Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

NJ Services

new comer
« on: November 09, 2009, 08:12:38 pm »
hi there. i am new to a game, me and a friend have been canvassing and leaflet dropping for 6 weeks now but still only have 30 customers and 70% are from people i know. Could anyone reccomend anything useful, could it be the type of van we use we dont get customers ( s reg combo bit battered) or anything really which could help us in the right firection? thanks

Re: new comer
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 08:23:06 pm »
dress smart, smile, chap doors.

simple is best, " would you like a widow cleaner?"

You will have more than 30 custies if you do that. ;)

mark dew

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 08:25:45 pm »
I wouldn't worry about the van. The majority of the customers you get will probably be reassured by a battered van. Your prices might be cheaper.
You want as many permanent adverts out there as you can.
Yell.com do a free listing if you go to their website. spick and span on here is free for a basic listing as well.
For village work found out which parish magazine covers the villages you want to work in. I pay a tenner per year for my advert. It has bought in almost all of my work over time. Prices vary for these adverts. But they are a good place to advertise for country work.
Don't forget the free listings. There are many more i think, but i don't know which.

Murdie window cleaning

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 08:35:37 pm »
Nathan. When you say your canvesing, how many door are you knocking on each day and what kind of responce are you getting from the customer ?

I'm also out canvesing most days. I'll go out about 3-3.30pm and cover a pre determined rout. I dress smart, but not shirt and tie. I knock the door and say "hi I'm trying to expand my window cleaning round in the area, I was wondering if you'd be interested in my service". If they say no I offer them one of my flyers anyway. If no one is home I drop a flyer through the door. Doing this you should do better than 5 per week.

Good luck

NJ Services

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 08:57:00 pm »
ok thats great for your help. il be dressing alot smarter from now on. i  tend to do about 30-50 leaflets and knock on about 10 houses a day which actually answer. i get alot of no thanks we already have 1 which im not too sure if they are lying or what. i tend to just ask ' are you interested in a having a regular window cleaner'. would anyone recommend trying to buy a round or just keep plugging away at this?

jonnyald

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 09:06:19 pm »
my tip is to make sure you have thewords WINDOW CLEANER  on your van ,with your phone number in  equally big letters. this elevates you above the dole boys and half arsed chancers . buy a jacket or reflective vest with the words WINDOW CLEANER  on the back of it .

chopsie

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 09:11:02 pm »
I am glad you said that jonnyald because i just ordered some magnet signs for my car written just as you described!
chopsie

NJ Services

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 09:12:56 pm »
thats a great idea jonny. im def going to do that. never though about that. sign written vans does this bring in alot of custom to cover the expense of having the van sign written?

NJ Services

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 09:14:04 pm »
chopsie where did u buy the magnetic signs from?any site on the net which sells them?

chopsie

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 09:20:13 pm »
yes got them from vista print online when i ordered some business cards,they are dead cheap and come recommended by loads on here.My advice is order some of the free business cards they do and wait a couple of days and you will get offers come through by e-mail.I ordered thursday,today i got offers through and could of got 2 magnets for the price i paid for 1!!!!They were only just over £8 for 2 anyway,but i know for next time,Apparently if you leave it a while offers come flooding in
chopsie

jonnyald

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 09:29:45 pm »
  i still just work from my car as  it works a treat . i modified some of those oval sunscreens that you fix in car sidewindows( halfords )  by glueing  some blue vynil onto them and then i bought some big yellow lettering and worded it simply . i have 3 signs,  2 in the rear side windows and one inthe rear hatch .  these have brought in no end of work even sometimes folk ring me when sitting behind me in traffic

dont hurry when you meet folk is my other tip, ask them about how they are doing ,you will be suprised  how many are lonely and theyll be good allies .

NJ Services

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 09:42:31 pm »
another thing id like to know is where u get your equipment from as i need a new pole reach thing for conservatory roofs ect but the last 1 i had broke after 1 conservatory so would love to know where to get decent equipment from on the internet

South Coast Cleaning Services

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 09:47:15 pm »
youd only need a cheap pole for con roofs so make your own harris pole is the popular on, £15 from b&q

krave

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 11:22:23 pm »
If your going to get magnets and are sure your going to stick at the business I personally would go with sign writing, properly. For a small van both sides, front and back a local sign writers should do it for about £150 tops. Think it looks more proffesional, and if it is a works van only.

As for how much work it will bring in im not too sure, I wouldnt sday loads, just a few here and there. But recently there are a few people on here that have landed very big contracts due to being seen.

Also only seeing ten people i think is not enough. Stick at it, go out at 5.45-7.45 every evening and throughout saturtday, stick at it and you will get better results than you have had and will succeed.

Good luck!

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2009, 05:23:38 pm »
dress smart, smile, chap doors.

simple is best, " would you like a widow cleaner?"

You will have more than 30 custies if you do that. ;)

You might find it a bit difficult to get a decent supply of willing widows ::) ::)

Mr Bungalow

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2009, 11:52:30 am »
Buying a small round can help you get started.

I have to admit though, I have never had to knock on peoples doors.

I've only ever dropped my business cards through doors.

Some of the best advertising you can do is have sign writing done on your van if you have one and getting yourself a website set up.

I hope this helps you a little.

Kind regards. :) 

paulben

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2009, 06:42:14 pm »
I nearly gave up after 6 months but if you do a good job for a good price work will come in by word of mouth now turn work away
Do not steal the government hates competition

concept

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2009, 08:39:26 pm »

wizard

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2009, 08:49:14 pm »
I think you r results for 6 weeks are not bad 30 - 50 leaflets if you do every day knok on 10 not to bad I say. just keep going its not easy guys.