Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

foxy

ladder stopper and how did the archer get on?
« on: October 03, 2008, 05:07:27 pm »
has anyone got any view on using a ladder stopper? there are different sorts, different prices. i use a simple rubber matt at the min but thought about asking for a ladder stopper for christmas (how sad, how sad).  :-[ has anyone got any expience and how did the archer get on with the pricing up? enjoy the weekend  ;)
traditional cleaner, shop windows and some pubs.

Re: ladder stopper and how did the archer get on?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 06:33:49 pm »
Personally i use articulated ladder feet on my 'a' frame. Using a stopper is too cumbersome, keep having to move it once you have moved the ladder, then move the ladder again onto it..  :-\

I know ladder feet are not seen as a suitable footing device in some peoples eyes, but they are far the best option imo.

I now only use wfp for windows, but gutters is something different - so i still use the ladders for that job.

jeff1

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 06:48:20 pm »
I use these when I use my ladder.
www.laddatec.com/

If your a member of the academy you can get a code for 10% discount

matt

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 08:04:48 pm »
i used to use a Rojak ladder stopped, just google it for a pic

very nice to know you have something, i used to also carry a tool bag full of sand aswell to put up against the stopper, overkill i know, but i was safe ;)

Bobs Window Cleaning

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 09:47:21 am »
Hope its Stamford bridge ;D

Bob
Why oh Why did he spell my name as bod & not bob on my wedding invites.

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 03:43:59 pm »
has anyone got any view on using a ladder stopper? there are different sorts, different prices. i use a simple rubber matt at the min but thought about asking for a ladder stopper for christmas (how sad, how sad).  :-[ has anyone got any expience and how did the archer get on with the pricing up? enjoy the weekend  ;)
If you use a rubber mat/Rojak stopper or similar, the only bit that counts is where the ladder feet sit on the device, so there is no difference between a separate bit of rubber on the ground, or a flat bit of rubber attached to the bottom of the ladder.

I'm with Chris - you get exactly the same protection using articulated feet as you do using a cumbersome separate device - it's just one more unnecessary thing to lug around with you.

matt

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 07:53:57 pm »
If you use a rubber mat/Rojak stopper or similar, the only bit that counts is where the ladder feet sit on the device, so there is no difference between a separate bit of rubber on the ground, or a flat bit of rubber attached to the bottom of the ladder.

I'm with Chris - you get exactly the same protection using articulated feet as you do using a cumbersome separate device - it's just one more unnecessary thing to lug around with you.

not strictly true

as the rojak ladder stopped as a ali upturn ( which prevents the ladder from slipping ) thus you have a large area of rubber in contact with the ground

google is for a image

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 05:32:49 pm »
The upturn makes no difference at all.  It's fixed to the rubber mat, so it's only as good as the grip between the mat and the ground - if the mat slips, the ladder slides.  The only thing the upturn does is stops the ladder sliding on the upper surface of the mat, and if it were possible for the ladder to do that, the safety device isn't much good!!

The only thing any of these "safety aids" does, is increase the surface area of rubber in contact with the ground, and if the ground is slippery, it makes no difference how big an area you've got, the mat will still slip.

The danger with "safety aids" is that they can give a false sense of security, and lead to taking risks you wouldn't otherwise.

Rubber mats, ladder feet etc work because there's friction between the rubber and the ground, increasing the area doesn't increase the "co-efficient of friction" - i.e. when the point is reached where the grip between rubber and ground gives way, it WILL give way, regardless of how much area of rubber there is.

fullers cleaners

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 09:25:43 pm »
I use a rojak ladder stopper they are also useful for putting wheels of trolley on in van or bucket to stop any movement whilst driving ;D