Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

carpet magic

Carpet repair
« on: April 02, 2008, 09:58:17 pm »
I would love to start small carpet repairs ie cigarette burns. Is this something I can learn quickly? can anyone please help.?

Steve Barnett (Carpet Care Plus)

Re: Carpet repair
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 10:08:03 pm »
Don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, but I have never been asked to repair a carpet in the 25 years that I have been selling and installing them, not sure what market there would be for your services.

ollie

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 07:47:35 am »
I get asked a lot if I can repair damage (I dont) and in a house I was doing an EOT in last week the owner had a local guy come round to fix a cigarette burn.
ollie

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 08:15:23 am »
I was going to start a thread on this very topic. (May still do! Let me know if you want to find out more.)

Just returned from the IICRC course on carpet repairs which covers such things as re-tufting carpets (both tufted and woven) and replacement/patching carpets whereby the damaged carpet is cut out and replaced with another piece.

I'm really fired up about it. You know the times when there is a cigarette burn or an iron burn or a plant pot stain and you tell the customer that it is permanent. Well now I'll be able to do something about it. Also covered how to correctly fit a carpet so you can charge for such things as re-fitting around doorways or where the carpet has come off it's grippers.

Suggested guide price for repairs being 10% of the value of the carpet (including fitting) depending upon number/complexity of repair and whether you are in the owner's house or it is an EOT job.

Just like we tell customers there is more to carpet cleaning than just sloshing some water around I'm now aware of many of the mistakes made by carpet fitters (and no, I would not dare to say I'm a qualified fitter, it's just that I now know a lot more about the pitfalls and short cuts that occur.)
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

ian loughlin

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 10:29:45 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeQmlx87HQA

This guy might be of some help.

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 01:40:24 pm »
Thought that was entitled "how NOT to repair a carpet"!
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

C.C.S.

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 02:05:16 pm »
mr magic, alltec do a carpet repair course, i believe that john thompson is the instructor & he makes a living out of it, its prob the only course i hav'nt been on. C.C.S

Steve Chapman

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 04:43:28 pm »
We've been doing small repairs for some time now and is a real niche market as most carpet fitters cant be bothered and lots of cleaners dont know how.

We use a cookie cutter for most cigarette burns and its really effective, once you've praticed a bit first, theres not much to it, but you do have to qualify a few things first, i.e. do they have spare carpet that matches well, " it may not look perfect" etc.

We charge around £40 per repair and takes about 15 - 20 minutes.

We've never had a complaint yet, but i would say it works best on dense tufted carpet rather low profile or looped.

steve

spindle

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 04:58:27 pm »
 i think that for EOT the landlords are to tight to pay for repairs.........they are only cheap carpets anyway.....so why would they pay £30/£40 to repair it when they can get a new carpet for just a little more............

landlords normally make the tenant replace/repair the carpet.......and it comes off the deposit
life is one big learning experience!!!!!!!