Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

sherco

Air movers
« on: November 09, 2008, 10:01:22 am »
What air movers do you guys use, and do you use them more this time of year? Did a carpet yesterday but customer wanted to turn heating right up and leave windows shut...carpets were slightly damp to touch when i finished and i thought an air mover would help during the winter or should i not worry to much about this.
Natural stone floor restoration service.
Natural stone fixing and repairs.
www.poshstonefloors.co.uk

nevil

Re: Air movers
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 11:13:09 am »
I reckon the heating on with the windows open would be better. Ventilation is the key to it.
The moisture in the carpet won't easily make the jump into the atmosphere once the air becomes saturated with moisture that's already evaporated. Air movers will take away the moisture laiden air and bring a supply of dryer air making evaporation easier. Similarly having the window open will allow a fresh supply of dryer air in and allow the saturated air out.  You can always say to the customer that if they want to speed up the drying they could put a fan on which will help.   

Mike Halliday

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 11:38:58 am »
I once read or someone told me that airmover work in 2 ways,

1) a layer of damp air sits over a clean, damp carpet. this damp air stops any further evaporation of moisture from the carpet, so an airmover constantly replaces this 6inch layer with new air,

2) the movement of the air over the top of the carpet creates an effect similar to that used by an aeroplane wing. Creating an upward movement of air, pulling the moisture upwards out of the depths of the carpet.

I personally believe an airmover works be using the universal principle of balance,  the air want to create a balance within its self. so air in the dining room  hold less moisture than the air in the living room,  if you can mix the air in both rooms the drying time of the cleaned carpet will decrease until the amount of moisture is equal in both rooms

So if the air outside holds more moisture than in the house opening windows will not aid drying
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

jasonl

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 02:26:40 pm »
Airmovement plus heating plus ventilation will dry a carpet faster than heat and ventilation .
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

richie

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 07:06:24 pm »
Drying carpet will be expedited by the use of air-moving equipment.  After carpet cleaning, the air directly above the carpet holds moisture. If too much moisture is used during the cleaning process, and there is a lack of airflow in combination with high relative humidity and hotter temperatures, the air above the carpet reaches saturation and drying will not occur as rapidly as necessary.

Air movers used directly after cleaning increase the airflow above the carpet, allowing drier air from the environment to circulate around the carpet, creating greater evaporation rates. This expedites the drying process, limiting the chance of slip accidents & carpet re-soiling.  Airflow, along with ventilation, should be used during the entire cleaning of the carpet.

Richie.

derek west

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 07:23:17 pm »
plain english.
yes air movers help, snails are good but whole room dryers are better, if you leave windows and doors slightly open while the dryers on the carpets dry quicker, if you can get the heating on as well, then even better.
clean a room then set up the airmover while you start the next room.
in summer if you can create a draft through a house, i.e. front door and back door open, or front door and window of room being cleaned open then thats your air movement so dryers arnt always needed in summer.
hope this helps
plain english derek

Mike Halliday

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 07:27:15 pm »
and everyone else is speaking Swahili then! ;D

I don't use airmovers, I  carry a small welsh dragon to breath on the carpet when I finish :P

derek west

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 07:30:18 pm »
just a bit over my head with all the technical jargon mike,
anyway where was i? oh yeah, dear patent pending, ive invented a carpet dryer machine that uses a dragon, and some, oops! wrong effin web site again, ahem!!! er er, terrible weather
derek

Mike Halliday

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 07:35:02 pm »
derek,
I've already patented the 'welsh dragon carpet dryer' (W.D.C.D) they go into mass production as soon as I find a good suppler of welsh dragons, might have to resort to Cornish dragons :-[ but I find the Cornish ones to be just full of hot air ;)

derek west

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2008, 07:43:15 pm »
cornish dragons it is then, and with all that hot air, it should dry  quicker than those inferior welsh ones, and lets face it, no one will understand the welsh instruction booklet that comes with it, instead of a snail shape, will yours be in the shape of a sheep.
i'm on to a winner here, dear patent pending..............
derek

Darren O

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2008, 08:36:57 pm »
For the past 3 months been using a Honeywell fan great bit of gear and powerfull was looking at Whole Room Dryer but its nearly as big as my machine.

dan roberts

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2008, 09:00:20 pm »
Just getthe cash and say the room willdry in the next two hours, repeat business is worth nothing compared to new expectant custys.
Life moves pretty fast, if u dont stop and look around once in a while, u could miss it.

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 08:29:25 am »
Never mind dragons....what about politicians? :o

They are certainly full of hot air. ;D

Just think, they could be useful for once...and find out what is happening in the real, wealth-creating, world. :)
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way