Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Ben Staerck

Head Grease Removal from leather
« on: April 26, 2008, 01:20:19 pm »
Removing head grease from a pull up leather using 3 simple products.

1. Leather Ultra Clean.
2. Alcohol Cleaner
3. Leather Re-Colouring Balm.

And, an extraction machine!

Before Photos Below

Ben Staerck

Re: Head Grease Removal from leather
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 01:22:14 pm »
The top photo is of one cushion and the below photo is of another cushion - totally soaked in grease.

The leather is soaked in ultra clean and alcohol cleaner to loosen the grease that latches onto the leather fibres. The solution is then sucked out using a machine.

Ben Staerck

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 01:23:37 pm »
The photos above show the grease totally removed, the application takes only about 1 hour to wet, extract and dry.

The photo below shows the colour half restored using the leather re-colouring balm.

Ben Staerck

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 01:25:16 pm »
The final photos below show the cushion fully restored using the leather re-colouring balm.

The next step is to then buff the leather to a high shine by applying the leather protection cream. This will restore the lustre. This stage isn't shown in the photos as I am yet to do it, it will also remove any excess balm on the leather surface and seal it in.

carpet guy

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 02:07:34 pm »
That is a very good lesson Ben and will boost the confidence of many, well done. As the saying goes " apicture paints a thousand words " or something like that.

rob

*paul_moss

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 03:53:43 pm »
Well Ben :o
Shaun posted a similar thing about one he did with similar results.
Ive not yet had the opportunity to try it, but soon as I will.
Great result  ;D
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

Ben Staerck

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 04:12:01 pm »
The quickest method I have found is a slight adaption of the above guide.

1. Wet with ultra clean (as a foam) - basically cover the grease in foam and let it soak in.
2. Spray a small amount of alcohol cleaner onto the disipating foam and then massage into the leather with your fingers. Apply more ultra clean foam and continue to massage.
3. Keep the leather soaked over a 5 minutes period and then extract the solution from the leather.

You find that as you extract the solution the leather starts to lighten as it dries.

4. After about 5-10 minutes of extraction, apply a coat of leather degreaser and allow to dry.

What I have found is that when using the extractor, small pockets of grease may resurface, so instead of wetting the leather again and extracting that area, it is quicker to use the degreaser, and then brush it off. This also makes the leather dry out quicker so that you can apply the re-colouring balm sooner.

*paul_moss

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 04:15:32 pm »
Ben when extracting do you just suck out or do you flush clear with water as you extract?
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

Ben Staerck

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 04:59:52 pm »
Just extract. Not tried flushing with water yet.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2008, 06:07:42 pm »
Put plenty of dust sheets down when flushing with water and it's a good idea to have terry towels at the ready it can get a bit wet/messy but it's worth it, on untreated leather like Ben's picture above which looks like wax pull up I would just be careful on leaving uph. tool marks so wipe everytime to get rid of tram lines.

Shaun

gwrightson

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2008, 06:54:14 pm »
shaun ,
would it not be a good idea to wrap some sort of toweling over the hand tool to prevent this?

Geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha