Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

wanted, backpack, trolley, advice...summat??!!!
« on: May 28, 2008, 08:39:34 am »
hi guys,

got some 3 storey leaded windows, the are upvc, they are safe climbs, but when i'm up there i can't help thinking that at this height, once incident and that's it, if i survived i don't think my life would be great. so i just want a cheap second hand way of doing this work, me and my mate are going halves as he has some work similar. we don't want to go overboard as its only £200 a month at moment but will probably double as no one else is nutty enough to do other half of estate. we are not bothered if its pure wfp as soap and rinsing would be fine (we live in a very soft water area and when water dries its acceptable). we were thinking of getting the unger hiflo kit, but a thread on here suggests they're not very good....so any advice and any cheap stuff going appreciated, we are in lancs.

cheers

kris martin

Re: wanted, backpack, trolley, advice...summat??!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 09:04:30 am »
take it your not at work today shaun because of the crap weather through the valley's

Xline Systems

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 09:23:38 am »
your water must be extreamly soft if your getting good resuts with water straight out the tap. never heard of this before! or am i reading this wrong?

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 09:34:30 am »
no you misunderstand, its good enough to get away with on 3rd storey leaded, one window per house, however if i can buy summat cheap that is pure, then great. i'm a trad wc, all other windows done trad.

hope this clears things up and i'm explaining myself properly

cheers

Xline Systems

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 09:44:21 am »
i understand now. and yes pure water can be made very cheaply now. you dont have to go expensive!!!!
what is your tap tds? do you know?

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 09:56:19 am »
absolutely no idea, but seriously, when i used to use a wfp 7 years ago, i once forgot to ro one night so just filled tap water as it was only council work, soaped and rinsed, let em dry, just a few spots, so the ro unit got sold, and i carried on using tap water for 3 years, not a single complaint, in fact they were chuffed as no ladders used. don't get me wrong, they were not perfect, but good enough.

i have trailer, technical expertise and access to recycled blue tank 45 gallon tubs. we already have an unger big pole,

but seeing on that we plan to do our work for next couple decades, might aswell cut down on the really high climbs.

as i said there is only one window, well two on one house style but previous wc didn't touch that as its above a bay and that would be a mega dodgy climb, so if i can clean that aswell, bonus, i look good, but like i said only small amount of work so wouldnt want to spend more than £400 to £500 between us.

cheers

kris martin

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 09:58:19 am »
i dont understand how you soap and rinse with a wfp???

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 10:06:08 am »
easy, stick brush head in soapy water, agitate, rinse off, the one i made before had vw polo screens jest mounted above the hiflo brush with a 150 psi 12v pump, in them days full systems were £30k and a long way outta my reach, i had the largest unger ally pole and i had a piece of aircraft alloy that extended it if necessary on big stuff, was really heavy, but not as heavy as an industrial set of triple 16's complete with microlite stuck on top. we only had too use soapy solution first couple times to get the frames clean, after that as all you guys know on commercial plain sailing. seems a bit heath robinson nowadays but it did the job

cheers

shaun

Xline Systems

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 10:08:33 am »
just strp a pump to a 25ltr barrel and sit it on a sack truck if thats the way you want to go. or buy a shurflo back pack or a trolley. but for the little use that you would be using it would pump through a di unit just for piece of mind. you can get a di unit for as little as £40.

oh and no need to use soap as defeating the object of using pure water.
hope this is of help.

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 10:21:43 am »
so the pump will be powerful enough to push thru a di unit? if so then that solution sounds amazingly cheap. yeah i know the science behind it, but on commercial and council work, it was easier to soap (weak solution) as it stopped brushes (dont forget the unger hiflo brush has feathered ends to bristles) caking up with rain grease and saves time on cleaning em, like i said we didn't have a lot of people to turn to for advice in them days, the bloke from omnipole was great tho, nice helpful, felt sorry for me and sold me an ro unit from a stall (at cost he said) at feds show in coventry i think it was, i couldn't stretch to the price of a carbon pole n brush in them days as they were min a couple of grand plus the gooseneck plus the brush..way too much for a bloke in a series 2 landy doing council work and subbing thru minster for commercial.

anybody got a cheap pole n brush inc goose neck as last time i had no gooseneck and had to wear full water proofs...god i sound a right tight arse don't i?

cheers

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 10:26:16 am »
hi kris,

just noticed your post...yeah work planned for today is leaded front and back...a bit of a no no as its predicted heavy rain all day...bit p@ss@d off....but hey ho...can catch up on other stuff as haven't got enough work yet for it to stress me out...you workin?

cheers

Xline Systems

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 10:27:12 am »
yes the pump would be fine pushing the water through a di unit. we are competative on new poles but have no second hand poles in at the mo.
hope this is of help.

james    (xline)

kris martin

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 10:29:43 am »
nah not today, gutted means i will have to work monday, bit skint at the moment aswell because im saving up to get married....  i work 20 miles from where i live so to drive over to manchester and there be thunder storms will be a big waste of time...

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 10:31:56 am »
sorry x line,
just realized your a business, maybe i'm a dim...lol,  due you sell the pump and di unit i need? if so how much? whats your cheapest alternative to our unger shoulder / back killer?

email if you don't want to tell me in public

shauncollier@mac.com

cheers

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 10:34:18 am »
tell me about it kris,

don't fancy being up triple alloys in this...i could end looking like them guys in 118 ads

Xline Systems

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2008, 10:36:34 am »
alrite shaun i can call you on the number off your website if you so wish or give me a ring. you can put me in the complete picture then. or ring me on 0115 9394444

cheers james

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2008, 10:39:06 am »
forgot about my website,

that number useless, should update it really

07918 698 794

cheers

kris martin

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2008, 10:42:19 am »
on my way too work yesterday driving past hollingworth lake there was a guy (wc) top of the ladder chucking it down and windy as hell... absolute madness, but i cant say i have never done it, but it was reassuring knowing i wasnt going to be climbing.....      i'm Fed Up now, need something to do......

Xline Systems

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2008, 10:44:36 am »
tried phoning got answer phone