Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Fieldsy

Health and Safety ??
« on: June 10, 2009, 05:36:37 pm »
Can anyone or does anyone have a link to the healt & safety regulations regarding ladders..i.e if an alternative method can be found it should be used. Is this in fact a written law/statement. Having transferred to wfp (tops only at the moment), people are looking at me as if I'm an alien when I try to explain is it for the operators health and safety to not have to go up a ladder. I am trying to make the point that the safety of an operator is more important than the windows so in order to be able to maintain the cleaning of them I am changing to wfp because certain aspects of "law/regulations" require it. If this is available I'd like to print it out and put through my customers letter boxes to make them aware that in future wfp will be used......................rather than them looking at me and the system as though I am from the planet zog !!!

thanks

Fieldsy
If Carlsberg made window cleaners....I'd be one of them....lol

Sapphire Window Cleaning

Re: Health and Safety ??
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 06:19:08 pm »
go here Fieldsy, it does state that ladders must only be used after all other methods have been ruled out.
http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg401.pdf

Matt
Reaching parts traditional window cleaners can not reach.

Fieldsy

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 07:02:32 pm »
Thanks Matt,

Thats excellent fella, just what I wanted. Hope my printer is fuyll of ink..........lol

appreciated  ;)

Fieldsy

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 07:12:45 pm »
your welcome Fieldsy
How are you getting on with the WFP?

Matt

JSMC

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 07:22:49 pm »
"so far as is reasonably practicable" is the important bit

Fieldsy

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 08:05:11 pm »
Hi Matt,

Absolutely loving it at the moment..........very small scale I might add...lol    water butt, 25 litre containers, backpack etc...., but it all works ok...at the moment...lol,. Its giving me the impetus to go bigger, once I can afford it. Biggest problem has been standing on  a doorstep for 10 mins trying to explain to someone, and them looking at you as though you are on another planet!!!...lol.

Most so far have been ok, but had one "elderly" person, who says "no, don't want it, who wants water all down the front of the house", which is fair comment...........but for the loss of 8-9 quid, I think I can safely say I would rather be on the floor losing 8 quid, than precariously on a ladder with the "possible chance" of losing everything  :(

Don't get me wrong, I admire the guys who use the ladder as have I, but this is far easier and safer for me in my humble opinion.

So far I have converted a pole from info on here to spray guttering from the floor, and successfully cleaned soffit and facias yesterday all from the floor ;)

Things can only look up  ;D

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 08:37:48 pm »
I have had a couple of people cancel on me because they dont want water all over the walls, tell them what do they do in the rain, do they put a brolly up to protect their house lol.
whatever you do Fieldsy dont let the customer dictate what method you use to clean the windows.
we are cleaning THEIR windows I know but you dont tell a mechanic how to fix your car do you lol.
have you had any problems with spotting?

Matt

Fieldsy

Re: Health and Safety ?? New
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 08:44:58 pm »
To be honest Matt, I am rather conciencious..............probably too much for my own good. Cleaned my windows first, and noticed spots, left them to dry, cleaned them again, and no spots  ;D

I am aware that spotting happens especially on first cleans, so have been looking hard at my results, had a few, so waited a while and recleaned the windows that it occured on. Not ideal, but customers weren't in, and couldn't explain what I was doing, so me being over cautious recleaned so I was happy with the result..........and hopefully the customers. Took a while, but think it was worth it...................but thats just me  :-\