Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Andrew46

Prep work for Protekote van....
« on: November 07, 2009, 02:02:59 pm »
I'm sanding down the van floor but I'm only using medium sand paper and just rubbing for a few seconds.  There is still paint on floot but the shine is off.  Is this enough prep work before coating??  I'm not sure if most of the paint needs to be sanded off or just make it a bit rough??

When coating is it best to use roller or brush?

Any other tips when coating??

Thnaks

cybersye

Re: Prep work for Protekote van....
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 02:26:15 pm »
Thats what I did and it was enough.
I tried a roller but found that the rubber granuels didnt apply very evenly and the roller would "flat spot" and slide, so used a stippling method with a brush, looks more even and better coverage after 2 coats anyhow.

Andrew46

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 02:33:52 pm »
Thanks.  How far up did you go on the sides and did you have to use anotehr brush for second coat?  I was told its very difficult to clean brush afyer use so easier to bin it and use new brush for second coat?

concept

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 02:49:25 pm »
yeah new brush per coat.

my van was ply lined, so left ot on the sides, although some guys paint about 30cm up on the ply, i didn't.

Andrew46

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 03:30:50 pm »
Did you try rollers or did you go straight for brush and stippling method??

Cheers

Window Washers

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 04:09:31 pm »
Did you try rollers or did you go straight for brush and stippling method??

Cheers

in my second van , I taped up the sides, brushed just under, then just dipped the roller straight in the tin, worked perfectly fine and no messing about. Make sure the tim is sealed as it goes off very quick, make sure you wear the gloves also or you will end up looking like a smurf  ;)
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

Martin ccs

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 04:18:05 pm »
ive bought the kit with 4 litre tin and havent got round to doing it yet.

was planning to paint the floor and the sides all the way up.

any tips? or just follow previous posts?

only got a small van - peugot partner, guessing im gonna need another tin?

does it work on wood? cuz was gonna rip the ply off the sides but not the floor. floors already got an undercoat of mat paint.

Window Washers

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 05:08:51 pm »
ive bought the kit with 4 litre tin and havent got round to doing it yet.

was planning to paint the floor and the sides all the way up.

any tips? or just follow previous posts?

only got a small van - peugot partner, guessing im gonna need another tin?

does it work on wood? cuz was gonna rip the ply off the sides but not the floor. floors already got an undercoat of mat paint.
4l tin will easy do that van, you only need to go up a little, and paint the arches as if your like us we put things on the arches like clothes that are wet.

Ian
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

concept

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 05:26:51 pm »
I used ians method of slapping the roller in to do the most part, makes it so much easier, just slap it on, then. brush for edges.

As long as you have keyed the original paint well enough, you should be fine, that said, the stuff dries like concrete so would probably be fine regardless!

Just get stuck in pal!

Window Washers

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 05:38:36 pm »
I would rip up the ply floor, and leave the sides in.

You need to key the floor (sand it down and make it rough) seal edges where ply would meet floor. get some masking tape, tape how high up you want to go, I did to wheel arches and 2 inches above, said why already. get paint brush paint upto masking tape and about inch or 2 down, get roller dip straight into pain tub so fully loaded and roller sides down firstthen start at front of van nearest drivers seat and work to back of van, if you like flying close doors when you do this (warning will give you a head ache) normal person open all doors (this stuff sticks big time. first cost in your van size less than half a tin. then just wait to dry maybe upto 24 hours in this weather then second coat it, more attention and thicker paint nearer to back of van as this is where the wear (I love english grammer, Ewan  :-*) will happen if side doors this area directly infront also.

did I say wear gloves before make sure you do as it is a milk producing animal to get off.

Ian

p.s remember to have fun doing this, I love getting new vans  ;D

concept

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 05:44:48 pm »
yes, GLOVES!!!! i wore gloves all the way through, until a couple of touch ups needed doing at the end...tool. it takes forever to come off!

as an aside, how do you clean your protectakoted floor?

Window Washers

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2009, 05:47:27 pm »
yes, GLOVES!!!! i wore gloves all the way through, until a couple of touch ups needed doing at the end...tool. it takes forever to come off!

as an aside, how do you clean your protectakoted floor?
with a wet wfp brush that should never be used for water fed pole as only good for sweeping floors  ::)

cybersye

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2009, 05:54:24 pm »
For anybody who is leaving the ply in and painting that, heres a tip and one that I used.
seal all the edges with sticky back lead flashing tape (the stuff you use on roofs) then paint over that and an inch or two above it on the sides, works a treat  ;)