Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Shaun_Ashmore

employee problem
« on: June 21, 2005, 10:38:44 pm »
we have a woman that works for us that wanted a day off at short notice to take her husband to the hospital.

She works 2 days, Tuesday and Wednesday, on the Tuesday says that she can't come in tomorrow as she is taking her husband to hospital and that she needs Wednesday off, usually she should swap her shift with either Thursday Friday or Saturday's worker but she says she could not, so we have put her down for 1 days holiday, she says she would prefer it to be unpaid so she can keep her full entitlemant but we don't want this as it will leave us short the question is Are we in our right to do this?

Shaun

Re: employee problem
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 10:52:50 pm »
i think thats right
listen,learn.and benefit. try. reward.and love, peace harmony.feng shui. and all that. it improves ones selling .to ones customers.reap THE HARVEST WHILST YOU CAN. and try to crush the opposition.

therapist

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 11:01:53 pm »
Shaun

Not sure enough to comment safely, so, I suggest you  phone ACAS.

They will give you a definitive answer..........no, sorry I don't have the number and won't be in the office tomorrow

r m

ps Always seek advice before committing to anything either verbally, or in writing

Fox

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 07:11:10 am »
You have already resigned yourself to her having the day off so it is going to leave you short staffed, what difference is it going to make if she gets paid holiday for this day or not? 

I assume you have a set amount of holidays per year that she will be paid for and you are thinking that if you pay her for this day she will have to take off less during the rest of the year.  The problem is it will only repeat itself later in the year when she wants a holiday by her either booking as unpaid or pulling a sickie.

It depends on the circumstances for which she is taking the day off for whether you insist she must take holiday or can have it unpaid.  On this occasion as she is taking her husband to the hospital and it is not for herself or a dependant I would say you can insist she either works or takes the day as paid holiday but as suggested before check it out.

John_Flynn

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 08:34:08 am »
Tell Sarah not to share her problems with you, you sacked your employee so you did not have to bother with this type of problem.
I get better looking each day!!

Chris Bailey

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2005, 03:47:54 pm »
Hi Shaun

I remember from my operations manager days that you have to give the employee the choice of holiday or unpaid leave, it is their decision...

Don't think the rules have changed since.. but best to check, ACAS is as good a place as any.. www.acas.org.uk

Chris
Carpet Care

Leicester

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 06:53:50 pm »
Hi Shaun

Are you still an NCCA Member? If so, membership entitles you to use the free Business Support Helpline run by Croner Consulting. That's the sort of problem that they deal with along with any legal issues. This benefit alone could save you your years membership fee ;D  Contact the NCCA office on 0116 271 9550

Safe and happy cleaning :)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

Len Gribble

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2005, 07:25:41 pm »
Shaun

But you didn’t know that!

Has she a contact of employment, which states time off notification?

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2005, 12:26:25 am »
len is an expert take notice of him
listen,learn.and benefit. try. reward.and love, peace harmony.feng shui. and all that. it improves ones selling .to ones customers.reap THE HARVEST WHILST YOU CAN. and try to crush the opposition.

dustycorner

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2005, 09:28:22 am »
Hi,

One question why has she got to take him to hospital, if illness makes him incapacitated ambulance will take him, if its just a day visit probably ok to take himself. The employee is not ill herself so effectively she is requesting a days holiday. She cant have it always.

Cheers Mark.

ps i know my post sounds a bit harsh its not intended to but where do you draw the line with staff wanting time off ?.

John_Flynn

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2005, 09:36:09 am »
Check her's and her Husbands birthdays ::) ::) ::)
I get better looking each day!!

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2005, 02:17:59 pm »
thankyou for all of your replies, contacted ACAS and they say we are within our rights to do this, again thank you.

Shaun

Kinver_Clean

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2005, 05:33:23 pm »
Some one said about the legal enquiry line for the NCCA. The Federation of Small Businesses do the same for about £75 pa to belong. They have empoylee, tax, property query lines and also provide insurance for legal fees as long as you consult them before doing anything. The also insure you for an in depth investigation by the Revenue, as long as you are within 15% of your stated tax. There is lots more as well.
Trevor
God must love stupid people---He made so many.