid my first ever one last year (DIY job at home)... it went OK but there are many things you learn as you go along such as dammit I should have laid them 90 degrees to the way I did it!!

P.S. Mike my best advice is take the skirting boards off, it is an absolute ball ache trying to lay them up to the skirting with an expansion gap and then using beading... no wall is straight, you get a gap bigger than the size of your beading in a lot of cases!!

Dave Whittaker

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 11:00:12 pm »
If you decide to go for it Mike just make sure the first row you lay goes in perfectly -

If that first row has any movement in it when you fit up to it, chances are you'll have a mare with the whole job. And chop the bottom of the interior door posts out and fit the laminate under the posts. That cork pooe that diy'ers fill the gaps with look blimmin awful.