Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

drive surgeon

im carrying a 1000 litre tank and a 400 litre tank. if i have them both 3 quarters full plus my machine will i be over weight??

Erm! Why not go to a weigh bridge.

Also if you have them both at only 3 quarters full you wont be carrying 1400 litres will you?

Dave

Theres a coversion table online here

http://www.onlineconversion.com/waterweight.htm

Hope this helps

Dave

BDCS

It all depends on what else you carry, how fat you are and even how much fuel you have. You can tell how much you can carry by looking on the loading plate usually in the passenger step area. Water weighs 1kg/ltr and I carry a 1.6 tonne jetter full, and all my other drain gear in a 190 transit and still within the 3.5 tonne limit

Griffus

3.5 tonne is the maximum gross weight, i.e. the combined weight of everything, including the vehicle, driver, fuel, load, wheels (you get the picture).

I would imagine you should be OK with the weight to which you refer. Check out your handbook to be sure or speak with the manufacturer.

Baffled tanks are a must for liquids, otherwise you'll end up rolling. Also, be mindful of everything else on board.

Tom Mac

If its a short wheel base van then you are prob ok. If its a mwb van then its doudtful and if its a long wheel base, then i would say def no. A long wheel base sprinter will only carry 1000kgs. mwb will carry 1200kgs and a swb 1350kgs. A litre of water weighs 1kg. Then you have to add weight of fuel and all the extras you put in the van including yourself and your lunch. The fines are heavy. Best advise been given. Go to a weigh bridge

BDCS

So you think a small van will carry more than a big van  ??? ??? ???

drive surgeon

it does not make sense? i used to deliver paper on pallets and in the lwb vans we used to get around 6 pallets on which was well heavier than the smaller van??

Griffus

Not sure on the specifics of the van mentioned here but it basically comes down to unladen weight (UW). If a LWB is was heavier than a SWB of the same maximum axle weight then the maximum load by weight that it can carry will obviously be reduced.

Unladen weight is the dry weight of the van so excludes everything bar the van and its components.

Safe loading is also an essential consideration. Baffled tanks are a must with liquids, as are good solid anchor bolts.

STEVE-UK

3/4 of 1400 litres is 1050, im guessing with equipment youve got around 1500kg on board, if you have a transit t350 you wil be fine as i think they take around 1600 - 1700kg

drive surgeon

Re: 3 and a half tonne van carrying 1400 litres of water or just under
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 01:13:50 pm »
was told that the van payload is around 1350 or something but where can i go to find out my weight?  im only guessing otherwise??

Tom Mac

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 09:17:04 am »
I used to have a european courier company running vans all over europe. Your limited to 3500kgs max weight on a van before you need to get tacho fitted and have speed limiters etc etc etc.

Simply put, a big van weighs more than a little van when empty so providing you have bought a van with a 3500kgs gvw, you can put a bigger load weight in a smaller van.

If you look on the vin plate it will give you your gvw. Its also not just about the load it can carry but how you load it as well. If you a 3500kgs gvw van and just say its load cappacity is 1000kgs. Put the load near enough central in the van and you spread the load over 2 axles. Thats prob ok. Stick it all on the rear end and although you have not gone over 3500kgs gvw what you will have done is exceed your axle weight because all the weight is sat on the rear axle. Thats why vosa not only weight your complete loaded van but also the weight on each axle individually.

Look for a public weigh bridge or contact vosa or the police and ask for the nearest weigh bridge. Its free and they like the fact that your doing it properly.

I always found the weights that manufacturer printed in there glossy books a bit of fantasy. They weigh the van when the fuel tank is near empty, fill it up and you can add another 70-100kgs.

So to answer BDCS, yes a smaller 3500kgs gvw van will carry more weight than a larger 3500kgs gvw van

BDCS

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 10:50:07 pm »
Thats not what was said but if you think that a swb transit will carry more than a lwb transit so be it.

STEVE-UK

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 07:25:08 pm »
here you go mate, the model number is on the badge by the mirror i.e t350

www.fordtransitdirect.co.uk/newsales/newvans/transit/technicalspec.aspx