Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Kev Loomes

Fresh water tank dump
« on: August 11, 2008, 10:54:22 pm »
Does anyone have a suggestion of how to empty a fresh water tank (vertical), as when I get sediment at the bottom I have to take the tank out and rinse out with a hose pipe.

I was thinking of putting in a form of dump valve or plumbing gate valve etc to just make things easier, but am wondering how to do up the associated nut on the inside!

Any ideas?

Shaun_Ashmore

Re: Fresh water tank dump
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 10:58:58 pm »
When your emptying your tank why not suck the rest out with your vac pipe? you'd also be rinsing out your dirty tank at teh same time.

Shaun

David_Annable

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 08:54:53 am »
Hi

The water tanks that are in the loft have a 11/2" ? fitting, something like that.

Is that the kind of thing?

Dave
NCCA, Woolsafe, IICRC Leather Cleaning Technician

Kev Loomes

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 02:10:08 pm »
Dave

I guess so. Essentially when I need to empty it I want to do it as fast as possible. I thought maybe something that I can connect a hose to so I can just poke the hose towards the floor, pull/turn a tap/valve or whatever and empty it quickly. Then if I need to rinse it I can just stick the hose in and flush it whilst it drains.

I was more worried about the trying to fit it attempt as I know I cant fit inside the tank to tighten it up from the inside :P

Shaun

I know what you mean, but I didnt want to muck about wasting time sucking it out to be honest. If I'm in a hurry (like first thing in the morning), I need things done fast!

PaulKing

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 02:29:11 pm »
got to ask what sort of sediment are you getting, I'm think this is the tank you fill with water from the  tap, should be pretty free from debris ect?
www.revitaclean.com  established 1968 in Newcastle Upon Tyne

BDCS

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 04:25:27 pm »
Try dual pumps and buy a bulk head valve . Cut the hole and put the nut on a piece of wire and aim it at the hole, fit the valve from the outside into the nut and tighten again from the outside

Jim_77

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 06:36:59 pm »
Sounds like a job for a gynaecologist, not a carpet cleaner :D

Mike Halliday

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 06:47:12 pm »
I'm surprised no one has asked what the tank is made from ::) this will determine any subsequent answer.

lets assume its a plastic tank with a small filling hole, so small that it prohibits reaching into the tank and holding a fixing nut on the inside.

so you need to fit a drain fitting from the outside. cut a perfect hole in the tank so a fitting will thread into the hole,  screw it in and use a correct glue on the flange against the tank.

but this is toooo much hassle, so go with Shauns suggestion ;)

Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Len Gribble

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 07:18:05 pm »

Kev

Got one on my Fibreglass tank great for dumping water but it dose take time and it dose save on fuel, not a lot good for getting out all the sediment, then I leave a bit in park correctly and use vac pipe.

Cant believe the amount of c r ap you get in the header tank.

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Kev Loomes

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 07:40:29 pm »
Cheers for the replies chaps. Mike has a good idea with the thread, think I'll do that. By the way it is a plastic tank with a big opening and screw lid (from JK's), a midget would probably fir inside - but I dont know any ;D

Mike Halliday

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 08:38:43 pm »
I've got 2 of JKs 175lt tanks fitted in my van, one over each wheel arch.

are you wanting to put the drain hole at the far end, could you fit in the side directly below the fill lid?

or do you have one of them big 400lt tanks ::)
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 08:56:07 pm »
I watched a plumber put a header tank in our loft and he just heated the copper pipe up until it glowed and the punctured the tank with it (all this with no torch) then with his socket set attached his fitting to the other side, £60 for less than half an hour with a cuppa tea, robbery ;D

Shaun

Kev Loomes

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 09:27:35 pm »
I've got 2 of JKs 175lt tanks fitted in my van, one over each wheel arch.

are you wanting to put the drain hole at the far end, could you fit in the side directly below the fill lid?

or do you have one of them big 400lt tanks ::)

250ltr tank Mike. I want to put the drain at the opposite end to the outlet, but I need to fit it as close to the bottom as possible to allow most of it to drain off.

I watched a plumber put a header tank in our loft and he just heated the copper pipe up until it glowed and the punctured the tank with it (all this with no torch) then with his socket set attached his fitting to the other side, £60 for less than half an hour with a cuppa tea, robbery ;D

Shaun

Ive got 2 brothers who are plumbers - think I'll collar one of em me thinks :D

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2008, 09:31:54 pm »
You never mentioned that, why worry make them a cuppa and play them off aginst each other saying that Brother 1 says Brother 2 can't do it ;D

Shaun

Kev Loomes

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2008, 09:44:22 pm »
You never mentioned that, why worry make them a cuppa and play them off aginst each other saying that Brother 1 says Brother 2 can't do it ;D

Shaun

LOL like it. You know, I had em both up my way last week to have a round of golf, absolutely pi**ed myself laughing as the one that has played more than me and my other bruv tried to hit a ball 7 times before he hit it. I was laughing so much it hurt.

Then on the last hole tee'ing off, he managed to hit it vertically to his immediate left and go over a twenty foot tree hedge. Classic, you could'nt do it if you tried!

Jim_77

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2008, 09:48:35 pm »
I'd make sure he's more adept with a spanner than a golf club before letting him loose on your tank!