Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

ftp

Jeff1
« on: June 11, 2009, 06:22:58 pm »
Long time no see.

My generator has suddenly decided not to start on the electric start any more - it would seem the battery is flat. I charged it last night and tested it and it turned the motor easily however by this morning it's as flat as a fart again. Any ideas on what could draw the power overnight? Dodgy ignition switch perhaps?

Re: Jeff1
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 09:48:19 pm »
What about Hi Jeff the forum misses your balanced posts and good technical info on wc and electrics.Hope things are going well because we haven't heard from you in a while.

In other words be nice.Don't ask your question in a way that makes it seem you care about the answer not the person.

ftp

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 10:28:10 pm »
Blimey, sorry I asked  ;D

jeff1

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 10:47:54 pm »
PMSL  ;D I'm really well thanks I've had a hair cut though and I'm feeling a little light headed at the moment  ;D ;D

Haha no problem I wouldn't have even know the post was here if Jouk hadn't have told me  ;)

Anyway I doubt very much if something is draining your battery I'm suspecting that with the infrequent use it gets and the lack of maintenance of the battery, i.e.. Regular charging (at least once a week)   then I suspect your battery has had its day but a test you can do without meters is to charge the battery back up on the bench, once charged leave it to stand for an hour or two and reconnect it to your  generator and try starting it 2 or 3 times, the stop start test will test your battery for you, If the battery fails to start your  generator then you can eliminate any draining from any other part of your generator because it wouldn't have been on there long enough to drain it that bad.

ftp

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 07:36:20 am »
Thank you Jeff, I knew I could count on you for a sensible answer. I could have asked on your forum I suppose, but seeing how i'm lazy and I saw you here I thought i'd ask.
Cheers

jeff1

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 09:09:41 am »
Most welcome   ;)

ftp

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 07:04:32 pm »
I think I may have found the answer  ::) I peeled the strip off the top of the battery that says DO NOT REMOVE (health and safety reasons I expect) and could see very little acid in the cells, so i've topped them all up and put it back on charge.

matt

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 08:28:49 pm »
that'll do it

i have a battery that the caps will not come off :( a bit of a scam is you ask me

ftp

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 08:44:17 pm »
It's cranking over lovely now - won't fully charge on the charger though, maybe the acid is too weak now  :-\
Chinese rubbish.