Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

steven_k

add in newspaper?
« on: February 16, 2010, 06:54:10 pm »
As we all no it can be quite this time of year for cc i was thinking of putting an add in my local paper but would like to no if anyone else does this as it got me thinking this can be dodgy to make people think we where just cowboys

Joe H

Re: add in newspaper?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 07:19:34 pm »
You could have a really nice advert in the Yellow Pages (or whatever), or a really nice website but you could still be a cowboy.
Dont see the difference between them and the local newspaper.
but no I have never had an adv in the general classified advert section.

clinton

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 07:23:01 pm »
Think i m o you get the cheapo guys advertising in the local paper,we get them here and he does carpets from 15 pound and suites from 25..

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 07:38:21 pm »
Any advertising needs to be repeated over and over again. If you are considering a newspaper advert, a longer run should, on the law of averages, be more successful.

As for the low cost brigade dominating this media, it's certainly not the case near me. Two freesheets, two Chemdrys, Roger Underhill and the occasional low cost. It's the higher end business' that are more prominent here.

Safe and happy cleaning :)
The Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 07:44:57 pm »
Ken is spot on, one advert won't bring in loads of work I'm afraid it's a long haul thing.

Shaun

JandS

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 07:57:53 pm »
My advert in 6 local town papers generated on average £920 per month.
It costs £35 per week.
Nothing like that yet this year.
Can't believe how quiet it is.

John
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

Karen Waterworth

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 08:10:52 pm »
local papers in our area are getting thinner
do you think people are still buying papers??

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 08:17:14 pm »
I don't buy the monday paper because the only near up to date stuff in it is the sports page.
Our free midwekk paper goes straight in the bin along with all the leaflets.
I buy the Friday paper and do read the classified.....only because I want to see what other businesses are advertising in there. If I want any services for my own purposes I use yell.com or just google it.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 08:25:24 pm »
I think the local papers are having troubles because of the colour magazines that are around we have 3 that come to our home, because of the internet I don't think anyone reads print anymore.

Shaun

michael wadsworth

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 08:34:52 pm »
I run an add in the "Wigan Reporter" every week with the heading "I am a carpet and upholstery cleaning expert" . It costs £16 per week as I negociated a discount for a more or less permanent run(Not on holidays etc.). As it is a freebie I know it does not cover the area that it boasts it does, all year round, but it regularly brings in 4 to 6 jobs weekly, and a lot of the jobs I get have cut it out of the paper for future reference, so I can't grumble. Mike
All it takes for evil to flourish is that good men do nothing.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 08:54:20 pm »
Is there much competition in the paper?

Shaun

wayne zabel

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 09:55:53 pm »
A guy near me advertises "Half Price Cleaning" and "Free stain protection" in his ad in our local paper.I intend to run an ad for at least 6 weeks saying No gimmicks and no hidden charges come spring.

JandS

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 12:51:44 pm »
The 6 I use come out once weekly on 3 different days - 1 on Wed - 2 on Thurs - and 3 on Fri.
They aren't free, think there about 60p but I'm the only one in, probably because of the price.
The free one I tried was £15 cheaper but I got nothing much out of it, probably because a lot
of people just bin it, so cancelled.
There are 4 others in there.

John
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

steven_k

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 03:53:09 pm »
I have found local free paper £65 for 4 weeks as its near where i live and covers more country towns rather than city i think more will read as they seem to have more time on there hands  ::)

michael wadsworth

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 05:33:13 pm »
Is there much competition in the paper?

Shaun
Yes Shaun, usually between 4 and 8 normally including one git who advertises "Don't be dirty, three for thirty", just heard a few weeks ago that he has gone out of business(so so sad) but he was around for about three years. I also have to endure people hiring cleaners from the local DIY shop and walking them around the streets in Nov., Dec. Mike
All it takes for evil to flourish is that good men do nothing.

yorky

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2010, 07:55:18 pm »
I have never found local papers work. I tend to concentrate on the A5 size community mags. Church mags also seem to work well at low cost.

steven_k

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2010, 08:34:23 pm »
i would never had thought of church mags but it make sense i will look into that

yorky

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 08:36:54 pm »
i would never had thought of church mags but it make sense i will look into that

You can get into them very cheap and word soon gets round the congregation if you do a good job.

steven_k

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2010, 08:39:53 pm »
nice 1 it does make a lot of sense