Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

benny d

Wilton Rugs?
« on: March 03, 2009, 04:53:48 pm »
Hi all,
Had a call from a lady who says she has 2 "Wilton.. (something I didnt catch on the phone)", rugs that she bought from Ikea, about 3meters x 2meters.
The word Wilton scares me  :o
Any idea if these are ok to be cleaned with a TM?
Got to call her back soon.
Thanks
Ben
"If i'm not in action, I'm in traction"
Voted 397th best looking carpet cleaner in West Sussex 2015. Up 10 from last year...

Graeme@Access

Re: Wilton Rugs?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 05:14:17 pm »
Hi,

I would definitely have a look at the rugs before committing. We work for Ikea and they have a few rugs that have particularly "vulnerable" red dyes. Basically they bleed with water and need to be either "shake and vac'd" or properly dry cleaned.

The construction worries me less than the colour of Ikeas stock.

Graeme
Access Cleaning Solutions
Edit: We have wet cleaned many BW rugs and never had a problem, no doubt they shrunk a bit, but its rarely relevant to an area rug unless they have it in a specific position.

benny d

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 05:44:15 pm »
Thanks very much Graeme, I will give her a call, and no doubt she will balk at the cost and go elsewhere!
Ben
Voted 397th best looking carpet cleaner in West Sussex 2015. Up 10 from last year...

colin fitch

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 05:59:31 pm »
Hi,

wilton is a weave construction[ machine made]
face fiber could be wool or man made
test your colours as already been said

you can cleen with your truck mount.

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 06:33:04 pm »
Why dont you have a good look at them (asif you know what you are doing) say you need to run some tests on them back at the workshop.

Then you take some pics, pop them on here and you can follow some test/cleaning proceedures with no pressure on you.

Mike

robert meldrum

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 06:45:23 pm »
Three options to contemplate

Ikea / Wilton...............unlikely marraige
Ship's / Wilton............27" runner which was sewn to customer's requirements ( very expensive )
Wilton / Runner.......... as above

Might be none of these, but if it's genuine Wilton it will be dense and need a good vacuum before h/w/e

derek west

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 08:50:10 pm »
do your colour run test.
tell her theres a slight chance of minimal shrinkage.
then vac like fck and truckmount the bar  studs. blast them with air movers and make sure your rinse is acidic.
jobs a good en.
derek

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 09:07:24 pm »
I'll stick my neck out and say that they are polypropolene and yes they may well be wilton, I would never take the customers word for it as YOU are supposed to be the professional although it may have a label on the backing to say what it is.

First do a burn test to see what the construction is of the face fibre, the backing which is the wilton part should be woven not cloth backing, to clean safely and hopefullt foll proof I would vac very well front and back, apply MS to face fibres and bonnet clean, if you want to dabble then a quick HWE and turbo dry.

If it is what I think it is then they are prone to shrinkage but definately cleanable with great results providing you identify first.

Shaun

benny d

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 08:01:20 am »
Thanks for all the advise.

As I thought, after giving a price of £65-00 over the phone she decided against it.

Ben

JandS

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 01:12:45 pm »
Bet she did at £65.

John
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

Phillip Mold

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 10:09:34 pm »
probably twice what it cost!
Doing the best job in the world as well as I can

benny d

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 03:25:08 pm »
Are you going to drive a van for 20 minutes, set up a truck mount machine. Vac,  pre spray, clean and dry with a blower for less!
If I did I would be out of pocket! It's not my fault if she bought cheap rugs!

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2009, 03:53:04 pm »
You will find people who do like their rugs, even cheapos and will pay more to clean than to buy new. ??? Baffles me too.

The other thing is I make abig deal about taking them away to clean. You can charge more and have a rug session on quite days.

Doug Holloway

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 08:45:57 pm »
Hi Guys

It does amuse me when people complain about me quoting them more than their rug cost.

Goes to show how difficult rug quoting is when the rug cost varies from 20 - 50000.

Cheers

Doug

robert meldrum

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 08:49:14 pm »
£50k rug ?

What's it made from hairy mammoth hair ?

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2009, 08:53:49 pm »
If it's a red and white one I think I know the one he's thinking of.  ;)

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2009, 10:12:35 pm »
Did a £20.000 one a few years ago. The dog had cr*pped on a corner of it. The poo was still there when i got to it 2 days later.

I knew it was £20k because it still had the John Lewis price tag attached to the back of it.

Should have charged more ...but that was before i knew about CIU.

(Incidentally the hall in the house wasn't that deep (only 11 feet) but it was 68 feet wide! I measured it out of curiosity!!)
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2009, 10:15:23 pm »
If you keep the label on it keeps it's value more.

Shaun