Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Adrian Makel

chewing gum
« on: May 24, 2005, 06:26:01 pm »
Can anyone tell me the best way to remove chewing gum from carpet.Cheers >:(

therapist

Re: chewing gum
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 06:50:28 pm »
steam.......

then remove the surplus with a rough piece of damp towel impregnated with Rid a Gum or an orange based cleaning agent

you can achieve total removal, this way

r m

stevegunn

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2005, 07:19:37 pm »
Solution no6  ;D

Len Gribble

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2005, 07:31:09 pm »
Ice cubes/freeze/hot kettle of water and sometimes a bread knife. :-[

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

therapist

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2005, 08:09:31 pm »

Bet that's confused you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All I can say, is that my method, is used on a regular basis, in retail stores and it works.........

good luck

robert m

Len Gribble

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2005, 08:29:46 pm »
Robert

No argument from me!

But when I do retail I apply the agent then steam and agitate with a large wire brush and this also works. To my amassment this also works when I inadvertently used eco spotter.

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2005, 08:30:17 pm »
i go with len freeeeeze
listen,learn.and benefit. try. reward.and love, peace harmony.feng shui. and all that. it improves ones selling .to ones customers.reap THE HARVEST WHILST YOU CAN. and try to crush the opposition.

therapist

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2005, 12:44:58 am »
Tried all of these over many years and  find that cleaning the carpet first, then using steam cuts out the need for wire brush.

The use of agent is merely to remove surplus quickly and avoid the possibility of gum spreading.

We should also warn of the possibility of delamination

Incidentally, I'm not referring to a little hand held steamer, but a bigger unit with vacuum

Best wishes

robert m

stevegunn

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2005, 06:22:20 am »
Solution no6 is specifically designed not to cause delamination

therapist

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2005, 08:18:27 am »
I'm pretty sure that all manufacturers of cleaning products, would say their products are designed to do specific jobs. rather than cause damage.

If you want to split hairs, it could be stated, correctly, that ' STEAM, which is free of chemicals, is probably the ultimate chewing gum remover 'especially when used with extraction,

I can only give my opinion based on honest experience with no desire to promote any particular product.

If you want to remove gum without causing damage and without leaving residue and without causing delamination and without spending money on unnecessary products.......get steaming!!!!

But, human nature being what it is, many people will buy and use rubbish products, because it's what the've always done and will continue to do.

Feel like a primary school teacher, but after several people and methods failed to remove gum from a retail chain ....I succeeded, by using the aforementioned method.

Only trying to help and save a lot of hassle for the inexperienced.

good morning all

robert m

HolmansUKLTD

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2005, 12:11:55 pm »
Solution no6 ;)
Surreys No1 Carpet & Upholstery cleaner
Surreys No1 Dart player
IICRC water restoration Technician

Len Gribble

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2005, 07:14:30 pm »
Robert

Not so much as a primary school teacher it depends on volume of gum, I once quoted in the region of £700 to remove gum and to clean £600 commercial customers thought they were the same as domestics. ;D ;D

Len

Adrian Makel

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2005, 08:08:41 am »
thanks for advice,all taken on board.cheers

Gavin Reardon

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2005, 08:58:54 am »
HI All

I've tried and tested most of the chewing gum removers.

And the best in my opion are Bye Bye Gum, Solution no6 and Rid a Gum all are very good

Hope this helps Gavin
Gavin Reardon IICRC / NCCA

www.ace-cleaning.co.uk

Everbrite

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2005, 11:24:09 am »
Have tried this one very very good.

http://www.byebyegum.com/

therapist

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2005, 11:54:17 am »
which is the best,  foam or non foam, and in a few words, how is it used?

r m

Gavin Reardon

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2005, 04:06:08 pm »
Hi Robert  ;)

I would say there are about the same

Regards Gavin
Gavin Reardon IICRC / NCCA

www.ace-cleaning.co.uk

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2005, 08:00:52 pm »
I agree with therapist, on steam and cloth followed by rid o gum or similar,it works a treat when you have to take a 1000 pieces out of the carpet before you can even clean it, filthy habit and should be banned as it is in Singapore but it pays ;)

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2005, 08:11:20 pm »
alljays. you must clean some dirty houses. most only have 2 pices of gum on there carpet :o
listen,learn.and benefit. try. reward.and love, peace harmony.feng shui. and all that. it improves ones selling .to ones customers.reap THE HARVEST WHILST YOU CAN. and try to crush the opposition.