Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Jonathan Spencer

Ladder Stand offs
« on: October 01, 2009, 09:10:34 am »
I need to buy a ladder stand off.  This is because I have been asked to do a row of terraced houses and am unable to put my ladders on the wall from the garden and if I go from the pavement the angle is dangerous.

I would like some which are obviously safe and sturdy but what are very quick to put on take off.

thanks in advice.

rednick

Re: Ladder Stand offs
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 09:16:29 am »
wickes

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 03:37:47 pm »
Try to be sure also that when you use it it rests on the window-cill, this helps to prevent a ladder slippage; should the feet 'go'; youve not only got support at the base but support at the top too that way.

There was a muppet on here suggesting you get a stand-off with wheels on, god knows how that would be safe, but hey ho. I havent been up a ladder in 10 years without a stand-off.

Pittmonkey

'Success is buried in the garden of failure'

wizard

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 09:33:06 pm »
The stand off on e bay is a good price just check postage cost as often it can put up the price by say £8 Then Wicks is £24 and quite good I have one and feel safe with it,

Jonathan Spencer

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 09:40:42 pm »
Think I will get the one from Wickes.  It will be worth it as it is about £50 worth of work I will get by having one.

wizard

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 10:41:08 pm »
I would be lost without a stand off on Gutter work.The height never wirries me but gutters and the ladder on facia is a problem with out stand off.I also use it working over a small extenyion on the front of houses and the angle is more that 70 degrees to the wall I put the stand off half way up and rest it on the front roof and the mits at the top against the wall.

windowswashed

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 01:30:03 am »
Try to be sure also that when you use it it rests on the window-cill, this helps to prevent a ladder slippage; should the feet 'go'; youve not only got support at the base but support at the top too that way.

There was a muppet on here suggesting you get a stand-off with wheels on, god knows how that would be safe, but hey ho. I havent been up a ladder in 10 years without a stand-off.

Kermit Frog here just announcing that those so called ladder stand off's with soft squashy wheels are extremely safe otherwise the Federation of Window Cleaners wouldn't sell them.

An advantage of these ladder stand off's is that it allows you to rest the wheels on roof tiles above guttering on some jobs which makes it easier to empty gutters safely from above, then working below or at guttering level, unless of course you have a gutter vacuum. I have both so I'm quite fortunate.

Re: Ladder Stand offs New
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 08:57:53 am »
Why do you need wheels to rest a stand-off on roof tiles?

IMO and IME a stand-off isnt just about making parts of a job more easily accessible it is there in addition to make it safer, wheels will not do that, they will make the whole structure you are standing on mobile! I wouldnt want that.

A stand-off without wheels then has more points of contact on the building.

Windowswashed what would happen to a ladder fitted with a stand-off with wheels resting on a window-cill was to slip an inch or two from the bottom?

I know from experience what would happen if a ladder fitted with a stand-off without wheels resting on a cill was to slip from the bottom. Id be interested to see the consequences with wheels!

A stand-off is a safety device, not just to help accessibility; unless its got wheels, then its a roof-ladder.