Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

garyfindlay

Working At Height
« on: December 29, 2008, 12:29:04 pm »
I`d been asked to clean windows on a newbuild communal block of flats. The windows do not open and I was using a pole with mop/squeegee on the end. Now they are clean there are a couple of mastic marks on the windows. How could I clean them? The window is 7.5 metres up. Is it safe to be on a ladder at that height. Local wfp guy wasn`t kean on going on a ladder.

ok cleaning

Re: Working At Height
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 02:03:36 pm »
i have been up there make sure someone is holding the laddars for you

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 02:48:46 pm »
At that height (over 6 meters) you should techniquely have another person footing the ladder. However it wasn't that long ago that most on here wouldn't think twice about working that height on their own.

Simon.

East coast window cleaning Services

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 02:52:42 pm »
Now ive got years of experience in the new build side of window cleaning. was the mastic dropped on the windows after a builders clean of have they not been B/cleaned before. Either way its up to the builders to provide you with safe access to the window. (we write this into all our B/clean tenders.) i would say its gotta be a cherry picker all the way, As there is no way of scraping of mastic marks while being stable on a ladder.

Ricky
P&R Window Cleaning

williamx

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 02:55:03 pm »
why can't you use a scraper on the pole?

East coast window cleaning Services

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 02:57:06 pm »
why can't you use a scraper on the pole?

At that height you wont get enough pressure and you will risk scratching the glass surely?
P&R Window Cleaning

williamx

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 03:02:58 pm »
Not really, what I do is, I use an unger scraper and pole, this removes the majority of the tape, I then use one of them scraper pads that you use on  non-stick pans, this is attached over a squeegie t- bar, add a bit of water and the marks come straight off.