Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

stoneleech

Leaded windows
« on: September 12, 2008, 11:15:48 pm »
I have a customer who has had brand new leaded windows installed. She asked me if there is anything she should definately not use on them. (cleaning products wise)? I said i didn't know but would ask around.

Any response appreciated.

Small but perfectley formed

Re: Leaded windows
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 02:45:04 pm »
vim powder ha ha  ;D
Spit and polish

Tim82

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 02:46:05 pm »
soap

Rob.Hall

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 05:06:39 pm »
Is there any difference from leaded to leaded light?
Can you still wfp leaded light with no come backs?

Londoner

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 08:23:26 am »
Real leaded windows are going to be 50 years old at least and could be twice that or more.
Each diamond is a separate piece of glass and because of the age the lead has become loose allowing the whole window to move, sometimes quite alarmingly. The windows will often leak as well.
About the only way you can clean these windows is with a WFP but gently.

I wouldn't touch them when I was trad.

Londoner

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 08:29:07 am »
Sorry, I missed off the second part of what I was going to say.

Even modern leaded windows are much better cleaned with a WFP. Trying to clean them trad is hard work or you just spray and wipe which doesn't get into the corners.

The only trouble either way is when the lead starts to come unstuck.

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 08:33:16 am »
I've never seen that with the seperate diamonds, but even the fake ones are a real pain to clean, very pointless and the result is that customers never touch them and window cleaners need to charge them more.

To keep on topic, if they are fake and not seperate diamonds, I just buff them with a scrim, a blade is useless or wfp should be ok.

seandyer2003

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 08:43:07 am »
Real leaded windows are going to be 50 years old at least and could be twice that or more.
Each diamond is a separate piece of glass and because of the age the lead has become loose allowing the whole window to move, sometimes quite alarmingly. The windows will often leak as well.

I have got quite a few "real leaded" and did them trad, and they were very profitable too, just have to be gentle and use a microfibre to just dust them almost! But they are a bit weak, sometimes the whole window bends in!!

Dave Turley

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 12:48:01 pm »
i've seen other w/c's doing diamond leaded windows on first floor with a pole and squeegee.

I dread to think how the finisheds job looked.

it must wreck his rubber as well

stoneleech

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 04:34:16 pm »

yeah, soz, they are not real leaded windows. UPVC frames with shiny lead, she wants to know what will keep the shiny look on the "lead" and are there any products that she shouldn't use?

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 05:39:00 pm »
she wants to know what will keep the shiny look on the "lead"

She can't.

Unless she (or you) regularly polish every single strip of lead with metal polish ;D

The lead will slowly oxidise, causing it to become dull and dark coloured.

No amount of washing (or buffing with scrim) will prevent it.

She could try varnishing each individual lead strip with a good quality yacht varnish ::)

Have to take care not to get it on the glass, though