Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Simon Gerrard

Mentoring Scheme
« on: March 31, 2008, 09:44:23 pm »
Having been around this site for a while now, I notice that there a lot of very experienced and knowledgeable operators along with perhaps many more relative newcomers to the industry.
Has anyone ever thought of setting up a Mentoring Scheme where a newcomer is paired with someone outside of their area who has experience in their type of work and equipment who could help the with the many technical aspects of the job and also help in marketing, quoting etc, etc.
To be fair, I recently gave someone a pretty hard time because he didn’t know how to take draft marks out of a carpet, or wasn’t sure how to do it. Looking back I shouldn’t have been so swinging in my comments because at the very least the guy had the guts to ask the question and thinking about it there must be others out there who have not only one, but many questions that they would love to ask but are reluctant to do so. (perhaps because of miserable old buggers like me who give them a hard time... fair comment!)
So would some of you experienced chaps be prepared to take on someone who needs your help in developing his business?
It’s just a thought and no, I’m not trying to talk myself into a job, like I said, I’m a miserable old bugger that rants too much, but there are the likes of Paul Moss, Shaun Ashmore, Doug Holloway, Mike Halliday, Chris Straker, Ken Wainwright and many, many others (please don’t be offend if I haven’t mentioned your name) who clearly know what they are talking about and could use that knowledge to help others and in-so-doing, the wider industry.
Food for thought, or just another idiotic rant?

Simon

Paul_Ashworth

Re: Mentoring Scheme
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 09:56:15 pm »
Simon,
Its a good Idea, imo i did think you went a bit over the top with the draught mark guy but just put it down to you having a bad day :) LOL What you have to rember is it will take a lot of somebodys time to mentor someone, as a relative newbie to this industry i do wish id had a mentor as i have probably lost business due to inexperience in the past.

You could perhaps start the ball rolling with the Draft mark guy ??

Shaun_Ashmore

Re: Mentoring Scheme New
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 10:01:00 pm »
CPros  tried this a few years ago but it never took off but perhaps its time it did.

Shaun

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 10:15:54 pm »
Those who are looking for a mentor find one. It's a really weird phenomina.

Trick is to match up with someone with similar values and beliefs. There are lots of different ways to be successful in any walk of life.

Another approach is people puttiing their own unique talents into a common goal, where like minded people achieve more than they could do alone.

Sorry finished work at 9pm and half way through a bottle of red. ;D

dan roberts

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 10:22:02 pm »
Paul, I am that Draught Mark Guy!!
Thanks for your comments!
This Mentoring Scheme that is mentioned is funnily enough why I am on this site, DAILY! Because guys like you and all the others have helpful stuff to talk about and advice to give and a joke to tell etc etc, hence this site being as interesting as it is, and useful to the likes of the newbie!
My point is that Clean It Up is here for HELP, not knocks, so why the need for MENTORING when its already here, bar a few unhelpful participants....

Dan
Life moves pretty fast, if u dont stop and look around once in a while, u could miss it.

dan roberts

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 10:23:50 pm »
Me too Mike Osbourne, Cab Sav Chilean, from the posh supermarket  Lidl's!!!

:P
Life moves pretty fast, if u dont stop and look around once in a while, u could miss it.

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 10:31:49 pm »
Me too ......... got a rather cheeky 1664  ;D

dan roberts

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 10:42:50 pm »
Sweet beer there Chris, more summer time for me, Red wine in these darker months, into dry french whites in Spring then full on cider and lager for the whole (three week) great british summer.....

Dan  8)

sherco

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 10:52:24 pm »
Im new to carpet cleaning a couple of guys have offered to take me out for a day, one being Chris Straker and Pete (ex lands) havent taken them up on it yet.
Natural stone floor restoration service.
Natural stone fixing and repairs.
www.poshstonefloors.co.uk

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 11:04:59 pm »
Lidl do some cheeky little numbers.

Don't buy the white wine though because the staff arnt allowed toilet breaks.

dan roberts

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 11:17:57 pm »
Cheeky lil numbers!!

Ah how alcohol seems to bond us Brits eh?

Back to carpet fitting, what nails do I use to staple up an Axminster to the skirting boards before doing a bonnet buff with blue rinse so I dont over wet the door handles?

Dan ???

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 11:57:26 pm »
What a brilliant idea Simon, I could do with a bit of mentoring! Let’s say you come down to Newbury and mentor me cleaning 13 apartment blocks.
Only kidding Simon this reminds me of the good old days when Clean talk first started and we all use to get together and swap ideas.  Without the help of Paul & Matthew who had the fore sight to create that board none of us old fogies would have ever of meet.  Now’s there’s a  thought  and to think Simon most ran portables and knew nothing else, look how the industry has grown over the last 10 years and how we have all come together pooling our ideas not only with equipment but marketing ideas too.
In those day we all use to stick our heads above the parapet and get them shot off with all the stupid question asked at the time, but hey how are you supposed to learn if you don’t ask!. 
Which reminds me you wouldn’t know anyone who wants’ to buy a Prochem power glide once used by your fair hands?
I think anything that helps this industry grow is not a bad thing and mentoring the new starters has got to be a plus. ;)

There now I have had my rant.

*paul_moss

Re: Mentoring Scheme New
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2008, 08:50:00 am »
Simon a good point and one I touched on in January and with the help of Dave Leahona ( I  just know i keep spelling his surname wrong ) started others thinking and hence the CCDO.

The guys coming to this next week are a mixed bag of very experienced guys who will prob walk away with only one or 2 tips but being able to put faces to names and have a good rant and p*ss  up. Then there are going to be new guys who will get loads of info and TIPS.
TIPS is the word in my eyes, as the day as I hope it will turn out to be, will be one were you learn things that you dont get taught at courses, the tricks of the trade if you like,things that people try out and adjust and find out a better or quicker or cheaper way of doing it.
Now some ( mention no names) think this is a bad thing but its not.

TRAINING IS A MUST, and every body should do some form of basic entry level trainning courses to get an understanding of what they are doing and learn the dangers before they let loose on their customers.
From that point they start to learn the game and over time and with experience they develope and learn more advanced skills .

Lets hope the CCDO  with this slant to it is the start of good things to come, not only for learning different skills, but for mentoring, marketing,networking and more impotantly if Pete Sweeney gets his head round it MAKING US ALL SOME MONEY.
Because at the end of the day that why we do this, it is a living for us and we would all like to earn more. I think thats were many other set ups/ organisations have fallen or let them selves down. There is a massive market out there to grab, just look at the big franchises.

Any way my rant over with now.
Simon you started it  :D
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL