Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Shirl

I cleaned my first rug and guess what...
« on: April 13, 2008, 05:19:45 pm »
Right I thought I would have a go at cleaning a rug as my first thing.  I vacuumed it well and then made up a pre spray with the pro chem.  Wasnt really sure of dilution so I made it 1part solution to 4 parts water.  Sprayed that on and rubbed it around with my hands... best way for me to do agitation with no tools lol. 

I set up the machine and off I went.  I did a good job, well the water was quite dirty and the rug looked fresher, I'm sure it'll be better when I've got the proper solution (coming tomorrow)

I then cleaned up the machine and put it away.  Then I went back into the room to admire my handi work.... and found the dogs laid out on the rug!!

So here's what it looks like now http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i119/cooip/carpet.jpg

I'll get the machine back out then...... ;D

Re: I cleaned my first rug and guess what...
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 05:28:08 pm »
Try Prochem Dogward. This is a very good product keeping dogs and other pets at bay from cleaned areas.

It dries neutral so just works long enough to do it's job.

Shirl

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 05:54:13 pm »
Well shouting "get your furry butts of my carpet" seems to have worked so far.  They got up looking deeply offended and took themselves off to their beds  :o

PS its clean again now!

mark_roberts

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 06:32:41 pm »
Hope your not intending in going into peoples homes and charging.

Mark

des

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 07:12:01 pm »
Shirl try my way next time .Hoover carpet - pre spray and agitate - clean carpet -then hang carpet over door to dry. Dogs do not stick to carpet
des at mister clean

Derek_Walker

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 07:49:43 pm »
hope you used the marigolds if you agitated the prespray by hand, those chemicals will damage your skin after time. Get yourself some good brushes for a better result.

Shirl

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 10:13:59 pm »
Des your idea is good but I think I'll hang the dogs over the door next time.  ;D

Derek no I didn't but I wish I had because my fingertips feel like I've taken the skin off.  I've ordered a brush and proper chemicals and they should be here tomorrow.

Davep Yes I agree however this was just a free sample that came with the machine and it only had dilution recommendations for using in the machine, not as a pre-spray.

Mark no I am not going to be going into people's houses and charging, but do you really think its that crap?  I am always open to any tips to help me make a better job, what do you suggest?

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 10:35:50 pm »
Shirl be careful what you put near your skin it's wise to wear gloves as the chemicals although most aren't as harsh as they used to be will at least dry your skin out and make it crack! so get some hand cream on them NOW!! ;D

Best bit of advice is read the label first which I think you get the Gist of but if you do your upmost to get things dry very quickly you will reduce alot of problems.

The best way to get things dry are loads of dry passes ie go over and over the item just sucking out the water you have previously put on it AND open the window about 1-2 inches in the winter and fully in the summer to get air in but you can also put the heating on to make 'dry air' which will push the moisture to the open window. NEVER but items on radiators as the item will probably go distorted.

Shaun

Shirl

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 10:49:11 pm »
Many thanks Shaun, I take your tips on board.  Although I'll wait until I go to bed before putting handcream on as my fingers will slip off the keys  ;D  My brush will be here tomorrow so I won't be doing that again.

I will say that I am a little dissapointed in the results.  I know I'm a newbie but considering the colour of the water I would have expected the rug to look a little 'newer'  I'm getting some Nemesis liquid tomorrow so I shall pre-spray with that and agitate with the brush.  Would I be right in thinking that then I only use hot water in my machine, otherwise its a lot of chemical in the carpet?

The dogs are asleep on the rug, it gives me an excuse to clean it again when my new tools arrive.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 11:04:45 pm »
Give the rug a damn good vac then apply Nemesis diluted in hot water aggitate and then use hot water in machine to clean, you will see even more dirty water come out!

Don't be worried about the dirty water coming out look for the appearance on the rug, getting all of the dirty water out is like getting all of the foam out of a sponge there always can be a liitle left.

Shaun

Shirl

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 08:52:31 am »
Thanks again Shaun. I shall follow your method. 

PS I enjoyed the video on your website.  It cant have been you speaking though if you are a Sheffield lad!  (from Mexborough myself)

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008, 06:58:12 pm »
No it's an infomercial made by another company.

Shaun

*paul_moss

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2008, 07:30:11 pm »
Not even Shauns customers can understand what he says  ;D
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL