Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Comfort Sector

Re: Pat testing
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2005, 11:36:44 pm »
have you guy's checked the forum sponsors site

Portable appliance testing:
In accordance with the Electricity at Work Regulations (1989), we can offer low cost Portable Appliance Testing (PAT) on all makes of commercial cleaning equipment. This can be arranged on an ad-hoc basis or on a planned yearly contract.

Regards Richard McDade Comfort Sector Its only clean if its Blacklight Clean www.comfortsector.co.uk

Len Gribble

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2005, 12:02:00 am »
Richard

No argument from me, I don’t know how to be blinkered, have you or did you change your picture as I haven’t !

John

I prefer the word lasso then I can hang them from it! I hate pigtails (figure eight’s) staff have a tendency to touch the ground but ether way are the checking cable think not!  Are you a Billy bunter?  Or as Shaun put it Pat think about it! Before replying! All you need is love but with whom? ;D ;D

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Comfort Sector

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2005, 12:22:43 am »
len

I changed my picture back and deleted post.

Just to clarify PAT Testing

There are three types of inspection

1) user should be carried out before use of equipment.

2) Formal Visual should be carried out by a COMPATENT PERSON

3) Formal Visual and PAT TEST should be carried out by a COMPATENT PERSON.

When time permits i will expand on each inspection and test.

Regards Richard McDade Comfort Sector Its only clean if its Blacklight Clean www.comfortsector.co.uk

Comfort Sector

User Visual Inspection
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2005, 01:33:07 am »
PAT TESTING

All employees are required by the Electricity at Work Regulations to work safely with electrical appliances/equipment. In order for them to do this they must have appropriate training from their employer. The employer is required to provide this training under the Electricity at Work Regulations and General Health and Safety Regulations.

This training need only be of short duration and generally this is all commonsense.
A set routine of pre-use checks should be established. This protects both the employee and the employer.

A sample visual inspection as follows:

1)   user visual inspection
Please note this inspection should be carried out by any user before the appliance is connected to a mains supply.

a)   Check the equipment for damage look for cracks or obvious external damage.
b)   Examine the cable supplying the device is it free from cuts cracks abrasions exposing the inner cores. Does the cable have any tape joints these are electrically unsafe if cable has been joined standard joint connectors should be employed.
c)   Check the cable sheath is it secure in the plug and just the outer sheath showing where it enters the plug no other conductor cables should be seen. Is the cable firmly attached to the equipment end of the appliance.
d)   Check the plug top for damage cracks splitting or over heating damage. Is the plug top secure. Are the sides of the plug intact no exposed conductors showing.
e)   Check the pins for damage are they bent is there an earth pin on the plug and are they secure. Even if the appliance dose not require an earth connection an earth pin is required to operate the safety gates on a standard wall socket.
f)    Does the equipment have a valid label to show that it has been formally inspected or PAT tested.
g)   Is the equipment correct for the environment that it will be used in.

If your equipment or appliance dose not pass these visual checks then do not use label equipment not to be used or words to that effect. Then report the fault to a responsible person

On no account should a user remove the plug top to inspect the wiring. This should only be carried out by a competent person. Unless The user is classed as a competent person if this is the case a record of the fault found should be made.
If no faults are found then there is no need to record a visual inspection.

Hope this explains a user visual inspection.

John_Flynn

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2005, 08:43:02 am »
KBI  lads !!
I get better looking each day!!

Comfort Sector

Formal Visual Inspection
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2005, 02:42:44 pm »
Portable Appliance Testing.

Formal Visual Inspection

This should only be undertaken by a COMPETENT person. The visual inspection should be carried out with the equipment or appliance disconnected from the mains. All results should be recorded for this type of inspection. This record is proof that as an employer you are complying with the Electricity at Work Regulations and General Health and Safety Regulations in relation to employees working with or using electrical equipment.
A Formal Visual Inspection should be carried out on all new equipment before it goes into service. New equipment can be damaged in transit and or during assembly.

A sample Formal Visual inspection

a)   all the items inspected in the User Visual Inspection
b)   The plug top should be removed if it is not a sealed unit.
c)   All conductors should be checked for correct polarity i.e. That the brown conductor is connected to the fuse line the blue conductor connected to the neutral line and the green & yellow connected to the earth terminal ( if the equipment is a class 1)
d)   All conductors should be firmly seated in the terminals no strands of conductors should be visible outside the terminals the outer insulated sheaths of the conductors should just be touching the terminals but not inside
e)   The length of the individual conductors inside the plug should be just long enough to avoid strain on the conductor ( no bunching of conductors being compressed by the plug top)
f)   The fuse should be checked for correct rating this will depend on the type of appliance the fuse should be tight fitting in the terminals and comply with British Standards.
g)   The outer insulation of the cable should be firmly seated in the plug retaining clamp or guides
h)   If all is as expected then the equipment or appliance should be connected to a mains supply and operational tests should be done to ensure safe mechanical or electrical operation of the equipment.
i)   All equipment should be labelled accordingly
j)   Any faults found should be rectified and if need be a full PAT test should be conducted.
The frequency of Formal Visual Inspections is dependant on the time between Full PAT Tests i.e. if the PAT Test was yearly then a six month frequency for a Formal Visual Inspection would be reasonable.

Think of PAT Testing to be like an MOT for your van ( might not be yearly),

Your User Visual Inspection just like the checks you would do before you drive your van.

The Formal Visual Inspection just like a service.

The Full PAT Test just like your MOT.

Hope this explains Formal Visual Inspection.

jim mca

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2005, 07:24:04 pm »
parker-bell.co.uk sell a pat tester pac 500-xp cost 275 and does not require
training.            jim