Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

craigp

protector
« on: November 06, 2008, 07:40:40 pm »
Can anybody suggest the most ecomonical, is it chenspec at £53 for 5 ltrs dilutes 1:4 ?

Why is this stuff such a rip off, 53 quid for 5 ltrs of chem!! I think its a cartel they all charge these prices cus all the rest are,

Craig

Kev Loomes

Re: protector
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 07:50:14 pm »
£53.00 at 4-1 = £13.25 for 5 ltrs. Thats a good price ??? There are suppliers out there that will charge way more than that.

markpowell

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 08:04:29 pm »
Scotchguard from www.olympiccleaning.com
4 litres £37.00 dilutes 1:8 making it £1.15 per litre.
Mark

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 08:09:39 pm »
that aint a bad price, i normally use prochem or xtracta stuff, but might try that scotchguard at that price

craigp

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 08:11:30 pm »
Mark I think scothgard is the same dilution 1;4 wet carpet 1;8 is for dry,

I had a brain wave, scotchgard tub looks like the 1 quart jug I got for my inline sprayer, which mixes 1;4 wonder if it will go straight into that?! put the cap back on for storage how easy would that be!

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 08:59:21 pm »
I've tried others but I like Craftex it's £70 for 4lts 1:4 dilution.

derek west

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 09:05:15 pm »
sod the dilution rate, i just drink it neat.
derek

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 09:57:14 pm »
Is it the dilution rate or how much carpet you can cover per litre of the made up concentrate that counts.

As far as I can make out 5 litres Stainshield made up only goes as far as 2  litres Promite neat  aprox.

And that Slouguard stuu I think you would only use a litre

craigp

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 10:02:38 pm »
Ian the coverage when diluted would be the same as promite.

that would be true of any protector, made up it should all cover the same.

rich hand

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 09:50:22 am »
not all protectors cover the same area, Stainguard 5 litres (ready to use) covers 120m where as Scotchguard is diluted to 15 litres to cover 93m which must drench carpets

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 04:08:16 pm »
Rich

thanks

Thats what Im trying to say, but without getting the containers I cant remember the exact figures.

Another thought is why cant you dilute the stuff less . Ie as far as I can remember if I diluted Stainshield by half and ony applied half as much diluted the cost would be similiar to good made up protectors. As Ken says i think I need to phone Chemspec

craigp

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 06:49:19 pm »
Sorry I assumed it would be the same with any diluted otherwise some will be need to be wetter than others.

If thats the case then working out which is most ecomonical will be a bit more complicated :-\

rich hand

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2008, 08:54:23 pm »
No probs Ian, ive thought the same as you about diluting less btw. Apparently stainguard can be used more concentrated because it can still pass sufficiently to the dye sites of the pile, with other protectors this may not be the case?

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2008, 10:30:21 pm »
Not sure if Nick is still selling it but he has one that is cheap and dilutes 1:1 so doesn't drench, not heard anyone comment on it but it did look good value for money, not on WOC.

Shaun

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2008, 09:55:32 am »
Craig

I got  Stainsheild  on Truckmounters Auction  have only just started using it. But i am unhappy about amount of mixed solution you need to put on a carpet.

I worked on the asumption that Concentrated made same as non concentrated but it apears not to be the case

i think it may dependend on what range you buy,

For instance on Alltec-Direct Concentrated is £108 for 5 litres

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2008, 01:06:54 pm »
Not wishing to be disrespectful to anyone.

Using pre-sprays as an example, we all use differing brands, with differing performance and in-use requirements and different dilution rates. So,  product A) is a different price and dilution to product B)

The same goes for protectors. Some have higher active ingredient content, some also have top-up Stain-Resist dye-site blockers. Some are marketed in different ways too.  So, dilution rates and prices can not be directly compared.

The mark up on protectors can be significant, so, IMO, your service should not be price led.  My advice would be to find a product which you find easy to work with, which performs to the standard you are happy with and apply a price that works for you as well as the customer.

Safe and happy cleaning :)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

craigp

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2008, 05:34:33 pm »
I'm not really price led, I try hard not to be.

But to clean a carpet lets say for £60. cost of my chemical at a guess 50p to £2 (if I had to use lots of solvent etc)

I charge 30% the cost of cleaning to protect =£78

so for the extra £18 to apply protector 'correctly' would cost me £5 to £10 again estimate.

if I charge more I have less take up. I think the price of protector is way to high, and its not the cost of making it is high.

craigp

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2008, 05:51:40 pm »
Just looked at prochems flourseal carpet protector, 5ltrs covers 40sqm average.

thats 2 rooms of 4m x 5m is size!

at £35 inc vat per 5ltrs

thats a staggering £17.50 to protect one room.

How are the cheapos who advertise £10 a room to protect managing! lol. they gotta be using water i think.

markpowell

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2008, 06:22:59 pm »
I charge 50% of the price of the clean to apply protector. I use to use fluroseal but now use Scotchguard. I have never had any complaints only ever good feedback on the product.
Mark

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2008, 08:58:54 am »
Craig

i do not know if it has been said

But Im told you need Craftex for Free Protector deal etc

I di look at Extracta  a few years back and that looked a good deal.

How do we know which one is best

The Solutions one being sold at alltec -direct is about £100

Floroueal which I regard as a top quality one is £30.50  but does not cover as much as other brands for 5  litres

Just read on Cleansmart site i can experiment with using lesx water with stainshield  concentrate.

Presume coverage will still be 25 m aprox depending on pile to litre of concentrate

Not sure why I should experiment  Chemspec should do that.