Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

AuRavelling79

3 new custies today. What economic downturn?
« on: July 04, 2008, 10:31:29 pm »
Lady caught me in the street on Tuesday, I did her house today for the first time and she'd collared her next door neighbour and the next one but one and now I've got all three! No van move either - sweet.

It's still out there guys and gals.
It's a game of three halves!

matt

Re: 3 new custies today. What economic downturn?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 10:45:47 pm »
ive been really slow, picked up nothing, though i might add, i do 95 % of houses in area's that i clean

i have passed a few jobs on to a mate, as i didnt do the area's and dont really have time to do them either

Dean Aspects

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 10:55:48 pm »
Got two to quote for this week two i turned down and one that i quoted for last summer  ::) i am attracting work without even trying at the moment

Mr.G

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 11:34:37 pm »
I'm still getting plenty of new enquiries, BUT I have noticed several long standing customers lately are asking to go from 1 monthly down to 2 monthly, which is a pain.

TennetClean

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 11:50:44 pm »
As far as I can tell, business has not been affected at all.

I think the media hype up the whole recession thing because nothing sells newspapers like bad news.

Actually I'll be working tomorrow which will be the first time I've done a saturday for a long time.

Having said that, I have a mate who is a brick layer and for him things have gone VERY quiet

Maybe window cleaning is just more recession proof than other things.
My friends call me Tuppence Clean

Neil271052

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 08:02:26 am »

I think some customers put a lot of store by having clean windows and others look on it as a luxury.

Not noticed any recession around my area though.
Cheers,
Neil

jaykie

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 08:20:26 am »
Ive gained quite a few jobs over the last few days 8 in total, when i did a customer yesterday we got talking about fuel prices, food, her work etc, she was standing talking about this with money in hand, i was thinking the next bit was going to be her saying she didnt want my services anymore, but it wasnt, it was ill see you in a few weeks. Few.

Chris

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 09:00:37 am »
I'm getting a few out of my area that I'm passing on, and a few in.  But a few of my customers have canceled due to being out of work.  I might even be losing a bit more work than I'm picking up at the moment. And I'm not expensive 2 houses this week, one £7.50 and one £6.50, both semi's.  A few have said to me as well that they might have to cancel due to every thing going up.  Their window cleaning hasn't gone up this year.

Simon

AuRavelling79

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 09:03:35 am »
Sorry to hear that Simon, have you offered "every other month" to keep them on your books?
It's a game of three halves!

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 09:23:59 am »
One the husband has been out of work since December and the other was by post.  I was offering the every other month service to those that cancel though.  I hadn't seen many signs of a down turn myself, but to have 2 actual cancellations in different area's in a week because of economy was a surprise.  At least they were only low priced jobs and not a big contract.

Simon.

elite mike

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2008, 09:45:28 am »
this is the third reccesion we have worked through

and never really lost any custom thankfully  :D

m baker

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2008, 01:19:16 pm »
lost 8 customers this week,had 2 go bio monthly all long standing customers all said cant aford any more due to every thing goingup. have put out 5000 flyers last six weeks only picked up 1gutter job,i think times are going to be hard for next couple years!

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2008, 01:39:15 pm »

I fully agree with that, there have been a number of occasions where Ive seen posts on here saying regarding a recession or downturn that we as window cleaners will be the first to go. Possibly, but not likely. If theres an economic downturn then the new car/holiday/patio/extension goes before us. Theres very little chance of Mr and Mrs Average having to downsize their lifestyle by disposing of the cheapest things in their lives first.

Do people really get rid of the £10.00/mth expenditure BEFORE the £1,500 holiday?

Pj

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2008, 02:09:17 pm »
I have noticed something just lately, since all the economy doom and gloom - I'm being paid cash a lot more than before, it used to be a lot more cheques.  maybe people are emptying their matresses! :o

dave0123

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2008, 03:46:04 pm »
Works gone mad for me.

Picked up a monthly clean of 22 flats over the last 2 weeks about 6 jobs houses and a think around 4 5 UPVC facia's, gutters, soffits cleans ranging to about a grand just for them.

dave
Dave.

prestigeclean

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2008, 04:12:58 pm »
finding it hard to keep up with all the new work coming in , happy days regards alan

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2008, 04:32:23 pm »
I've also lost a few recently due to cost of living/fuel increasing.

Strange thing is, I've also picked up a few new ones who have been prepared to pay more.

One woman was happily paying another WCner £20/4weeks for a 3bed terraced house. She told me this after I'd quoted her £10 for the same job.

glen parva

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2008, 04:35:00 pm »
just put out 500 leaflets
all £8.00+ house
got 8 houses  every month
1 full house clean + windows
it just picking the right street / area  
im aiming to put out 500 leaflets a week
then a few domestic cleans are gone from weekly to monthly
you cannot work it out
john
glen parva cleaning serivces