Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Kev Loomes

Answering service - HELP!
« on: June 24, 2005, 07:03:40 am »
Hi fellow cleaners. Can anyone tell me what answering machine I can buy that has enough space to record a lengthy outgoing message?

The problem is all the ones ive looked at only have approx 2 mins, I need about 15 mins. I bought a BT response 75 beleiving that the 36 min recording time would be ideal, but this is for memo's which cannot be used as an OGM.

Someone please help I'm really desperate!

Mike Halliday

Re: Answering service - HELP!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2005, 08:12:27 am »
I tried for ages to find a machine that had a long outgoing message but failed, in the end I used a modem that contained a answering machine built in it actually had 4 seperate answering messages that could be chosen by the listener eg "press one to listen to our comsumer warning" "press2 for our online stain removal guide"  etc ..etc

but you needed your computor on all the time

Mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

therapist

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2005, 08:25:16 am »
Why use an answering machine, when you can divert to your mobile and never miss a call ?

I am on almost permanent divert, as I'm rarely in the office.

By adding a hands free set up ,you can hear and talk almost anywhere.

r m

Mike Halliday

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 12:35:40 pm »
RM you need to read betreen the lines, someone who wants a 15min outgoing message is'nt wanting an answering machine ( as you say why not just divert) they want a broadcast servise

My guess is he want to advertise a comsumer message.

Mike

therapist

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2005, 01:39:36 pm »
Yes, Mike I know what's being talked about and probably where it's coming from.

Tried it myself, a few years ago and the only response was from 'cheepo'  c/c 's  who assumed it was getting at them ( which in reality it was )

Still, it might be worth trying, as every week in this business, is different from the previous one.

However.........

I feel you will get a far better return, from a published article, which directs enquiries to a live phone.

The attention span, when listening, is only about 40 seconds.
When you're talking, you can stimulate this attention span, by your enthusiasm and showing an interest in the client.

Sorry.

Not very good at short responses........

rob m

Kev Loomes

Thanks Mike
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2005, 03:07:01 pm »
Thats something I was considering, but didnt fancy leaving my pc on all day & night. Still, if there are no alternatives I suppose I'll have to!

Thanks evryone for their comments, if anyone reads this and knows of such a machine (that dosesnt cost £300 - £400 which are the only ones Ive seen), can you let me know please. it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

bennymon

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2005, 06:06:39 pm »
i think therapist is right if a customer just gets a recorded message they just move on to the next number in the book ;)

Len Gribble

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2005, 06:51:59 pm »
I use an old laptop as my answer phone, would have thought you could get one very cheap!

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Mike_Boxall

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2005, 08:19:35 pm »
OK, I'll ask.

Why do you need a 15 minute message? Is it for a heavy sales pitch or some sort of premium rate service?

Has anyone had any success with either?

Regards

Mike

Len Gribble

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2005, 08:42:14 pm »
Mike

It looks like to me a consumer information message, can’t be sure, that he/she is a cleaner only four post cant see profile.

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Mark Roberts

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2005, 08:49:40 pm »
Its a joe ploish thing?

"Phone this number to find out 15 facts you should know about carpet cleaning"

Waste of time IMO.

Mark

Mike Halliday

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2005, 09:57:08 pm »
Formula 90 ;) I know 4 companies that have used comsumer guides for over 3 years, these people arn't stupid, if they did'nt work they would'nt use them.

they use a hosting company who send them monthly reports on how many & for how long people listen. Lots of people do listen to the full message.

you can also get a proffessional voice person to  record your messsage so it sounds good.

MIke

Mike_Boxall

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2005, 10:20:38 pm »
do you have one then Mike?

I'm sure I've seen 0870 (National Rate) numbers that have an initial set-up cost but then have no ongoing charges at all. I guess the choice is whether you provide this service 'free' of charge or whether you use a premium rate number and generate some revenue from it.

So what is Formula 90? If it works, is it not possible for several carpet cleaners to set up one service and share the costs of it?

Regards

Mike

Mike Halliday

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2005, 10:33:29 pm »
formula 90 is me taking the mickey :D :D as the starter of this post calls himself formula6

I don't have one, only because I can't be bothered to set one up ;)

you could put together a generic message, but some of them have a option to "press 1 to book your appiontment right now" so this would make it difficult to share

Mike

John_Flynn

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2005, 10:34:51 pm »
I use a consumer message and have done for the past 3 years, clients listen to it, then ring my number and say "I want YOU to clean my Carpets" it lasts for just over 17 minutes!!

To you's people who do not use one and say it is a load of B******ks, I tell you straight you are missing out on a lot of good paying work, the clients who call, are the money spenders NOT the run of the mill, Price Shoppers!!

End of Rant!!!
I get better looking each day!!

Mike_Boxall

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2005, 10:48:56 pm »
John

What sort of number is it (Freephone, National Rate, etc)?

Do they then have to ring another number to 'book' you?

Regards

Mike

John_Flynn

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2005, 10:53:21 pm »
For the message I use a 0800 number, the rental for the message box cost me £80 + vat per year and .06p per minute for incoming calls with a minimum charge of £5 per month.

Yes clients have to call another number to speak with me or they can wait until the end of the message and leave me a message or press # at anytime during the message to leave me a message.

Mike_Boxall

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2005, 10:59:39 pm »
I can see the sense in that.

Do you know what proportion of the customers who ring the 'Helpline' then go on to speak to you? and do you know what proportion of your overall customers have listened to the message first?

Do you advertise this on leaflets and / or Yellow Pages type adverts?

Regards

Mike

John_Flynn

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2005, 11:10:45 pm »
I ask all clients if they have listened to my message and I would say 75% have, they tell me that is the reason they have chosen me to do the work for them.

I use the Consumer guide number in ALL advertising including Van.

Would anybody like my Consumer Guide number??

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2005, 11:26:52 pm »
Like John I have a consumer advice line, it's professional and I have had £000's from it, I used to look at my invoice/bill at the numbers rang then trace their number through UK phone book on CD and find the address and send them a leaflet, which worked well but now have not got the time and I believe this could be illegal also ::)

Shaun