Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

markpowell

Car Valeting
« on: February 16, 2009, 12:30:11 pm »
Just doing last years figures, i know it isnt much but i made £4000,00 cleaning car interiors.
We all clean carpets, fabric and leather so why not clean them, especially in these quiet periods.
Also i did get loads of other work as a direct result of doing peoples cars.
Just a thought Mark

derek west

Re: Car Valeting
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 01:04:10 pm »
hmmmmmm!
how much do you charge for a standard car?
what do you clean? ie... just upholstery and carpets or all the dash and consolesetc...
how long roughly does it take?
derek

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 01:57:23 pm »
Mark,

Did you deal mainly with second hand car sales? When I worked for BMW we used to get a C/C in for a lot of the second hand mingers...

I would welcome £4k's worth of car interior cleaning at the drop of a hat! 

clinton

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 02:00:33 pm »
Not a bad add on mate and for the quiet times spec if your just starting up :)

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 02:27:36 pm »
Roof linings are a killer though.

Anybody fancy a shower?
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

Bill Robinson

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 02:54:46 pm »
I charge at least £65 for a car valet that includes polishing i use a polisher from argos takes me about 3-4 hours i advertise it as machine polishing but not as dangerouse .i dont do headliner unless they ask me , best do it first spray it on and sponge it off sometimes need to extract and charge extra for that i hate it.

gwrightson

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 03:42:17 pm »
Bill,
i woudnt be happy earning £65 , especialy if its 4 hrs :-\

shower doing the roof lining, no get a dri master
geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

markpowell

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 04:17:23 pm »
I only do interiors, carpets, seats, roof lining, interior glass and plastics, i charge between £45.00 & £85.00 for range rover and 4x4. Takes 1 - 1 1/2 hours per motor.
Its easy money, pays for my YP ad and as i said earlier i get other work from it.
I have never worked for a car dealer just Jo public.
Mark

Roger Koh

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 08:51:51 pm »
How about venturing into a £845 to £1000 auto leather job like this repairing to cracks, rip and refinishing it too!

A: Prep Cleaning

#1: This 19 year’s old front seats need restoration to cracks and rip.

#2: The entire seat was prep with d’Ink7.7™ with a 3 inch foam brush and leave to dwell overnight.
No solvent or alcohol was used as to prevent deteriorating the existing finish further and also not to flush out existing fatliquor causing the leather to dry stiffer and weaker.

#3: A light mist with d’Grease4.9™ were applied and agitate with leatherBrush1™, nubuckBrush2™, 3M white pad and anilineEraser4™ thereafter extract with dry absorbent towel.

#4: The sticky residue were clean off with clean3.8™ with appropriate tools and dry towel extracted until towel shows clean.

#5: Thereafter were acidifier rinse with rinse3.0™ and dry towel extract until towel shows clean.

B: Hydrating & Fatliquoring

#6: The leather internal structure was further hydrated with relaxer3.3™ to relax the leather so as to reduce the stresses.
The cause of the crack is the diminishing of the original fatliquor.
As the leather fatliquor continues to dries through the years it widens the cracks in the process.

#7: The entire seat was wrapped with plastic sheet to control evaporation to dwell overnight.

#8: fatliquor5.0™ was thereafter introduced into the leather structure, wrapped up again and was left to dwell overnight again.

C: Dry Prep

#9: Excess surface non-penetrated fatliquor was clean off with clean3.8™ follows with rinse3.0™.
Thereafter when dry the surface went through a 1000 to 1200 grit sanding process to remove deteriorated finishes.
All dust was removed with compressed-air-gun.

D: Repair

#10: All cracks were strengthen with impregnator26™ a protein resin that becomes part of leather when it cures.

#11: A leatherBond3D™ is further applied to fill the deep gap to add strength.

#12: For cosmetics leatherFill90™, leatherBond3D™ and color were mixed to further fill the cracks.

#13: As for the rip, a thin 0.04mm vachetta leather was used as a sub-patch for added strength, and bonded with leatherBond3D™.
This is a cold cure bond just like silicone without using heat (iron heat will further shrink the leather that makes repairs stiff and subject to cracks when flexed).

#14: leatherBond7A™ helps cleanup excess and smoothen the bonding seam too.

E: Refinishing

#15: When all were sand and clean up, the first finishing coating was the adhesion coat with adhesion73™ with padding or foam brushing.
Then pigColor64™ custom color with thickene48™ were spray, followed with pigColorTop56M™ matte.

The end result besides the aesthetic, the leather was soft and supple.

If the leather was not soften and strengthen again, all the aesthetic effort will go to waste as the leather will soon continue to crack!

Besides the customer is happy with a 3 years warranty against material and workmanship on condition they purchased a leather cleaning & conditioning kit and use it too!

What do you think?

Roger Koh
Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification #942
Leather Care Technician
Master Textile Cleaner
Master Fire & Smoke Restorer
Journeyman Water Restorer
Since 1973

LTT Leathercare

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 10:06:33 pm »
There are simpler and equally effective ways of doing this process, we cover these processes on our training courses (Day 4) will post pictures of Jag we have just completed tomorrow.  It is important to understand restoration processes if you are going to undertake leather cleaning in cars as many of the seats you see will require a degree of restoration which will not be rectified with cleaning.  Many car detailers are now adding leather restoration to their services so competition for work will be high.
http://www.lttleathercare.co.uk
Leather Consultant to the Furniture and Cleaning Industry
Leather Cleaning, Care and Restoration products and services
AMU
IICRC (LCT)
NCCA
SLTC

robert meldrum

Re: Car Valeting New
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 11:44:55 pm »
Look forward to your post on the Jag seats Judy. Have to say the outcome on this job is very impressive !

Don't remember a fourth day

Bill Robinson

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 09:16:42 pm »
i recon car valeting is a great work out