Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

What would you have done?
« on: November 23, 2008, 05:21:34 pm »
I was asked to quote carpet cleaning for an empty three bed armed forces married quarter, I quoted £90 and was given the job. Then at the weekend I was binned off the job as someone said they'd do all the carpets "and" clean the whole house from top to bottom for £100... She told me that if it wasn't for the fact that she was actually moving out, she'd have kept me on as I'd came highly recommended and she is a friend of the family (who needs enemies?)

I said I'd match his price (heat of the moment reaction) but then I've changed my mind and let her know that I won't be carrying out the work... Was I right to do that? Or should I have tried to beat this guy at his own game? 

Re: What would you have done?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 05:28:57 pm »
£100?
I wouldn't even put someone in there to just do the general cleaning for £100 never mind the carpets and possibly window cleaning. What about the oven? An oven cleaning company will normally charge upwards of £50 just to do that alone.

I know we all have our prefered hourly rates but to do all that in 5 hours would take you down to £20/hour.

Your best out of it and this is a friends >:(

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 05:42:40 pm »
If you go in at a cheap price word gets around and you'll get all and sundry asking for cheap work, the fact is that you won't see this person again so they aren't going to be regular.

Shaun

Doug Holloway

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 06:02:46 pm »
Hi Colin

You were extremely cheap at 90, you could easily spend all day general cleaning etc all for a 100 less sundry expenses.

Even in these tough times it's important to get a decent rate as much for your sanity as anything else, you made the right decision.

Cheers

Doug

Dave_Lee

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 06:08:29 pm »
I wouldnt mind betting she will regret it. How good is the general cleaning going to be, never mind the carpets for £100. I bet she fails the 'march out' (Married Quarters inspection) The house has to be absolutely pristine clean from top to bottom. Every surface is tested for dust, even door frames, ovens have to spotless including the top underside. Toilets are checked around the underside of the rim with a mirror. Those guys who do the inspections look in places that you have forgotten were even there! If its not up to scratch, they will charge you to get a contractor in to bring it up to the required level. When I was in the army, I used to send my wife and son off a couple of days early so I could set about the place and get it sorted.
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 06:30:09 pm »
I charged £90 because she's my wife's friend (Apparantly!) My wife was fuming when I told her she'd got someone else in!.... It's funny though, you have so many friends wanting "Mate's rates", even had a guy last night asking if he was gonna get mates rate's, I honestly don't even know his name!

On the back of what you guys are saying, I think my prices are about to go up!

Thanks all!!

JandS

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 07:16:12 pm »
Worst work you can do is work for friends.
You want a decent rate but are scared in case they think you are ripping them off or they're slagging you off down the local.
Turned out ok last week though, quoted good family friend £85 and came out with a ton.
Families is usually free or £20 for some beer.

John
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 07:45:33 pm »
Same here I hate doing family and friends, most though just want someone they can trust so it may be in our heads that they want a discount.

Shaun

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 08:04:55 pm »
Always try (but don't always succeed) to get friends to phone me on my business number. I find it easier that way to treat them in a professional way rather than as a friend. Give a professional service and charge a professional fee.

As Shaun says it could just be in our heads and all they want is the job to be done properly.
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

Ian Rochester

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2008, 08:15:40 pm »
Colin,

We do a lot of march out cleans and there is no way they'll be able to clean the place from top to bottom, including carpets, windows, recesses, kitchen, bathroom, oven, etc, etc for £100 and make a profit.

We charge more than that just for the carpets. 

I've sent you an email to help you with pricing

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2008, 08:31:31 pm »
Colin,

We do a lot of march out cleans and there is no way they'll be able to clean the place from top to bottom, including carpets, windows, recesses, kitchen, bathroom, oven, etc, etc for £100 and make a profit.

We charge more than that just for the carpets. 

I've sent you an email to help you with pricing

I can't get my foot in the door with the married quarters... I approached the accommodation offices when I first set up business and they were so unhelpful and literally barked at me that they have someone who cleans....

He charges a fixed price for a three bed house, whole clean including carpets and oven... £130. I might just start getting him to do my house once a week!

ollie

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2008, 08:40:08 pm »
i do full house cleans oven, carpets all. Charged £400 for the last one, five bedrooms though and 12 hours £100 is ridiculous , ive been to clean houses taht companies have charged between £100 and £250 and they looked like they hadnt been touched.
ollie

clinton

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 07:17:59 am »
Hi colin

I do know the oven cleaners near myself and roger(dr carpet)charge 75 pounds just to clean an oven ::)

I know its hard as a newbie to turn money down as others will be saying well its beter to earn than to be sat at home :(

Gary Webber

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2008, 08:18:13 am »
Hi Colin,

It's one of those situations where you look at wether you need the work badly. When I first started, I used to take things like this (because it was work!) Then over time/experience you become "worldly wise" and realise the time it takes etc. and do I want to do this? As the others have posted, stick to your guns the next job is just around the corner!

from edge2edge

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2008, 10:23:10 am »
Colin what base was that.Alan (swindon)

neil 47

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2008, 07:03:13 pm »
Hi Colin

I live in Helston and did a fair bit of cc a couple of years ago but at the time needed a f/t job so cut back.

I found it hard to get a decent price unless i did a proper in house quote .

doing a fibre test checking carpets,   ,explaining process and pitfalls  of using unqualified cleaners .measuring carpets ,working out sq footage then discounting for large sq areas,showing them refferals ,showing them photos of jobs that I had done , and then leaving them a consumer report.. a long process but worth it I was acheaving well over £100 a house.

we could meet in the bell one night for a chat if you like .

Neil  .

ps there is a bloke with a george that does a lot of the houses on that estate, he lives there so knows most of them

IICRC

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2008, 09:10:01 pm »
Sounds like a plan Neil... I have to say that I knew that there was no way I'd get work up on the estate cleaning for the out musters when a couple of my oppo's told me how much they had been quoted.... Someone C/C'd my mates 3 bed houses for £45....Bloody bargain! :D  But when someone is leaving the place, why would they care about the job being done to a high standard? I know I wouldn't! ::) As long as it was passing the out muster!

My grief was with a so called friend of the family.... But hey, you win some, you loose some...

You're not the guy that works at the gym are you, by any chance?

neil 47

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2008, 09:33:07 pm »
Hi Colin

I work for the local authority in Truro .

couple of months ago a freind asked me if I could do a lounge and a hallway and how much .
so i said just give us £30 it would have just covered fuel and chemicals ,
guess what never heard from him again .
did carpets for someone i,ve known for years said just give us a couple of bottles of wine ,still waiting 9 months later .

Live and learn .

Ps

As a wise man said
"the more you charge the cleaner the carpets are that you clean "

Neil

IICRC

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2008, 09:45:19 pm »
I'll stick to telling my friends I'm booked up til next November Neil....

Cheers!