Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

CleanerCarpets

Trigger repairs
« on: December 14, 2009, 10:20:39 pm »
Hi all

I am fed up with repairing the triggers on my hand tools  >:( - i have 3 different tools - 2 for carpet and 1 for upholstery. They all have the same trigger mech - the 2 carpet ones are from Alltec (external jet) and the one i use for upholstery is from Ashbys (enclosed jet.)

The Ashbys one is great - never had to replace the spring in the trigger. However the Alltec ones have the springs going all the time and the repair kits cost knocking on a tenner a throw when its only the spring i need to replace! Anyone know somewhere on the high street that sell springs to fit or a supplier that sells the repair kits that have durable springs?

lee09

Re: Trigger repairs
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 02:39:42 pm »
Hi Jase,
Just popped over from the window cleaning bit noticed you here and want to thank you for doing my carpets last week. They have dried and come up beautifully.
Will recommend you to my clients
Tony

CleanerCarpets

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 05:41:44 pm »
Hi Tony

Thats great - thanks for feedback and taking the time to post! Really glad you are pleased, have to get you round to do my conservatory roof in the new year!  ;)

Jim_77

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 07:31:04 pm »
Jason, I've often had a search on the net for springs after exactly the same frustrations as you.

The trouble is, there are loads of different attributes of a spring such as:

- wire gauge
- length
- internal diameter
- external diameter
- compression force required

... the list goes on, and means one spring that looks like another might actually work completely differently.  Having said that, how technical does it have to be?  As long as it fits inside the valve assembly and pushes the valve shut, and allows you to operate the tool, who cares if it isn't the exact one.

It seems that you can only either buy a lorry load from a manufacturer or nothing, no inbetween.  So we're kind of shafted on that front :(

However after thinking this much I usually cave in and just order a repair kit :)

It's good to change the valve stem frequently anyway as it wears and so do the O rings, might as well use the new stems rather than keep a pile of them in a box.

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 08:14:59 pm »
Has anyone thought of trying your local hydraulics shop.
They are used to selling high pressure hoses and items that come with hydraulic systems.
I've got mine to knock up a 25m section of 3000psi hose and it's where i get my replacement connectors from. Not sure about trigger assemblies as I've never needed to ask about those.

CleanerCarpets

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 08:32:51 pm »
cheers guys, spoke to Ashbys today, thought as their spring has never gone in their tool maybe best to get their repair kit thinking the springs they have are more durable and will fit the Alltec tools. They want £15 plus VAT for a repair kit - bit pricier than others but may indicate better duability!? ???

Joe H

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 09:04:08 pm »
Would these have fitted - 4th and 5th down

http://www.worldofclean.co.uk/index.php?categoryID=147

CleanerCarpets

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 09:53:32 pm »
thanks Joe but i've used the Solutions repair kits and still no longer life from the springs :(