Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

derek west

Re: new laptop
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2009, 07:01:03 am »
samsung 50 inch plasma hd tv  in comet, £799
derek

robert meldrum

« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2009, 07:23:56 am »
Thought I was in Comet site when I logged on!!!!!!!!!!!!

Currently we have in our house

Compac Presario..............about 10 years old memory worse than mine, but still works
Fujitsu.............was good until wrecked by son
Advent.............small, cheap, works well, daughters first lap top, still works
Acer...............my second machine, still works well
Acer Mini..........the one I carry around, it's small, cute, would be great for presentations.
Toshiba...............the one I'm on, decent machine
Sony Viao............younger  daughter's  new machine, loves it, so it must be good.
H P....................in office, slow, heavy, slow, very sloooooooooooow.

Still got three desktops.

Looking at this lot.................no wonder I'm always skint !

Darren O

« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2009, 08:26:18 am »
Robert do you no Bernie Bruce from Well Street in Paisley it was him that told me about Toshiba Tvs and Bernie is a legend when it comes to fixing TVs.

John Kelly

« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2009, 08:56:45 am »
Darren, jut spoke to a mate of mine who works for Wise Speak stockbrokers in Newcastle. He's searched their systems and as far as he is concerned Toshiba Corporation is a massive Japanese owned conglomerate with huge stakes in major companies around the world including Westinghouse in the US. He can hardly find any info on Bush and from what he has he said it would have been impossible for them to even buy a stake in Toshiba never mind take them over.
Toshiba bought 80% of a major Chinese manufacturer who make houshold goods so maybe that division makes Bush tv's.

Darren O

« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2009, 09:50:54 am »
john iam just telling you what the guy told me hes been fixing tvs for over 30 years i said to him i thought Toshiba was one of the best makes out as i was about to buy another Toshiba he said what ever you buy dont buy Toshiba all your getting is a Bush tv with a Toshiba badge on it they used to be good but not now cant see the point in the guy lying.J ohn i made a post about this on the non related cleaning topics just put in toshiba tvs on the search i think its Matt from the window cleaning section he seemed to no a bit about it and said a lot of tvs have Bush parts in them.As i said john they are one of the cheapest tvs out now out of all the major brands when they used to be the dearest that must tell you something.

robert meldrum

« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2009, 10:28:26 am »
Darren

I know Bruces, but not the man personally. Is it possible he was maybe, just using the name Bush loosely, as in VW is just re badged Skoda. I know it's not, but you know what I mean.

A friend if mine John McLachlan ran a very successful TV / Hi Fi retail business in Paisley for many years until retiring, he steered me towards Toshiba for reliability.

The machine I'm on right now is a Toshiba, just under a year old, but seems ok, so for.

I do know that computer manufacturers do have a lot of interchangeable parts, as I understand there are many components madse by many companies which are common to many computers.

Cars are getting similar, eg, Toyota, Citroen, Peugeot, or Renault, Volvo.

Oooops work to do !!!!!!!

Darren O

« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2009, 10:39:00 am »
Rob i remember Mc Lachlans thats were we always got our tvs from when i was a boy its been a few years since they were around but Bernie Bruce told me they were Bush tvs and if i had a Bush remote control it would probably work on a Toshiba tv as they are the same inside as i said they used to be the best tvs out but not now.When i was in school my first computer i ever bought was a Toshiba MSX only bought it for games they werent another computer at the time that could come close to for graphics it was brilliant.

derek west

« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2009, 12:53:40 pm »
vision tech

you said you'd check out a pc for me on "which"

got my eye on a sony vaio FW31M

much appreciated if you can find any comments about it.

derek

vision tech

« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2009, 05:44:11 pm »
derek,
they havent done a test on that model yet,
is it a brand new one ?
there is a test result for a sony vaio-fw11e, here is the report
on this model.

Review
 Test results
 Full specification
 Compare prices

This stylish, sliver laptop looks modern and well built. Its performance doesn't disappoint, either.

At 3.1kg, there are lighter laptops out there if you're looking for one you can take about with you, but this one benefits from a larger screen (16.4 inches). It's a glossy screen, though, so expect reflections if you're using it in daylight.

The well-labelled keyboard is a good size, with plenty of space and a big return key, so feel free to hit it with gusto. It feels a bit spongy when you type, though.

Performance-wise, the machine is pretty quick to turn on from scratch, so you won't have time to make a cup of tea while you're waiting to use it. (It took one minute and 12 seconds after being switched on to be ready to use, and 32 seconds from hibernation mode in our test.)

The laptop handled most of the tasks we set it pretty well, too. It took four minutes and 19 seconds to copy 1GB of data to a DVD, which is almost twice as fast as the slowest laptop we tested this time around. The VGN-FW11E came top in our benchmarking tests, too. We would have liked battery life to be a bit longer, however.

Wireless performance wasn't bad in our test. The data rate when in the same room as the router was pretty quick, thanks to the laptop's built-in wireless-n connection, but it didn't quite match the fastest models we tested.

While none of the laptops we tested set the world on fire with the quality of their speakers, this Sony's are slightly better than most.

Despite a few minor niggles, this is a nice-looking, well-performing laptop.

Pros: Comfortable to use and good performance

Cons: Longer battery life would be nice
I started out with nothing......I still have most of it.

vision tech

« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2009, 05:56:28 pm »
derek,
here is another one which has had a first look and a bit of a report but not rated yet.

Review
 Test results
 Full specification
 Compare prices

If the current trend for ultra-small, lightweight laptops hasn't produced anything powerful or stylish enough for you, then Sony may have an alternative: the new Vaio P-series.

Weighing in at a disconcertingly light 638g, the Vaio P series packs a respectable 2GB of Ram and a 60GB hard drive into its glossy and diminutive form, and Sony stress that it's intended to handle all the tasks you'd expect from a full size laptop. Broadband internet access is provided by wifi or by using the built-in slot for a Sim card to give you 3G mobile internet access.

Opening the lid reveals a solidly-constructed and impressively large and well-spaced metal keyboard that makes use of all available space. This makes for comfortable typing, but it comes at a price: the touchpad we've come to expect on a laptop for moving the mouse pointer isn't present - instead, you use a small 'nub' situated within the keyboard. We've not seen one of these on a laptop for some years, and while it works well enough it's something that will take prospective users a while to get used to.

The glossy screen is crisp and clear, and capable of displaying your Windows Vista desktop in eye-wateringly fine detail - you'll want to tweak the settings to increase the text size. Its wide aspect ratio makes it ideal for watching videos - and even if you're doing office work, Sony have included a handy key to line up your windows side by side to make good use of the space.

An interesting inclusion is what Sony call the XMB - Sony's own cross-media bar. This simple interface has been seen on lots of other Sony products, and on the P-series Vaio it offers a quick alternative to Windows Vista if your computer is switched off and you want to view photos or videos, or use the internet to check web pages or email.

However, there's a hefty price tag attached: prices start from £849 for the basic model - and if you want the top-end version with a 128Gb solid-state drive then expect to pay in excess of £1100.

Pros: Good keyboard, strong specification, stylish design

Cons: High price tag
I started out with nothing......I still have most of it.

derek west

« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2009, 06:17:32 pm »
cheers vision tech.
it is the latest bluray model.
one up from the FW21E
cheers again for your help.
derek

derek west

« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2009, 07:47:05 pm »
thanks for all the advice guys,
bought this one, coming friday i hope

http://vaio.sony.fi/view/ShowProduct.action?product=VGN-FW31M&site=voe_en_GB_cons&category=VN+FW+Series&assetid=1218032875460

better be good un

derek

psbruce

« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2009, 02:34:32 pm »
Why buy a new laptop? I used to do PC's and have never had a new one. I buy IBM T43 or T44 from eBay at £250 ish with software. These machines were £1500 new and tend to be ex company directors. They last years with titanium hinges. I have dropped mine many times and its still great.
Nothing beats hard work!!!!

derek west

« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2009, 02:45:15 pm »
now ya tell me.
derek

clinton

« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2009, 03:33:44 pm »
Derek

Whats wrong with the tesco lap tops lol ;D

derek west

« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2009, 06:19:31 pm »
my new sony laptop came on friday,
they sent me the E model instead of the M model. E model doesn't have bluray but is still a top spec laptop.
i rang to tell them, "we'll contact you in 24 hr"
24 hrs later i rang to see why they hadn't called to arrange a swap.
"sorry we'll contact you in the next 24hrs"
got an email sunday.

sorry for the inconvenience, we've put your money back in your account, it should take 3 to 5 days to appear.

that was it, no explanation as to why they sent the wrong one, no request to arrange pick up for the E model they sent me, nothing.

question is?

how long do i leave it before i open the box to my brand new sony vaio which apparently cost me nothing. ;D

dya think theyve dropped a bo11lck and i'll get away with it.
derek

clinton

« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2009, 06:34:21 pm »
Derek

Think you have got so many days till you can claim it ???

My mum was sent an item many years ago and it was a double order by mistake so they never asked for it back :)

clinton

« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2009, 06:38:56 pm »
Derek

Theres somthing you might be interested in on the for sale part

Joe H

« Reply #78 on: February 16, 2009, 06:39:48 pm »
Clinton  ;)

clinton

« Reply #79 on: February 16, 2009, 06:41:28 pm »