Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

simonwonder

come in out of the cold
« on: October 03, 2008, 10:24:47 pm »
hi all
never had so much fun
after 4 years of working for myself have nearly sold everything

as business has declined have gone to a national cleaning company to work
get to use a factory fit system and no hassle going to get a living wage first time in 4 years
will let you know how i get on
so far so good
still on my own but with wages and no bills to get it
(heaven)

geefree

Re: come in out of the cold
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 10:51:24 pm »
Glad you feel better, but i have worked for other people all my life, so i feel the opposite working for myself... no bosses to answer to... no set time to start and finish... no one on my case if i need a dental appointment, etc etc etc....

can i ask you something, i have only been doing this 2 years, and its growing steadily each week, with only basic advertising....

i was once told its a snowball affect, once it rolling it grows and grows...

and that seems to be the case...  but it also depends what you put in too, so i suppose if your heart is not in working for yourself,  it will decline all on its own, as you will stop its growth with your lack of enthusiasm, energy and so on...

my point being, something like our business grows and grows, i have not seen anyones round shrink..... but i may be wrong.

Gary.

adixon

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 12:39:40 am »
Gazza 2922 posts bloody hell mate

ftp

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 08:07:45 am »
At least you'll know exactly how much you will take home every week i suppose. I'm suprised you didn't pick up loads of work yourself, maybe Swindon is a hard nut to crack - too many Ionics systems about?
 My own business has got to the snowballing stage at the moment, i have a quiet week next week and to be honest i could do with a rest. I think lots of customers are wary of new start ups and will watch you for months on end from behind the curtains before they get bold enough to dump their old cleaner or take you on.
 Could be a useful learning experience for you Simon - i bet you go self employed again though in a couple of years.

simon knight

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 08:21:18 am »

As far as I can make out the only advantage with working for yourself is being your own boss and not having to take crap from anyone....every other aspect of it sucks!

jaykie

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 08:29:05 am »
Maybe everyone in swindon run businesses out of the town as i have been asked to price up work along the south coast from companys in swindon.

Chris

Pittmonkey

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 07:13:34 pm »
I was feeling a bit P'd off on Friday. Don't really know why, maybe just need a week off.

So sat in the van for 10 mins lit a ciggy and quickly jotted down how much I would have earned from 9.30 am to 12pm if I was working for someone else( Bog Standard wage maybe £20 before TAX)

Looked at what I had earned in the same period £97 before Tax. Finished my smoke and jumped out the van and cracked on with a spring in my step. :)

Another 2hrs and 10 mins later, finished on my way home, plus a few more £'s in my pocket  :)

Money isn't solely the motivation for me but it can certainly gee you up.

Good Luck whatever you do Simon, you know yourself if it feels right.

Wayne
'Success is buried in the garden of failure'

Dale Smith

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 08:12:43 pm »
I had a good chat with Simon yesterday evening, he has had a bad time of it lately. I think he is quite relieved to be getting a regular wage coming in, and I think like FTP that he will be back eventually self employed & going for it.

We have found Swindon a tough nut to crack, but also like Gazza we have also found that we are on a snowball effect, and work seems to be steadily coming in, so no complaints here as we gain & gain.
Due to Swindon being hard we focused on towns around us, and this has really worked a treat, with a steady stream of work coming in from them, once again the snowball effect working well.... ;)

Swindon, Wiltshire.

geefree

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 12:46:10 am »
Gazza 2922 posts bloody hell mate

i am sad good god .... lol

Londoner

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 07:21:05 am »
The thing about this job I find is that you have highs and lows in the motivation department. Working on your own can be lonely and sometimes if you are a bit run down or whatever it all gets a bit much.

I don't think you can do much about it, just be aware that its going to happen from time to time and recognise the signs when it does. Its a perfectly natural reaction so don't worry about it.

simonwonder

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, 04:04:16 pm »
dale and ftp
yes i know so need to put some dollars in the bank get the wife and bank manager of my back and maybe down size the van after may next year because although the job gives me a van only for work use so got to keep my wheels for now downsize in the spring and see where we go from there

bigsi41

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 04:22:39 pm »
dale and ftp
yes i know so need to put some dollars in the bank get the wife and bank manager of my back and maybe down size the van after may next year because although the job gives me a van only for work use so got to keep my wheels for now downsize in the spring and see where we go from there
I wish you all the best simon , and you can always come back to it if things dont work out . Just be happy .