Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

chopsie

Re: B&Q Complaints
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2009, 12:00:39 am »
i got some 3.5 metre titon triple extenders today after reading recommedations/reviews on CIU.They certainly are strong but fu$k me they are bloody heavy,Think they are going to give me a hernia  :o
chopsie

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2009, 06:15:16 am »
She's quite entitled not to give her surname.  If she has an unusual one, that could make her traceable outside the store for any nutter.  Some way of identifying her within the company (over and above her first name) would have been helpful though.

If goods aren't faulty then, generally, they don't have to refund.  Some stores will do this but there isn't a legal requirement.
However, being "unfit for purpose" is an arguable issue IMO.  Although they may have been described as "professional", I wonder how reasonable it would be to expect a window cleaner to be climbing them all day every day.  After all, it's not the type of ladder that a window cleaner would normally buy.  I'm assuming that you wanted to use it all the time rather than just occasional use to a flat roof (i.e. do you use trad or WFP methods?).
The bit to look for is if it's got the kitemark (BS)EN131.
On checking up for info on this though, it seems that the info is rather confusing.  Generally though, the BS/EN131 standard should be fine but if it says "light trade" on it, this is probably insufficient as "light trade" is not really for multiple times per day use.

I've looked on the web and there seems to be some conflicting info for this - mainly because European and UK standards are different and there seems to be an attempt to merge the two.

Generally, I wouldn't buy a ladder from B & Q these days.  After all, they do supply the domestic DIY market and their ladders just aren't suitable for being climbed maybe 100 times a day.
You might get a better hearing from them if you start talking about credit notes rather than refunds - though I strongly suggest you buy other goods with a credit note if given.
I think you're in a grey area that will need diplomacy rather than confrontation because I'm not convinced that you have a good case.
Sorry if you don't like what I've written but I'm sure you would rather hear an honest view instead of just hearing what you want to hear.

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2009, 06:25:22 am »
black plastic ones are for domestic use only, the red ones they sell are the trade ladders. either way none look that good to me but i dont think your meant to buy class 3 domestic ladders for proffesional use. they are not built for daily use and i am pretty sure it says on the label when you buy them

I thought it was the yellow ends to look out for myself.
Quite a while since I bought a ladder though.

bobby p

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2009, 06:57:29 am »
What colour are the rubber bungs in the ends of your ladder??
Black "PLASTIC"

ABRU  upper bungs are black plastic but if you look closely the bottom bungs are black rubber .

ive given these ladders a lot of stick and  find whoever designed them ,knew his stuff . the rungs are a fraction bigger than on many ladders with a curvey profile and this means they dont hurt my feet so much . the grip surface on the rungs is first class too. you look closely and on some othe makes the grip is crappy, on a wet morning this could be critical.

Its a very easy ladder to carry on the shoulder  . i believe some abrus have a carry handle fitted on the side  , this might be a good idea

Mike #1

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2009, 07:07:42 am »
under the sale of goods act if something is not fit for purpose they have to refund you,  contact your local trading standards office they will tell you all you need to know hope this helps

jonnyald

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2009, 07:35:46 am »
  ;D    UP THE ABRUS !   ;D

jeff1

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2009, 08:04:51 am »
I brought a triple extension ladder made by ABRU from B&Q a few weeks back at a cost of £99, its 2m closed and opens to 4.7 meters maximum working height. Basically i brought the ladder cause it was light weight and seemed quite a handy little ladder, the ladder was described as 'PROFESSIONAL' which i have found out it is most definitely not. Feels very flimsy and just does not feel safe. Decided that a Youngman ladder will be a lot better!!! Took back to B&Q within the 90 days and they refused to give me a  and were very rude!! What can i do?? Will i be able to get a refund? Anyone else used these ladders??
What colour are the rubber bungs in the ends of your ladder??
Black "PLASTIC"
I'm not 100% sure but I think the black ends are for domestic use & ABRU professional range have yellow bungs, Just off out through the door but check out the website to see if yours are classed as professional range.
http://www.abru.co.uk/ladders/promaster-box-section-extension-ladders

Dave Turley

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2009, 08:22:59 am »
steveo, I have exactly the same laders and I love 'em!?

steveo22

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2009, 09:22:35 am »
black plastic ones are for domestic use only, the red ones they sell are the trade ladders. either way none look that good to me but i dont think your meant to buy class 3 domestic ladders for proffesional use. they are not built for daily use and i am pretty sure it says on the label when you buy them
They say on the label for professional or domestic use.

martinsadie

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2009, 01:13:23 pm »
ladders from B&q ARE CRAP,YOU COULD HAVE GOT DECENT Titan ones from Midland ladder for same price,you wont get much joy on a refund because you bought occasional use diy ladders and you are using them all the time,sorry about the caps  ;D ;D

Helen

« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2009, 01:56:24 pm »
My reading of this is that they are fit for purpose.
Is it broken? No
Are any bits missing?
Will it hold the weight as specified? Yes
Does it reach the height as stated? Yes

Sorry but it's fit for the purpose of being able to climb to the height specified.

But I am surprised by the attitude of this store because most products if taken home and then found not to be suitable should be exchanged. Now if you've tried to return them after 3 days of solid use and they're scratched and covered in mud, that might be a different story.

LSB

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2009, 08:32:29 pm »
black feet for domestic , ( infrequent use , and i think not excepted for insurance )
yellow feet for trade .

mci services

« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2009, 08:40:07 pm »
black feet for domestic , ( infrequent use , and i think not excepted for insurance )
yellow feet for trade .

I know thats the norm but b&q now do a trade ladder with red feet to en 131, the ones with black rubbers are domestic use only.

but the yellow feet thing is not always the golden rule, ramsays all have black feet, clows of glasgow have green feet

tacky

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2009, 08:54:23 pm »
frogs have green feet .i think

mci services

« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2009, 09:08:19 pm »
frogs have green feet .i think

is that a domestic frog or trade frog ;D