Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

johns window kleen

EYE PROTECTION
« on: July 05, 2008, 05:57:48 pm »
 Just a thought but do many of you wear sunglasses when working?.

I allways have done apart from winter cos sun glare gives me headaches, more importantly a friend of a friend has just been diagnosed with cancer of the eyes, caused by the sun.
 He isnt a window cleaner but I think he was a bit of a sun bather. This did scare me a bit given that our job means looking into the sun most of the day and the glare and reflections even with the benefit of sunglasses can still be blinding.

darragh windows

Re: EYE PROTECTION
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 06:01:42 pm »
my inlaws  window cleaner was diagnosed with cancer of the eye scared me to i always make sure i have shades on and make sure they have proper protection eg british kite mark
jamie

chrismroberts

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 06:02:04 pm »
My god.... cancer of the eyes? :o :-[ Thats terrible :(:( I hope he recovers.

Did have a nice set of sunglasses that had survived a good 6 months or so.... but they appear to have gone missing... best policy with sunglasses for the windows I think is not to spend TOO much, as they get a battering... :-\

Even a set of £20 sunglasses from boots will have the BS kite mark these days too, and the ones that change tint could be useful too... moving in and out of shade!

Dean Aspects

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 06:02:26 pm »
I often wear sunglasses as the sun/glare sometimes gives me headaches and we all need to protect our eyes

ftp

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 06:17:50 pm »
Scarey or what! Never thought about it much, but your right about staring into the sun
and i get a headache at the end of a sunny day - i put it down to geting dehydrated because i don't drink enough - just can't be bothered with getting rid of it after it's passed through!  :o

Pole2pole

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 06:35:27 pm »
I came back from Tunisia about 3 weeks ago. The day after i got back i got nagging headaches and pains in my eyes. Lookin in the mirror, i noticed white lumps on the whites of my eyeballs. I have never worn suglasses, not even out in Tunisia. Anyways after a visit to my GP, then the opticians, then(last week) to my local eye hospital. It turns out that i have something called(tropical eye). Probably brought on from the job(wfp) but brought to a head while on holiday. I have been given eyedrops and told that it should go after a week or so, but i tell you, i was crapping for a bit. Wear sunglasses all the time now. I just hope it isn't a case of too little too late, in the sense that i have done damage already.

Elginn

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 06:49:53 pm »
Never worn sunglass's in my life but now I'm wfp I wear them when I need to, same reason because of headaches

dai

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 07:24:45 pm »
I wouldn't work without them, I have prescription polarised lenses, these cut out all reflected glare.
You just couldn't see the windows at times with the sun reflecting right back at you.

s.w.c

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 07:50:28 pm »
to me sunglasses is a must, one is for protection from the sun, two is to be able to see the glass a look for any mistake, someone said best bet is to buy cheap ones, this i disagree with as the lens on cheap ones ain't true polaroid , so if not true Polaroids then your eyes ain't getting the best protection needed, i find for true good Polaroids fishing shops are your best bet as they are used for looking through the water looking for fish and they take the surface glare off the water price range from 20 quid to 89 quid, but i have found millet's do a good one bloc for 40quid for ski-ing and true Polaroids 

dd

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 08:20:45 pm »
Aswell as cancer I wonder if macular degeneration could also result from regular exposure to sunlight reflected off glass.I also find sunlight reflects from white/yellow painted walls can be painful.

Wear sunglasses most of the time for wfp and find a sun hat sometimes help shield eyes from sun.