Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

NWH

Re: isopropanol
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2008, 09:12:54 pm »
These Isopropanol posts are a giggle aren't they? You guys who are using/wasting the stuff, get a clean glass of water then pour say twenty percent into the water and see what happens. The Alcohol rises to the top and sits there until it evaporates. Chuck it in your tank and it sits on the top, your outlet is always at the bottom, so how much alcohol do you think is hitting the glass? If any gets through and makes it to the brush head (doubtful) the chances are it will evaporate so fast as to be neglegable. To use it in a suspended form you would need a circulating pump constantly churning the water to keep it mixed and no-one has that. Don't believe me? then try it in the glass - you are all wasting your money i'm afraid.  ::)
Is that why it produces bubbles on the glass and stops the water from freezing then is it,another pointless comment from you ftp why don`t you try it like you should a lot of other things before you waste time posting rubbish.

peter holley

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2008, 09:27:28 pm »
ftp... you are very inexperienced and post before you have tried and tested...i only listen to posts when i know that the person has experience....and i feel you have a GOOD BRAIN BUT NO EXPERIENCE

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2008, 09:35:52 pm »
Can it be used with a hot system?

Yep,.. it works really good to!

I wasn't too impressed when I tried IPA in my cold setup,... but it's really good with hot water.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2008, 09:37:34 pm »
Chuck one litre into your 1000 litre tank and you'll probably get a film of alcohol probably a millimeter thick floating on the surface, this will evaporate in no time, the chances are you've never actually got ANY alcohol on the glass ever!

I thought the same till I tried it.
It makes a visible difference,.. bubbles on the glass, better sheeting etc.

dudek

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2008, 09:49:26 pm »
so no chance of an explosion then?  :o

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2008, 09:51:02 pm »
sorry ftp but iso does not sit in a seperate layer
i know where you are coming from with the print back ground
but iso mixed with water stabilizes and bonds
you need to add salt to make it seperate out into a seperate layer

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2008, 09:51:45 pm »
no

dudek

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2008, 09:59:35 pm »
will it make any easier or quicker?

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2008, 10:03:53 pm »
personally i used it last winter
it stopped hose freezing on the ground
did seem to give a high shine to the glass
dont use it all the time tho

ftp

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2008, 10:34:46 pm »
Well, i have a container of 100% isopropanol and i added it to a glass of water tonight try it! I know what i'm talking about i've had thirty three years of using the stuff so i think i'm more experienced than anyone on this forum. If you think a litre will mix in 1000l of static water then so be it, but i know different. Go on mix it and watch your mixture in the glass.

NWH

« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2008, 10:37:17 pm »
Do you not listen,i`ve used the stuff for 2 years now and am living proof that it does work.Lets start a new thread lets argue for the sake of it.

ftp

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2008, 11:02:46 pm »
Sorry NWH you are the one who doesn't listen if you want to waste your time and everyone  elses then carry on. Would you like me to take a photo for you? It seems you haven't got a clue what your doing. Are you using a hydrometer or a glugometer?

ftp

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2008, 11:15:46 pm »
The guys adding it to their backpacks or van mounts might be able to get it to mix to some extent with the vehicle sloshing the water around. If using it as an antifreeze you'll need far more than a whisky glass per tank for it to work which is the amount NWH was using last year - the percentage is minimal. The chap with the static tank hasn't a chance of drawing it from the bottom of his tank.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2008, 11:22:08 pm »

Only a small one!!!

;)

I asked a buddy of mine who's a chemist,.. he reckons that without a source of oxygen, and when the temp is limited by the boiling point of water, and when it's mixed 1000:1,... then no,.. no explosion,...

seandyer2003

« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2008, 01:59:58 pm »

Only a small one!!!

;)

I asked a buddy of mine who's a chemist,.. he reckons that without a source of oxygen, and when the temp is limited by the boiling point of water, and when it's mixed 1000:1,... then no,.. no explosion,...

Thats encouraging :) Only a small chance is still worrying?

trevor perry

« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2008, 03:12:15 pm »
sorry ftp but i use the stuff and have done for over 12 months i add a small glass full to a 650 ltr tank and you can definately tell it is there the water bubbles on contact with glass and in my opinion it definately makes the water sheet better, give it a try and then try and tell us it doesnt mix.
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2008, 05:22:27 pm »

I've used IPA in my hot system a few times,.. no problems at all so far.
Only a small one!!!

;)

Thats encouraging :) Only a small chance is still worrying?