Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Dean Taberner

Welsh window cleaners
« on: February 10, 2009, 08:52:25 pm »
Hi guys,

I do alot of work in wales but I found myself this weekend working on the ilse of anglesey doing a builders/refurb clean.

We had to stay over for the night and stayed in a village near to llangefni called pentre berw, stayed in a pub/hotel called the holland arms.

The question I ask is do all welsh people speak welsh in pubs?

These guys spoke welsh from our entry until we went to bed. Im 100% sure that they were not doing it just because we were there and were english and when we spoke to them or played pool they spoke english to us and made us extremely welcome.

I must admit that we loved it as the rugby was on too, and they beat scotland and it was a cracking experience.

Dean
Operations manager at J.V Price Ltd

http://www.thepricegroup.co.uk

LWC

Re: Welsh window cleaners
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 09:02:16 pm »
I live on the border of Wales and have grown up round Welsh people, i went to Welsh school so know a bit or "dipyn bach" (little bit in Welsh lol)

I do think they do change over to Welsh, you will find they swap and change all the time mate, habbit i think, but sometimes they do talk about ya  :P

Shame me and some my mates know what theyre saying.

chrisyg

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 09:06:34 pm »
Generally up north and mid wales they do speak welsh being native tongue - down south its mainly english.

Dean Taberner

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 09:07:58 pm »
 :o :o :o ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

We used to do some work in oswestry last year mate,

Boots and Abbey,

I got stung for around £7k in total with all the areas combined,

It was through a sub-contract deal which went seriously wrong.

Oswestry is a lovely place though and I really enjoyed goin there, especially the scenary heading towards wrexham.

Dean

Dean Taberner

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 09:09:54 pm »
Generally up north and mid wales they do speak welsh being native tongue - down south its mainly english.

Before the weekend Chris Idve thought the opposite to what youve posted but now I agree. Do you speak welsh?

LWC

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 09:11:25 pm »
Yeh i like it, i live out of town though, on way to Bala

;D

chrisyg

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 09:14:00 pm »

Before the weekend Chris Idve thought the opposite to what youve posted but now I agree. Do you speak welsh?

No im from essex :P

Dean Taberner

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 09:22:13 pm »

But do you live in swansea?

Im confused now mate.

chrisyg

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 09:28:05 pm »

But do you live in swansea?

Im confused now mate.

yes, i live in swansea

Dean Taberner

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 09:37:29 pm »
Why dont you learn welsh then?

Im considering it after this weekend.

Seriously I am,

Just why im doing nothing  ;D

Dean

LWC

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 09:41:24 pm »
I want to learn it properly, its still spoken round here, and i just think it shows a bit of respect.

They'd really like you to do that.

My dad walked into cafe the other day and asked me what good morning and how are you in welsh is

So i told him and he walked in "bore da, swd wch i" (my welsh spelling is no good)

And she was like  :o "da iawn dioclh!"  (very well/good thank you)

They love it  ;D

Dean Taberner

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 09:54:36 pm »
Whats your local team there that you share with the welsh that are in the welssh prem?

LWC

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 09:56:42 pm »
Whats your local team there that you share with the welsh that are in the welssh prem?

Are you talking to me? I dont follow footie but TNS?

Dean Taberner

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 10:00:21 pm »
Yes mate,

Was Total Network Solutions but they changed it to The New Saints for some reason.,

I was told the reason but ive forgotten it as I was drinking at the time :P :P :P

Dean

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 10:36:22 pm »
My mother used to live in Llan-Dewi-Brefi (yes of Little Britain fame), its a lovely place, couldnt be more out in the sticks. When I used to leg it over to the local boozer it was like going back in time (bit like The Slaughtered Lamb pub in American Werewolf in London.) they'd all look round, all 2 of them, a deathly hush would fall over the place, they'd start spiting when they talked and sell you their last bottle of Watneys off the bottom shelf.

Beautiful countryside though

chrismroberts

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2009, 05:20:22 pm »
I grew up in Colwyn Bay, on the North Wales coast, when we were at school the teachers used to talk in Welsh to eachother - in front of us all - when they didnt want us to know what they were saying... made me smile, as loads of the kids in our class were welsh :P  ;D ;D

chrisyg

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2009, 05:34:48 pm »
Why dont you learn welsh then?

Im considering it after this weekend.

Seriously I am,

Just why im doing nothing  ;D

Dean

who me?

whats the point, no one speaks welsh here, not even my other half or any of her family speaks it. Come to think of it, none of my custie's speak welsh that i know of.

As i said, its really not spoken that much south of the brecons, and only then in local villages up the valleys.. so from swansea to cardiff and onto the bridge its pretty much English..