Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

GWCS

Legionnaires Disease
« on: June 28, 2009, 02:16:12 pm »
it was roasting yesterday and the water in my hose was really hot, i could see it steaming dry off the windows. and it was not even heated, just straight from the tank. Yes i know the window could have been hot but so was the water i touched tested it

Im kinda worried by the issue of legionnaires disease from this now, as it contracted by breathing in the mist/vapour of water which is airborne when wfp'ing.

anyone else thought of this, seeing that the bacteria is always present in the water, however kept under control from chemicals added by the water authorities - does DI remove this protection??

Or would the lack of time heating in the hose not affect the build up or growth of the bacteria?

Milltown Cleaning

Re: Legionnaires Disease
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 02:20:05 pm »
i have a lot of hose across my yard going to my 4040, when i switched it on the other day i felt the water coming out. It was almost too hot to touch,mad the heat the sun generates!

RO-Sheen

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 03:27:09 pm »
Legionairres needs 2 things to grow, A constant temperature above 35degC (think thats the temp but thereabouts) and food (algae). Also the Legionairres grows better if the water is kept still ie not sloshed around in the back of your van, so if you are going away on holidays during hot weather and the van is going to be left still be sure the empty tank.

It can take a few weeks for it to develop. Above isn't exact temps and time frames so you will need to look it up if you want precise numbers but its not far off.
Every 12 months I pour approx 1/2 bottle of milton fluid into my 650 lt tank, fill it up with tap water and drive like a lunatic so it sloshes around the tank. this will kill any bacteria or algae After the drive drain the tank and rinse with tap water if you want. Then fill up as normal with pure water
Formerly known as GARGAAX

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 05:13:10 pm »
i could see it steaming dry off the windows.

South facing windows only ?

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 12:08:24 am »
just a question, if the water is 100% pure how can algea grow in the tank? surely the water and the inside of the tank would be sterile.
Reaching parts traditional window cleaners can not reach.

ftp

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 07:57:07 am »
The water is only pure in the sense that most of the minerals have been removed. Bacteria can still remain and grow as they thrive on sunlight. You are only producing filtered water and not sterilised water as some on here believe.

Robin Ray

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 08:40:50 am »
If your really worried you can put an inline UV filter on your system this will kill all the nasties.

Quite expensive though ;D

R W C

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 04:11:11 pm »
If your really worried you can put an inline UV filter on your system this will kill all the nasties.

Quite expensive though ;D

This is exactly what I was told and also that once wfp because the main tool in wc they will clamp down and it will be a must to have uv.

paulben

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 08:04:18 pm »
not checked bu thought temp was 25 c for it to develop
Do not steal the government hates competition

windowswashed

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 08:13:39 pm »
Legionaires starts breeding at 20 degrees I believe but don't quote me. Needs sunlight to breed so not really a problem unless left standing in static tanks in direct sunlight for lengthy periods of time. More of a worry for high level wfp users because of the fine mist / spray carrying it airbourne on windy days from cleaning windows whilst falling to the ground IF legionaires IS present in van mounted water tank. UV sterilisation kits 6 and 12 volt would eliminate this for around £100.

paulben

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 08:45:17 pm »
where can we get uv sterilisation kit from . would a uv light from fish pond stockist work .
anyone know where we can get a testing kit from
Do not steal the government hates competition

windowswashed

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 09:19:55 pm »
There's a chap called Andrew who use to attend the window cleaning shows sells them. Andrews water treatment. Can't remember the website but if you google it you should find it.

vacman

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 09:49:27 pm »
well for those who aren't sure and didnt check, according to various websites the problems start between 20 and 45 or more degrees, though 35 is an optimum.

Another fact i didnt know until just now, smokers and people with lung complaints are more likely to get Legionnaires' disease

wozzza007

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 10:05:47 pm »
what is a inline UV filter ? and how would you fit it ? ;D
Window Cleaning & Pest Control Services Covering Essex & London.

m.b.s.

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 03:22:59 pm »
wasent there a big article on this last year on here

m.b.s.

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2009, 03:28:32 pm »
think jeff1 has an email from h/s about this if i remember right