Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Adam Fearnley

Shrinkage?
« on: February 19, 2010, 09:04:58 pm »
I cleaned a synthemtic carpet today, all edges seemed well gripped, a few minuetes after cleaning it starts to bobble in places but the carpet hasn't come away from the edges.  I was using a CFR at 300psi, after using the blower on it it seemed to start to flatten out.  Because the edges of the carpet didn't come away from the wall at all im wondering if it was still shrinkage or maybe stretching??

Sorry the pic wont load

derek west

Re: Shrinkage?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 09:21:19 pm »
stretching, will be fine tomorrow, go have a beer.

Adam Fearnley

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 09:27:07 pm »
Sweet, I presume it's because I got the backing wet??  but why did it strech and not shrink??

derek west

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 10:05:18 pm »
not a clue, ive had a few wavey ones, every one has settled back down, no one knows why but my guess is nylon content in the backing.

John Kelly

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 10:11:10 pm »
Its just caused by swelling of the fibres which over a full room can be quite marked. As they dry the flatten out. If you imagine every foot of carpet swells by 1mm, over the whole room that can look frightening.
Its the same with timber floors in a flood. Even if they have only had a 5% moisture increase they can look like the Himalayas, unfortunately or fortunately if you are being paid to rip it up, they don't go back flat.

Adam Fearnley

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 10:15:23 pm »
Right, so i didnt neccessarily get the backing wet, just wetting the fibres can do this??  As long as they flatten out thats good :P

clinton

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 10:15:04 am »
Come accross a few a year like this and as the above posts say dont wory it will relax again :)

expro

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 10:25:14 am »
A carpet made entirely of synthetic fibres will be prone to stretching either from temperature or agitation.

Usually they will go flat after a few days but some may need refitting.

Expro

Andy Hogarth

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 10:39:19 am »
Same as everyone else, I've seen it a few times and it's always gone back the next day.

Very scary for a newbie though, I remember flapping all night about it hoping it would sort itself out.

tend to see the signs pretty soon now and just pre warn the customer
Www.2venturegroup.com

Adam Fearnley

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 10:42:55 am »
Ok, so when you say made entirely of synthetic fibres, do you mean the backing aswell?

richie

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 11:43:08 am »
Had this many times at the same customers house.  1st time it happened was quite scarey but ow i know every time it will flatten back after 24 - 48 hrs.

Richie.

expro

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 01:32:01 pm »
Yes Adam backing fibres as well.
 A pre cleaning inspection and burn test will identify this prior to cleaning.

Expro
Expro

Paul Redden Countryfresh

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 04:13:38 pm »
Reckon it's happened to us all, one was a flat domestic carpet, went back ok, the other was in a common lobby area of a home, both looked diabolical and was cleaned lukewarm, dried out flat so
don't lose any sleep  ;D
"So basically its a big vax!"

Mike_Roper

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2010, 08:08:01 pm »
Also to do with latex swelling in backing.
Mike