Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Jonathan Spencer

Scrims
« on: November 29, 2008, 08:25:50 am »
Sorry not got time to search through the forum and look as I am off to see santa with the kids.

I need to buy a few scrims.  Where is the best place to get them at a good price ie postage.  I am only part-time (but seem to get offered loads of work all the time) so do not need a pack of ten.

Thanks

Jonathan

windolene

Re: Scrims
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 08:42:25 am »
Hi,

Even  part timers should have at least 10 scrims.

http://www.windowcleaningwarehouse.co.uk/shop/index.php/Cloths/View-all-products.html

Kevin WINDOLENE.

Jonathan Spencer

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 08:44:10 am »
Only do sats/suns.

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 09:44:43 am »
Hi,

Even  part timers should have at least 10 scrims.

Im not PT buy im WFP and i have about 30 :P

jonisondell

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 10:00:26 am »
hi im also new what is all the fuss about scrims?? what are they all about?? how do you u them ??, i currently use micro fiber cloths and only on left/right and top edge i have a few but never had the bottle to use a rim why are they so expensive??

Jonathan Spencer

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 10:10:08 am »
hi im also new what is all the fuss about scrims?? what are they all about?? how do you u them ??, i currently use micro fiber cloths and only on left/right and top edge i have a few but never had the bottle to use a rim why are they so expensive??

We me I just prefer a scrim.  It is what I was shown the first time I did it and stuck to them.  tried microfibre (use them for leaded and small windows and doors) but did not like them for edging and I always do the bottom edge out of habit.

dave0123

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 12:52:45 pm »
Im the same with the above

tried micro but seem to keep going back to scrim! dont think you can beat them. I was taught to use scrim and thats just what i like to use. I was actully taught to only use one all day wash at end of day under tap ready for next day

why are they so expensive??

I would't say they are expensive cheaper than micro you can get them for about 3.50 each if that i think
Dave.

seandyer2003

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 01:23:57 pm »
You mustnt have many leaded windows then ?? one scrim on them all day would look bad, try adding some bright sunlight, recipe for complaints if ever there was one!!

dave0123

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 02:27:03 pm »
No never had complaints with using one when i was 100% trad. thats how i was taught from day one from a large company in my area. Of course you have to keep it dry as possible. I actully dont think i do have many leaded tbh

they now just get wfp now anyway
Dave.

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 02:56:33 pm »
You mustnt have many leaded windows then ?? one scrim on them all day would look bad, try adding some bright sunlight, recipe for complaints if ever there was one!!

Never had any complaints for scrimming leaded windows, even if i went in after to do the inside - i didnt have to go and re do it.

Its not what you use, its how you use it!

Still im wfp now, much easier..

Personally i never liked using microfibre - it wasnt big enough compared to the scrims.

seandyer2003

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2008, 03:06:07 pm »
bet you didnt use one cloth on 20 houses all day though :)

I go through 3-4 scrims on leads as they start getting filthy as they pick up the dirt

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2008, 03:10:13 pm »

I go through 3-4 scrims on leads as they start getting filthy as they pick up the dirt

Yes one-ish scrim per house. That why you need loads if trad and a bugger cos their expensive.

dave0123

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2008, 03:32:09 pm »
I woudnt use 1 on 20 houses if they were all leaded either!

i didnt mean it like that lol
Dave.

seandyer2003

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2008, 04:16:40 pm »

Yes one-ish scrim per house. That why you need loads if trad and a bugger cos their expensive.

i know, i was helping a lad out who used to work with me , every time he leant my gear he would loose one, £4 gone evry time //// aaaarrrgggghhhh

simon knight

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2008, 04:37:16 pm »

I pay roughly £7 per scrim and they take a bit of breaking in but once they are they're totally absorbent and last for years.

Micros are ok for frames and sills...never on glass as they just chase the water around IMO.

karlosdaze

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2008, 04:58:24 pm »
Some more info on scrim here:

www.robinson-solutions.blogspot.com/2008/11/window-cleaners-scrim.html

For me, micro-fiber has always been hyped up, I find the scrim's all round versatility amazing.
Most newcomers always give up on scrim, remember it will take at least a couple of washes to break in - before it gets to its optimum performance level.

tradman

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2008, 02:58:11 am »
microfibres are way betta than scrim!!!!i use unger large.no fluff or hairs left on winda