Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Steve Chapman

use of database
« on: November 24, 2008, 06:55:44 pm »
Hi all,

I am in the process of starting a new business and was wondering whether its ethical or not to use my existing database of customers to market it.

Its completely unrelated to carpet cleaning but is to do with the home, so am thinking some of those customers who take pride in their homes may be interested? but not sure if this is an abuse of their details?

what do you think?

steve

carlton care

Re: use of database
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 07:38:03 pm »
I'd call it " natural prgression"

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 07:39:22 pm »
Steve

Can't give you the legal reason but it almost certainly isn't unless you have got your Data Protection correctly registered.

I guess if you googled "data protection" then you might find some FAQ which will help.

The fact that it is not related to carpet cleaning would probably make it worse unless you explained the "how" and "why" you were writing to them.

If you tailor it to a very specific part of your database then you might get away with it if you know those particular clients well.
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

derek west

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 08:01:14 pm »
if your still in the cc business and this is another business that you run, then don't see the problem as long as you introduce your self as that great guy that did a fantastic job on there carpets and now i can do a fantastic job servicing your wife, or whatever it is your doing.
derek

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 08:21:07 pm »
Don't see what the problem is. You just do a mailout under your CC company and just say you thought they might be ineterested in this... 

I'd be upfront it's your company and I think that will increase response.

When they buy or opt in to receiving info from you they are on your other company's list. :)

carlton care

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 08:44:21 pm »
Can't you use the obvious " we also do" whatever it is you are about to do.

We have a Domiciliary Care business and there are are a number of associations, eg, House Cleaning, Transport, Training, Carpet Cleaning.

This being so, we market all of our services to our clients and include all services in all documentation

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 08:48:07 pm »
Robert is right why not advertise the fact that you do an added service as you are selling you!

or use the cc database to offer carpet cleaning services and also just have an advert at the bottom.

Shaun

Steve Chapman

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 10:34:57 pm »

Thanks for the replies,  i know it seems obvious but i didnt want to link too much to the carpet cleaning

as its a totally different business venture and didnt want to be seen as a jack of all trades, its to do

with a type of art, and not many people will equate a carpet cleaner to being a great artist ( at least

thats what i woulod think ;D)  So its not so much as an add on service but something totally new!

Think i will go with an ad but with a reference somewhere to carpet cleaning etc so its not totally

disconnected.

cheers

steve

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 10:41:00 pm »
Steve do a newspaper kind of article, "carpet cleaner with a touch of class" and do an editorial on yourself, customers love this and like to know a bit more about you as a person, you'll be surprised at what it may bring up.

When my son was born I sent database post cards out in the shape of a van like mine and put on it "Cleaning Pro & Son" people got the message and asked me how wife and baby were going on.

Shaun

Mike Halliday

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 07:00:09 am »
I would use your existing database. so what if it against the data protection act or illegal. nothing will happen and if it does you'll just get a letter saying you're acting illegally and don't do it again.

send a letter to all your existing customers, it doesn't make any difference that it has nothing to do with carpet cleaning. Put your self in your customers shoes and what they will think as they read the letter......

" ooh I've got a letter from that nice carpet cleaner, oooh!.... he's started doing children muriels on bedroom walls......."

do you think they will stop reading the letter? just be honest with them, tell them that although they know you as a carpet cleaner you have the soul of a great artist and you'd like to share your unique talent with them. everyone loves a good story they will understand (and be intrigued)

mike

PS I'm using 'muriels' as an example

Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

garry22

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 03:35:08 pm »
Steve,

I'm getting copywriting and SEO jobs from existing carpet cleaning customers.

I think this is due to our existing relationship (providing you can do the job, people always prefer to deal with someone they know).

In your case why would they not deal with you, just because you are a carpet cleaner?

I know a window cleaner who is a brilliant writer and lyricist (better than he thinks he is!). I also know a self made tycoon who just happens to be a great saxophone player. People do not  judge them according to their day jobs.

Your foot is already in the door. Go for it.

Garry

Steve Chapman

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 04:50:33 pm »
Thanks all for the input, just wanted to make sure before i mail out 1000 or so flyers,!

Sometimes its a psychological thing, thinking people wont like it, but im sure its better to market to my

existing customers rather than just looking for new ones, hopefully i'll improve the carpet cleaning side

of things aswell

regards
steve