Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Dick

What a scam
« on: September 15, 2008, 10:48:04 pm »
I was contacted recently by a customer who had had his gutters cleaned out and gutter guard installed in April this year, he was concerned that since then his gutters had leaked, he wanted me to take the gutter guard out. I went on Saturday to have a look. The gutters were full of leaves and guess what, there was no gutter guard in any if the house gutters but were in the garage gutters which can be accessed from the ground.
'How much did you pay for that' I asked, '£395' he said 'and it took them half a day'.
I cleaned them out and flushed them through, took me less than an hour, I charged him £25, he gave me £35.
He's contacted the firm and they've given him 4 promises to come and sort it out.
I suggested he contacted Trading Standards as they would probably do the same many times again.
The firm was from Worcester, don't know the name but beware.

Nathanael Jones

Re: What a scam
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 09:06:44 am »
A guy I did a gutter job for a few weeks back told me about someone he knew that did gutter cleaning years ago. He'd go up and scoop out the worst of the muck by hand, but always leave a small layer in the bottom. Then when the custie wasn't looking he'd sprinkle in some grass seed from his pocket!

This guy turned gutter cleaning into a regular, 2 or 3 times a year business, and apparently was doing it for years before he was caught out!

Paul Coleman

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 09:17:33 am »
A guy I did a gutter job for a few weeks back told me about someone he knew that did gutter cleaning years ago. He'd go up and scoop out the worst of the muck by hand, but always leave a small layer in the bottom. Then when the custie wasn't looking he'd sprinkle in some grass seed from his pocket!

This guy turned gutter cleaning into a regular, 2 or 3 times a year business, and apparently was doing it for years before he was caught out!

I knew one guy (long since died) who used to put a ball at the top of the downpipe.  He justified it by saying that he only did it if they were well off.  I only found out about it years afterwards so wasn't in a position to call him on it.

seandyer2003

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 06:46:42 pm »

;D ;D

I know that is really sly, but highly ingenius lol!!

tacky

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 09:40:54 pm »
i seen that trick with the tennis ball .in heartbeat .a few years ago .greengrass sent david up the ladder to put the ball in top of downpipe .

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 09:42:57 pm »

Used to do that to all the hanging baskets in town, never did like geraniums   ;D