Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

chrisjohn

Wool & Silk Rug
« on: December 09, 2009, 03:53:58 pm »
Did a job today, and custy asked me to clean his Woll rug.When i got home and looked at the label on the back it said Wool & Silk Pile Rug.

Now ive never cleaned Silk before.I use Prochems products.Would i be ok to use PreSpray Gold and extract with Liquid Woolsafe?

Reason i ask is because in my NCCA notes it says Silk does not like moisture!

Ken Wainwright

Re: Wool & Silk Rug
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 04:16:19 pm »
If you submerse/saturate clean then you should know what to do, so I'll presume you are rinse/extracting.

Subject to testing, clean Woolsafe with a handtool, agitate in direction of the pile and not aggressively, towel dry, groom, groom and groom, turbo dry.

Most silks will perimeter a motif/design within the pattern so will be more obvious once cleaned. I suppose it could be blended with the wool in a yarn but I'd have to ask "What's the point?"

Safe and happy cleaning :)
The Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

chrisjohn

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 06:58:01 pm »
Looking a little closer at the pattern,it does appear that the Silk pattern does surround the Wool pile

Thanks for your advice Ken

Chris

Ian Rochester

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 09:44:31 pm »
We regularly do a clients silk and wool rugs (£4500 and £6000 each allegedly) and also her stair carpet (£10,000), clean no bother with a bit of care

Peter Sweeney

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 09:49:02 pm »
Chris

Just make sure you do them off site. Most likely, the silk will become matted upon drying and needs to be spooned (my term, not a technical one) to raise the pile back. Its a painstaking task but must be done.

Pete

chrisjohn

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 02:55:08 pm »
Ken,Ian & Peter

Thanks for your advice

Chris